Hdi fuel problems

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hdi fuel problems
Hi not been on here for a while as its a berlingo van all the same its hdi and im sure more people on here to help as berlingo forum not to great.
Any way van had had intermittant problems with me not running and then limp mode and cutting out all the time ext and one day last week it packed in, no issues with fuses or relays the in tank pump just wouldnt work, so (van) had to drop fuel tank, ran a live n earth to pump and sure enough it was goosed, replaced with new part, filled her up and it started, i cleared codes (1st) it drove champion for 2 minutes, then back into limp mode and when ever you let off the accelerator it cuts out meaning pull over and take key out put back in and restart. Night mare and embarrassing to get it back home it will start and tick over fine and then ur driving along and cum to lights or traffic and u need to let off but its still in gear it will die, sometimes changing gear it will die but mainly letting off to slow down! Im loosing my mind, you can take key out sometimes and it still runs for a second, i took solenoid out and cleaned made no difference to that any suggestions would be great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
Fuel filter?
Thanks given by:
New fuel filter last week but that was before i emptied the tank to remove hower should it matter as its a new intank pump wouldnt of got shit init would it?

Thanks given by:
(05-12-2016, 09:35 PM)macleod8901 Wrote: New fuel filter last week but that was before i emptied the tank to remove hower should it matter as its a new intank pump wouldnt of got shit init would it?

Important step not mentioned in your detailed first post, HDi's gotta have clean fuel in them, did you check and clean the in tank pump filter too>?

It might be that or air getting in somewhere?
Thanks given by:
It has a brand new in tank pump so what filter should need cleaning? [Image: a0e6eba759b31c16c5841789e342cc43.jpg]

Thanks given by:
Forget that then, thought you'd just changed the electric component of the assembly.
Thanks given by:
Bit of an update... took out the fuel pressure regulator and blasted it with brake cleaner put it back and after a day of use no problems and ive done all sorts of driving, only time will tell but i think im going to get a new one and keep it on me just in case ha! Thanks for everyones input.

Thanks given by:
could you take a picture of the fuel sender unit swiper, the windings, are they a goldish colour please??
Thanks given by:
What you mean sorry, i have uploded a pic

Thanks given by:
Its been mentioned numerous times and was seen in the main fule filter on our 306, some gold colourd "glitter" on the main fuel filter floor, seen after removing the filter element.

Since the fuel gauge lives in the fuel tank, and has a "swiper" across the rheostat windings, may be this is where the glitter is coming from?? a close up of the windings to show the colour may show something positive as to where the glitter is coming from ?

Your help would be great on this as you have an old unit on the bench at the moment. If the unit is dead, then maybe examination of the motor may shine some light on the subject, but only if the unit is dead dead terminally.
Thanks given by:
(07-12-2016, 11:00 AM)pug306driver Wrote: Its been mentioned numerous times and was seen in the main fule filter on our 306, some gold colourd "glitter" on the main fuel filter floor, seen after removing the filter element.

Since the fuel gauge lives in the fuel tank, and has a "swiper" across the rheostat windings, may be this is where the glitter is coming from?? a close up of the windings to show the colour may show something positive as to where the glitter is coming from ?

Your help would be great on this as you have an old unit on the bench at the moment. If the unit is dead, then maybe examination of the motor may shine some light on the subject, but only if the unit is dead dead terminally.

That's a good shout Smile

Be interesting to see what could be inside!
Thanks given by:
Yes, probably a plastic impellor for the pump, but the motor, others are fuel lubed and cooled, maybe debris from the electric motor rather than the fuel gauge windings as they would probably fail sooner loosing that amount of glitter.

Just looked at the pictures again, seems like the fuel pipe emerges from the motor, so fuel passes thru the motor its self??

Other work this way, even petrol ones I think.
Thanks given by:
Hi, yes fuel comes through the motor directly, however.... now you mention it i with further examine the pump later and take plenty of pics and get them uploaded for you, i do plan on removing the pump its self from the unit and sourcing another motor to replace and have a spare.

Thanks given by:
(07-12-2016, 07:49 PM)JTaylor2005 Wrote:
(07-12-2016, 11:00 AM)pug306driver Wrote: Its been mentioned numerous times and was seen in the main fule filter on our 306, some gold colourd "glitter" on the main fuel filter floor, seen after removing the filter element.

That's a good shout Smile

Be interesting to see what could be inside!

My Volvo V50 which uses a Siemens piezo commonrail system which doesn't have an in-tank lift pump also has gold filings in the filter housing. I'd put money on this actually being in the fuel - either from the pumps at the station, or in various places throughout the fuels production - I've seen it on near enough every Diesel car I've worked on.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
As above, my money is on it being in the fuel you're putting in. Only other option is the injectors, as i've never seen those filings in the injector inlet filters either.

Hope cleaning the fpr has fixed it, all your symptoms were pointing towards that as the issue.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fuel Gauge Problems rob-binns 8 2,239 17-07-2013, 08:43 PM
Last Post: Poodle