Started... Pulled off, cut out and not started again since. Ideas?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Started... Pulled off, cut out and not started again since. Ideas?
So... The Hdi went in favour of the Alhambra, didn't go far though as gave it to father-in-law.

According to him, he got in it and it started, he pulled off about 3feet then it cut out on him, flashed the stop light a few times and never started again. Unfortunately it chose the totally wrong time to throw its first ever hissy fit in four years as it cost him a job he was meant to be starting that day. And since then its been dead as a dodo outside his.
He thought it could be fuel starvation issues so we've checked the LP pump (was genuine new 4 years ago when I bought the car) thats still working. So opened the fuel filter housing to see if there actually was fuel as when I opened the drain nothing came out (snapped one of the prongs on the lid so need ne lid for housing if anyones got one?) and it wasn't full but there was fuel. He's adamant there should be enough fuel to get it started. Took a while to get enough charge to turn it over and its turning well but just not firing.
obviously cant do anything now till i get a new lid but anything else I should check? All lights inside come on and go out as they should.
Gonna have to tow it / have it recovered to mine and have a tinker as he's given up thrown in the towel and cancelled his insurance then if it fires will be up for sale if not may break or sell as spares. So for now any pointers?
Thanks given by:
a friend had an inertia switch cause a low voltage to the lift pump.

give it a sniff of something and see if it'll run?

timing belt intact?
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
To be honest I didn't think to check the belt but it was turning over strong with no untoward noises and I had it done when I got it at 115k its now at 155k.
Until I get a lid for the filter am knackered for now anyway, gona go have a look at the scrappys on my break tomorrow and need to find a way to get it down to mine. I've got a bar (after last towing it back 25miles on a rope when the thrust bearing went) but still don't fancy doing 18miles on the bar in built up areas, and he just cancelled insurance so not worth the risk so trying to source a A-frame or trailer at moment. Its gotta be something simple I'm sure of it cuz its been such a reliable motor for past 4.5yrs. Gotta be worth throwing £50 at it to try fix it as with 8-9month MOT left and a new clutch one month ago surely I've gotta see £400 back if I get it running again.
Thanks given by:
I'd stick a bit of diesel in just to be sure, is easy enough to drain it back out again if you can't get it going. I don't suppose he's put petrol in it..?
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Didn't smell of petrol when I opened filter. But suppoelse adding a fiver in wont hurt. Only problem with long days is was already dark when I got there so couldn't really see / do much bar try jump starting it. Am popping up tomorrow to tow if about 2-3miles to somewhere off road to store it until sort a trailer to get it down to mine to have a proper look over it. It cost men £300 four years ago and although I've given it up for a bigger family run about I'm still attached / unwilling to consign it to scrap when it could be something simple. A
Thanks given by:
Get it on diagnostics if you can, perhaps there's somebody local with peugeot planet. I'd be checking plug connections, cam, crank and fuel rail pressure could all cause this issue if the connection has been knocked or gone dry.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Dodgy Bob, I have left the fuel filter housing behind the desk at work, has a green post it note on top with your name on. I did ask them to pass it on to you but you know what they are like. Was under the massive tracker screen when i left before.

Hopefully you can get it started and moved now at the weekend

Geoff
Thanks given by: Dodgy Bob
UPDATE

Finally got up there today, after all this messing round and me breaking the fuel filter lid (thanks to jorg for sorting me out), and the problem........

HE RAN OUT OF FUEL

Despite being adamant there was enough in there he was quickly proven wrong, got the new lid on, put 5ltrs diesel in the tank, primed it a few times and BOOM started first time!
I knew my motor would let anyone down! So he lost a job for the sake of a few quids worth of diesel, and not only that, he has since put it off road, cancelled his insurance, and given up on motoring all together. Don't know wether to laugh at him or feel sorry for him. Anyway thats that and there will be a For Sale thread up shortly for anyone interested.
Thanks given by:
oh dear  Nospeak  did you manage to get it moved back up here?

Geoff
Thanks given by:
He cancelled the insurance so not going to do it on the pole (especially after the mess he made of towing eye last time) and the lad I wanted to hire trailer off is away today and tomorrow and I'm doing OT Fri and Sat now so might have to be Sunday now. Gona clean it up, do handbrake cable and straighten the eye then it has to go. Such a waste for us as was (and still is now we've proved it was his mistake) so reliable. Hoping to get about £450 for it. 7.5month MOT left, 150k ish, all common gripes been dealt with and a clutch that hasn't even done 200miles. Damn fool he is.
Thanks given by:
I'd be laughing, got no patience for people who can't consider the option they might be wrong. Glad you got it fixed, sorry it was such a farce.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  hdi very slow revving when first started gavxud 4 1,473 18-02-2014, 12:08 PM
Last Post: andywhy