Phase 1 XSi 2.0 8v to RFS engine swap

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phase 1 XSi 2.0 8v to RFS engine swap
As it will get MOT-ed (APK in Dutch) beginning of February, it is time to get it's own topic. Will need to get all pictures from Imageshack first but here is a start on the story already:

Over 5 years ago, the waterpump on the 2.0 8v was changed during the cambelt change. Unfortunately, a faulty one (plastic blades) was fitted and broke down. This killed the engine. As it was my very first own car, I could not get rid of it. Same night this one broke down, I bought a GTi6 which is now being restored. So I stalled the XSi... Then we bought a house... next up someone offered me a RFS engine plus 6speed gearbox. An offer I could not resist.

Together with the help of some friends I swapped the engine. But then it was stalled again due to work on the house, a convertible project, a kid... Last year I wanted to finalize the project and in June it went for MOT. Failed: tiny hole in cat, breaks were rusted at the back, braking system could not be bled (broken nozzle), no headlight adjustment, and some small other things. Well... it took me until a few weeks ago to be back working on it again. Fixed everything in one morning! Stupid me, shoeld have done this much sooner!

And today I called my no. 1 garage (150km away from here) for an MOT appointment.

Here is a photo of how the car is today:

[Image: 360.jpg]

More photo's and a detailed timeline of the project will follow soon!
Thanks given by:
First part: Pre-project

As mentioned, this 306 was my very first own car. I was looking for a 106 (as I owned one together with my brother and sister) and I really enjoyed that car (1.4 8v 5 door). My eye fell on a 1.4 XS phase 1 white... but I was to late Sad As I had to go to LA for 4 months, my search was put on hold. In the meantime, my dad was looking for a 106 and found one. After my return back home I tried to search it, but I only found this 306!

In the back of my mind, I told myself: "just drive the 106 for two years, then buy a 306 phase 1 XSi." (GTI was financially out of scope)

The 306 was (near) perfect: right colour, right set of wheels, not to expensive... Went for a test drive and bought it afterwards. Issues: clutch was at its end, exhaust was not 100%. Everything else was working, even the aircon.

Drove this car for nearly 4 years like looking this:

Only thing changed: phase 3 leather/alcantara interior fitted. Only major issue: rust! Which was repaired (expensive!).

Then in year 4 the cambelt plus all ancillary items needed to be changed. Went to a brandless garage which fitted a new cambelt including a waterpump... but a faulty one. Within 3k km, the car broke down. First it started running on 3 cylinders and when I parked it the gaskets were blown already. Car was taken back home and a few days later stalled at my girlfriends grandmother her home (as she had space, and we did not at the time):

At the night the XSi broke down, a GTi was put on for sale. At a price I could afford! Two weeks later it was mine:

Approx. a year later we bought a house with a small garage. So the XSi was transported to his new shelter... (and those pictures I have to recover from imageshack Sad )
Thanks given by:
The Ph1 looks in such good condition it makes sense to get it back on the road. Engine swap itself should be relatively straightforward. I guess you'll have to sort the steering rack too n swap over the dials on the dash too. Any other stuff?

Look forward to the updates. The forum is fairly short on projects these days!
Thanks given by:
Engine swap was a one-day job Smile

At first we did not think a steering rack change was needed, but I found out the wheels rub. So, I changed the steering rak last year... which is a PITA when the engine is already in!

It is in very good condition. Only lacquer peel on driverside door. But I have a new one already to replace it.
Thanks given by:
The XSi was transported by a fellow Peugeot enthousiast to our new home where we have a small garage:

I put her on axle stands immediately so I could start working on the preparation of the engineswap:

The Sebring exhaust was removed and only recently, I found out I could have used it after the engine swap... To bad I sold it already, but luckilly the Sebring from my GTi was available as this one got a Bosal fitted (which is crap).
Thanks given by:
Inbetween update on current status: This Thursday the car will be up for the Dutch equivalent of MOT. Therefore, I did some test runs... Brakes needed to be de-rusted by braking a lot and I needed to check how the engine was performing.

First run went wel, but a bit more brake bleeding was needed. Second run the car was braking better, but I had the impression it was not 100% yet (or am I spoiled with the company car). What was more of a concern was that the car started shaking when slowing down on the engine... Sounded and felt like driveshaft issue. But driveshafts are new! Back home I did the standar driveshaft check: F***! Wheels woble. First thought: driveshafts worn... But then I noticed that the wheels fitted with spacers we not tight to the hub! The bolts of the spacers were loose!
Guess I did not tighten them properly... very strange.

In the evening a friend came over who owns a lot of 306's GTi and a Parter with RFS engine. We checked the car and now all seems fine.

The "Blue Beast" post test run one:

Mud everywhere even on top of the BMC CDA:

Put on miniramps for additional brake bleeding:

Back to the time line:

Removed complete front for easy swap:

Car on transporter to go to the other side of the country for the engine swap:

Unfortunately I have no pictures of the swap Sad Sad Sad We were to busy.

But when the car returned back home I had to replace the radiator and as at that point I did not yet have a phase 1 airbox, fit a BMC CDA:

Then the car stood a while as other priorities took over and a phase 1 convertible arrived that took way more time than anticipated...

When that one was almost done, I started to put the interior back in:
(sorry for bad quality)
(sorry for bad quality)

As I will delete the aircon at a later stage I had to adjust the center console...

Looks like original now I sanded the edges.

Mold. Mold everywhere Sad

After good clean:

Carpet the same:

Notice the weathered knob... have some replacements already.

Putting the car back on wheels:

These are 18" Ford fitment wheels... Extremely heavy and therefore only for storing the car. Wheels are gone now.

And then the moment that was a milestone to me: car back on drive way... Sounded like a dragracer as it did not yet have cat and exhaust fitted :p

Morette fitting:

I also bought Sigma Blue ones... From the 5 sets I have I hope I can make one or two decent ones. One for this car and one for the S16.

Back up in the air to finalize the last bits like new radiator hose and brakes:

Thanks given by:
Fresh Dutch MOT!!! I am happy! After more than 5 years it can finally hit the roads again!
Thanks given by:
Nice one! Good to hear it passed its test. The whole car cleaned up really well, but wow, those seats ....like night & day. Gives me hope mine can be similarly transformed? Were they steam cleaned?
Thanks given by: Joep83
Thanks!

I vacuum cleaned them first. Then I used PoorBoys APC to clean them. Just brushed it in, left them for a few minutes and then used an extractor (simple small one) to clean them.

I am a bit hesitant to use a steam cleaner as I am affraid the fabric will shrink...
Thanks given by:
Thanks for the info on cleaning the seats.  I forgot to mention about the problem you had with the loose hub spacer/wheel.  Very alarming!!  Glad neither you or the car came to any harm.
Thanks given by:
Yes. Looking back I think I was ver y lucky the bolts did not snap!

Now the car drove >400km without any issue.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  306 estate engine swap Spoonaltap 44 10,158 01-11-2022, 04:26 PM
Last Post: Spoonaltap