lets talk cp3 fuel pumps

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
lets talk cp3 fuel pumps
so cp3 have got cheap so i started looking and reserching them. so we can get ones that flow 11mm3 of fuel at a higher pressure than the current setup, the regulation of flow is a new thing on them but we regulate pressure in a diffrent place on the rail rather than on the back of the pump.

so how feasible is flow regulation/metering on the edc15 or will we be blanking the port off

rail is not a problem

fuel pressure sensor: may be abel to use one for a newer system to get a bit more pressure to the injectors

fitting is the easy bit, getting the electrics to work is a diffrent thing altogether

hears some light reading for thos that don't know

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=367804

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=353770
Thanks given by:
Couple of points here really.

1. CP3s can use both flow regulation (ZME) and pressure regulation (DRV) - some engines use only ZME, some use both ZME and DRV to be able to perform well under fast transient conditions.

2. CP3 ZME regulation flows it's maximum quantity of fuel through the pump with no signal applied to the ZME flow metering valve on the pump.

3. CP3s with both ZME and DRV will almost always (far as I've seen) have the DRV built into the fuel rail... Prime example of this is the 1.9CDTI (Z19DTH) engine which uses a CP1H3 (very similar in design to the CP3S3...) both ZME and DRV regulation and has a rail with an integrated DRV.

4. The EDC15C2 variant we have currently is configured for use with DRV only, there are *some* EDC15 variants that do use ZME and DRV regulation, but I suspect there's extra software modules included in those software variants to make this possible (EDC15C11 for reference...)

5. Realistically ignore the fact that CP3s will do higher pressures. Yes, a large CP3 will probably provide up to around 2200bar (depending on current IQ and how much back-leakage) - however, you're likely to damage the original CRI1 injectors used in the 8v HDis with that sort of pressure - back leakage will be through the roof, meaning most of the flow of the uprated pump is going to back leakage, not to mention it's DRV regulated, so the fuel will be obscenely hot and the pump drawing a huge amount of power from the engine. An uprated CP1S3 pump will provide enough pressure to cause damage in the long term to CRI1 injectors too.

6. The software could possibly be adapted to purely use ZME flow regulation, however the amount of work and effort required to do so I think is unfeasible... Not to mention the engines that do this have vastly smaller capacity fuel rails, so that changes in pressure are more immediate... The later ECUs that are configured like this have vastly more sophisticated software (and faster processing) which monitors and predicts pressure waves in the fuel rail to correct the injected quantity due to these pressure waves.

So basically - if you do want to, fit a CP3, ignore the ZME regulator, use a fuel rail off of something 4cyl that uses ZME+DRV and plug the normal DRV plug into the one on the fuel rail and plumb up the return. Go find someone who's competent to calibrate the high pressure control system in software. Realistically, you don't need this until you have uprated injectors and a significantly larger turbo to require lots of fuel, in a short window and at high RPM. A fresh, non-worn CP1S3/R70 from the 2.2 16v will more than suffice for most situations.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by: madmadmax

Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lets talk hybrids dr_jekyll 54 14,686 09-06-2015, 12:59 PM
Last Post: deggerz
Photo Engine Bay - Lets see your pics! turkish 8 3,099 16-04-2014, 09:23 AM
Last Post: turkish
Rainbow HDI 2.2 16v in my 306 HDi?... Talk to me CardHore 24 6,740 23-11-2013, 02:51 PM
Last Post: Dum-Dum