Vivaro camper Van conversion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vivaro camper Van conversion
seeing as most members are now migrating to this section would only seem fit if i joined them!

so what am i going to be doing you may ask
my plan......

Convert a Van into an overnight/ weekend away van for two to sleep
 while towing a car to track days around the country

I have found the Van,
Vauxhall Vivaro 2007 on around 80k miles will be ready in January with 13months MOT
the Van has a tow capacity of 2000Kg so should be ample 

what will need doing.....
everything really from
stripping out the bulkhead,
insulating,
cladding,
flooring,
storage,
utility's,
tow bar,

as you can see its not going to be a five minute project
more of an ongoing Evolution of a Van in use

ive been trawling around the net for inspiration and im liking this type of layout but i want the fold out bed movable / removable so i get to use the full length of the van as a van if needed

[Image: 21.jpg]
[Image: 34.jpg]

so at the moment I am collecting bits and pieces
ive managed to souce a nice lot of 20mm box to build the bed frame and my electrical parts box is expanding too

[Image: 20161209_150440.jpg]

soo watch this space

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
GTI6 Info

Don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Thanks given by:
Really like the look of the Vivaro but they are shocking vans engine wise which as a Griffin lover I hate to say!

I've driven loads of vans & nothing comes close to a transit for me personally. I would choose a Vivaro/Trafic/Primastar all day long for looks though.

Good luck with the conversion, loads already done out there for inspiration.
Thanks given by:
Quite a few people i know doing similar things now with vans like these Smile just be weary of gearbox issues!
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
Good to see another van on the forum. It's no secret I love Transits but the more modern ones aren't value for money IMO.
The renault 1.9 engine doesn't have a great reputation for reliability so I hope you are lucky with this one. Gearbox can also be an issue as I'm sure you're aware.

That said, I know you are meticulous with maintainance and services and wish you all the best with it.
                                             [Image: 2ljm03k.jpg]

I Don't Have A 306.
Thanks given by:
the van ive got my eye on is the newer 2.0ltr with the cam chain not the 1.9 with the belt

GTI6 Info

Thanks given by:
They're still hideously unreliable but if I were buying a van to convert I'd be buying one too so fingers crossed you get a good one!
Thanks given by:
i know the history of the van
it was a utility's van restricted, then was bought by the current owner who has had it derestricted and just runs it to work, and for a few jobs on the side
which he is now packing in so its over sized for what he needs

GTI6 Info

Thanks given by:
(09-12-2016, 08:08 PM)Danny Wideboy Wrote: Good to see another van on the forum. It's no secret I love Transits but the more modern ones aren't value for money IMO.
I'm also a massive Transit fan. I will agree that they are terrible value out the showroom brand spanking but then what isn't these days. £1000 for a second sliding side door is a piss take. Not tried the full size in the brand new shape yet (and would love to try the 4x4 one) but driven a few of the new Transit Customs and by god are they good. Driving position is super adjustable, everything is where you'd want it to be, hugely comfortable even on a long journey, great visibility, reversing camera is perfectly positioned and the handling is spot on. I think the handling would give most modern shopping hatch backs a good run for their money, just understeers on the limit but you've gotta be being an utter dick to get there and if provoked will lift off oversteer. Probably drives across a muddy park at 30mph better than my 4x4. It says alot that my bigest complaint is that there is too much crap round the rear view mirror and it blocks too much visibility if you are tall and have the seat right up.

(09-12-2016, 09:30 PM)cully Wrote: it was a utility's van restricted, then was bought by the current owner who has had it derestricted
What was it restricted to out of interest, most of the ones I see are restricted to 70mph which always amuses me as they legally can't go over 60mph anyway.
Thanks given by:
Interesting project , great idea , will keep an eye on progress
Thanks given by:
(09-12-2016, 11:18 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote:
(09-12-2016, 09:30 PM)cully Wrote: it was a utility's van restricted, then was bought by the current owner who has had it derestricted
What was it restricted to out of interest, most of the ones I see are restricted to 70mph which always amuses me as they legally can't go over 60mph anyway.

Of course they can Chris, under 7.5t rigid can do 70 on motorways.
Thanks given by:
Nice project. Didn't realise we had so many van lovers on here too! First car I was driving around in after my test was a Mk5 Transit, I hadn't finished building my Landy
Thanks given by:
talking of vans, my 1st work van @ 20-ish was a Commer/Dodge panel.
It goes, it stops (as reqd). Makeup
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
Cracking project, would love to do a camper conversion. How far you taking it? For the odd overnight / day van or proper camper?
Thanks given by:
Don't forget to leave room in the back for a trail bike! Tongue
 Bug Out Van!
WoW! That was cheap!  Inlove
Thanks given by:
(10-12-2016, 07:50 PM)306carter Wrote: Cracking project, would love to do a camper conversion. How far you taking it? For the odd overnight / day van or proper camper?

day van /overnight van as per the first post

like i said will be used for trackday transport aswell as weekends away with the wife to see some more of our hidden country

GTI6 Info

Thanks given by:
Ah you've got one too! 

Lots of vivaro haters out there based on the problems with the old 1.9 engines but they've ironed out most of the issues by the ph2 version we have with the 2l dci motor :Smile

I bought mine based on heaviest towing and load capacity in their class, in lwb they're also one of biggest load bays and easier to lump heavy stuff in without the rwd axle raising the floor. 

Parts are easy to come by and cheap, really easy to work on (compared to vw shite) and if you keep on top of maintenance they're pretty trouble free. 

They have suffered from the 6th gear failing but people seem to think this is caused by poor oil coverage but alot where replaced under warranty. 
Injectors seizing into the head seems to be the biggest common problem as water drips off the scuttle onto the head which rusts them in over time. Luckily on mine they appear to have been changed at some point and I hope they greased them at the same time. 

Good choice anyway cully, I'm looking for a towbar for mine to use it as a motorsport support vehicle for myself and customers Smile
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Oh My!
Im now the owner of a 2007 vivaro 2 owner 81k mile van
fully steel racked out in the back with hot water, complete with roof flashing lights!

Big Grin

[Image: 20170127_192510.jpg]

GTI6 Info

Thanks given by:
Wow its actually happened! Any pics of the inside? I see its white to match the 306 lol
Thanks given by:
will get some more pictures tomorrow in the day light as I'm at work till 11pm
there has got to be at-least £1500 of parts and tube racking in the back most of it will be sold off

GTI6 Info

Thanks given by:
How much if you don't mind me asking dude?
I passed on one for £600 the other day and am thinking I should have bought it now.
                                             [Image: 2ljm03k.jpg]

I Don't Have A 306.
Thanks given by:
I paid £2800 with no VAT private sale for a low mile with the newer engine is quite a good deal
My Mondeo and the racking will be for sale very shortly
once the mondeo is sold the van will be taxed Wink

GTI6 Info

Thanks given by:
Awesome stuff cully! I cant wait to see your attention to detail being used on a day / race van Big Grin
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
(28-01-2017, 05:36 PM)cully Wrote: Oh My!
Im now the owner of a 2007 vivaro 2 owner 81k mile van
fully steel racked out in the back with hot water, complete with roof flashing lights!

Big Grin

[Image: 20170127_192510.jpg]

Ex-BT maybe?
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
the van is an Ex Wales and west utility's van sold from their fleet in 2013 when the previous owner purchased it till now

gave it its first wash in the rain this morning, then went looking for insurance.......MINEFIELD!!

[Image: 20170130_114936.jpg]

[Image: 20170130_114923.jpg]

anyone want to buy any racking!?

[Image: 20170130_115023.jpg]

[Image: 20170130_115016.jpg]

[Image: 20170130_115011.jpg]

GTI6 Info

Thanks given by:
how much?
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
Insurance is very easy if you speak to the right people, Paul. Smile
Thanks given by:
Try Comfort Insurance, they've insured several self builds we've worked on in the past.
Thanks given by:
(30-01-2017, 06:30 PM)1616six Wrote: Insurance is very easy if you speak to the right people, Paul. Smile

who are the right people?

or are you referring to yourself?

(30-01-2017, 06:10 PM)Magenta Sunset Wrote: how much?

looking for £400 for all the steal racking,alloy pipe tubes and plastic racking

GTI6 Info

Thanks given by:
Yep PM me
Thanks given by:
why not keep the racking? put all the 306 spares in? the tubes could be used for different size torsion bars... for those quick swap outs in the pits :p
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Danny's MK5 Transit camper. With added 508d content. Transit for sale. £1500. Danny Wideboy 60 16,461 06-01-2019, 02:16 PM
Last Post: Niall