V5C engine change receipt?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
V5C engine change receipt?
My first project (405nad to TD xud)  is now almost ready for a MOT BUT  i have looked at the V5C situation and I havent got a receipt (though I do have the V5) for the donor car that TD engine came out of what do I need to do to get the V5C changed without all the palaver...as i have had the engine some time and got it in Bristol off ebay...
Thanks given by:
i wouldn't bother with it as it can be such a faff.

as long as it is insured correctly thats all you really need
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
You can use the v5 the engine came from to get it swapped iirc
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I thought you could just write the new engine number in and send it off?
Thanks given by:
(07-12-2016, 02:50 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: I thought you could just write the new engine number in and send it off?

DVLA generally like evidence.

I tried the receipt method for the 206 and didn't get anywhere.

When the car went for MOT I talked the chap around to make me up a 'vehicle check' letter on the garage's headed paper saying that it's been checked over and that it was safe for the roads/etc.

Sent that off with the relevant form and everything came back fine.
Thanks given by:
Mr Fish, Forgive me for my naivety but were you able to MOT test the vehicle before informing the DVLA that the engine had been changed? Im sure I could get one of those on my MOT test as I have been going to same place for ages, but wonder whether my insurance would be legit as im going from 70n/a (currently on the v5c) to 92TD. when MOT tester logged it in on the computer it would come up as a NAD!!!
Thanks given by:
yes, MOT never checks engine numbers, even though they say they do.

insurance will be fine as long as you call them and say its Turbo not n-a.
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
(07-12-2016, 03:51 PM)unclebeast Wrote: Mr Fish, Forgive me for my naivety but were you able to MOT test the vehicle before informing the DVLA that the engine had been changed? Im sure I could get one of those on my MOT test as I have been going to same place for ages, but wonder whether my insurance would be legit as im going from 70n/a (currently on the v5c) to 92TD. when MOT tester logged it in on the computer it would come up as a NAD!!!

IIRC I went the whole hog and said to the insurance it was an engine change so it was legal in that sense.

Not sure what the garage did in terms of emissions, obviously they knew it was a turbo'd motor.
Thanks given by:
The engine numbers normally rust off Iron Block engine's so if staying the same CC then just leave it alone or transfer the number over, I could see the point with the DVLA if going smaller CC to get cheap tax but making it difficult has this outcome
Overall Road Going Production Class Winner at BARC Gurston Down Speed Hillclimb 2012, 2013 & 2014 With a class record along the way (For a while), Taking 2nd place will be Ian Redding's 306 GTi
2016 Castle Combe GT championship class winner
Thanks given by:
Don't bother getting it, just use it
MoT checks chassis number only, Engine number is nothing to do with the MoT
As for emissions test pre 2007 NAD limit is <2.5 on the opacity meter, turbo limit is<3.0, so unless it's seriously over tweaked on the max fuel screw it would easily pass either
Thanks given by:
Passed MOT with no advisories...Great!  Tester remarked on the good body condition of the vehicle and gave me a MOT garage headed letter (he signed it too) confirming he checked the engine swop..."all good and correct."

Hopefully that should do it with the DVLA.
Thanks given by:
I wouldn't bother telling DVLA, as long as you tell the insurance about it, all will be fine.
Thanks given by:
Is it worth taking the risk of not changing it? All it takes is some enterprising copper to look at it, see the engine number doesn't match then decide that you've fitted a bigger engine without telling the insurance and seize the car. Also I'm pretty sure it's an offence not to and it's one of the ones that the DVLA and VOSA like to ra*e you for.
Thanks given by:
(13-12-2016, 06:06 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Is it worth taking the risk of not changing it? All it takes is some enterprising copper to look at it, see the engine number doesn't match then decide that you've fitted a bigger engine without telling the insurance and seize the car. Also I'm pretty sure it's an offence not to and it's one of the ones that the DVLA and VOSA like to ra*e you for.

Dum dum, do police really go to that in depth on checking cars?  all i have seen and read is people been done for not declaring to the insurance, or no insurance, tax. that's about it.
I remember one lad on metro power 10 years ago? got his car impounded and nearly crushed for not telling the insurance about the 1.8 vvc engine in, He still had it insured as a 1.4.  The lad must have been giving it some, he was asked by the police officer to pop the bonnet,  The lad must have thought that the police officer would not notice a 160, ( these don't have the vvc on the inlet) But the officer had a 160 lotus elise and spotted it a mile off. He asked him was it declared to the insurance? The lad told him no and the car was impounded there and then, He had to tell the insurance about the engine swop, got the papers through and the car was released. 
Not been arsey with you mind pal,
Thanks given by:
Smile 
I want to do it as legit as the hare brained centralisation of DVLA will allow it, I mean the test now has a credit card with built in button that generates a number matched (as if by magic) on the MOT log in PC....(I had never seen that before).

But what a difference driving a 405XUD with a turbo, after so many years of NAD... Its got the TD short downpipe welded to the full Nad exhaust system so im after the right setup for the TD that I guess will make it even more lively, and Because I have put it in a nad there is a clock where really I would prefer a rev counter! (Is it a big job?)

Didnt overheat, quiet too.... can you tell i`m made up...[Image: smile.png]

And considering it was on full filtered waste oil , with now diesel added...no wonder you all like them!
Thanks given by:
I've seen coppers checking engine numbers, yes.
Thanks given by:
good luck to them lol

highly unlikely they will bother unless you're running an undeclared redtop in a 1.2 corsa.
Thanks given by:
Have to agree with Chris / Dum Dum.... Why wouldn't you? I agree the chances of it ever being a problem with a stock engine is almost unheard of, however, in the event of an accident, or vosa inspection, just about anything is possible, and they will find just about any reason to avoid a pay out / screw you over. Its always worth doing everything you can to keep everything "legal" as you can, especially when it comes to modified cars.

I have always just wrote a letter explaining the engine change, including old ENG number and new ENG number, and got my local MOT center to sign it for me. DVLA have always changed the logbook no questions asked.
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
As above. It's not a big difficulty to do it ThumbsUp
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Telling the dvla about a engine/fuel type change aggyj17 14 2,416 06-01-2016, 12:17 AM
Last Post: aggyj17
  Engine change procedure incase the worst happens when tuning 306Puggy 10 2,461 29-04-2013, 10:06 AM
Last Post: Poodle
  Hdi Engine change (lend a hand) puggyhdi 16 3,637 04-04-2013, 09:12 AM
Last Post: Toms306