k14 turbo noise

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
k14 turbo noise
So the turbo i swapped over has quickly (like within 30 miles) developed a loud siren noise, much louder than the one I had one before, and it'll do it when not under load, ie giving it a rev in neutral.

Pulls ok, haven't noticed any blue smoke.

Likely to be completely knackered? Or live with it until I source another and build up the energy to swap a turbo ...

Its running 25ish psi btw
Thanks given by:
I'm running a K14 also... what pipework you running from the turbo->filter?
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
ginge191 Wrote:I'm running a K14 also... what pipework you running from the turbo->filter?

standard plastic setup
Thanks given by:
Pipe may have slipped of the inlet? I'd suggest get under, give it a few rev's and find where the sound is coming from?
Thanks given by:
ginge191 Wrote:Pipe may have slipped of the inlet? I'd suggest get under, give it a few rev's and find where the sound is coming from?

meh, tomorrow...
Thanks given by:
zx_volcane Wrote:
ginge191 Wrote:Pipe may have slipped of the inlet? I'd suggest get under, give it a few rev's and find where the sound is coming from?

meh, tomorrow...

my frame of mind lol
Thanks given by:
its holding boost ok though, and the noise goes up and down with the revs, not the boost.

I.e. if you let off the boost drops almost instantly, but the siren sound winds down
Thanks given by:
yeh, it sounds to me it's just turbo spool...
my "siren" goes after like 4/5 psi, then comes back on when i shift down etc...
Thanks given by:
ginge191 Wrote:yeh, it sounds to me it's just turbo spool...
my "siren" goes after like 4/5 psi, then comes back on when i shift down etc...

nah deffo not turbo spool, this come on from 5psi onwards and sounds like the fuzz
Thanks given by:
Sounds as if its knackered Tbh. my K14 was knackered, burning oil and getting noisy but still boosted ok.
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
question is though, have i knackered by asking too much boost of it in such a small amount of time, or was it knackered anywho and i've brought it to the forefront.

didn't start off noisy, but hasn't taken long to sound fecked.

looking at rover 1.8t turbos, but they're kinda hard to get hold of tbh, and the one off the landrover has a ridiculous exhaust angle thing going on, can't see it ever going on an xud easily
Thanks given by:
I doubt you have broken it in such a short time, a good one will hold 30psi for a while. do you know any history of it? Like has it sat around in a garage for a while?

What turbo is on the rover?
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
Its been sat around for a while in a garage, can't remember what it was off ...

rover has the gt2052s i think, but i've been asking around for a while now and they either don't come up or are snapped up real quick, on the rover only came on the zt and 75's models which are probably now dwindling in numbers... need to find out what else has them on as standard, maybe some saab 93's?
Thanks given by:
edit - mbc is fine

turbo knackered
Thanks given by:
If it sounds like a police siren then that points towards it having a bent blade on the compressor normally Smile

Unless there is a lot of play in the shaft and its catching the housing maybe?
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
I have the same problem m8! Not sure if I have the k03 or k14 tho. Came on my dturbo s S reg when I brought it and it has always whistled and done the slight siren noise! Also shes only done 80,000 miles

Video of the noise- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDkf-WcY ... ature=plcp

Scott
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  D turbo strange noise Frosty 41 13,709 20-04-2018, 07:36 AM
Last Post: mangler