Engine Undertray

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Engine Undertray
I am looking at getting an undertray for my car. Has anyone noticed any difference with warm up time. The first 1/2 of my drive to work is very sedate so it takes forever for the engine to warm up during the winter.
It has a new stat iin already and sits at the perfect temp when cruising so that's okay.
It's a case of if im able to get one cheaply I might as well as it keeps the engine cleaner and rust free which is a bonus down all the muddy country lanes I have to drive down.

Thanks
Thanks given by:
Doesn't make a difference in all honesty, just keeps the bay cleaner. Better off putting on a thicker coat and leaving the heater off for a quicker warm up in town.
Thanks given by:
It'll probably make a marginal difference as it'll shield the ally sump from cooling air and road spray. Never tested it with and without though, so can't say for sure.

Tbh i'll be impressed if you can find one in few enough pieces that it'll stay on lol.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
there has to be some difference I guess, depending on the air temp.
I say this cos I see it done on "Ice Road Truckers".
It goes, it stops (as reqd). Makeup
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
Mines got one! Came with the car, albeit weighing a tonne as the insulation thing was caked up. Took all that off and repaired it, fits nice and solid as I have all splash guards on!

[Image: 266E75A0-FA10-4ADE-8009-C6C479129699_zpsf5vnvdzn.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(19-10-2016, 09:19 AM)allye Wrote: Mines got one! Came with the car, albeit weighing a tonne as the insulation thing was caked up. Took all that off and repaired it, fits nice and solid as I have all splash guards on!

[Image: 266E75A0-FA10-4ADE-8009-C6C479129699_zpsf5vnvdzn.jpg]
have you anymore pix?
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
In lab conditions it should make a small difference, but real world it doesn't, I had about 3 whole ones between ~16 306s lol.
Thanks given by:
No more pictures are he moment, will get some more next week.
Thanks given by:
cheers.
(I may hang a canvas tarp under mine this winter)
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
It's partly for keeping it warm but tbh I want to clean all the bay out them put one on to stop all the mud and slush from the court lanes going into the bay.

*country
Thanks given by:
You blanked the egr?

Are the warm up plugs good
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
EGR is blanked. Which I have heard can make warm up worse. I have no idea if the plugs are good tbh. I tried to get into the relay box behind the ecu to check them all out but couldn't get the damn thing out haha. It seems like its clipped to the back of the battery box.

I am also considering it a lot for the fact it will stop all the puddles I drive through splashing up and covering all the bottom of the engine and pulleys with muddy water as well though tbf.
Thanks given by:
More likely to do with
1) efficiency of the hdi
2) warm up plugs are dead (not the relay(
3) egr is blanked
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Most likely yeah. But the other benefits sound decent as well and if I can find one in a scrappy or in someone's garden and get it cheap I don't mind the extra 10 mins taking it off to service if it means not having a filthy salted up engine bay this winter.
Thanks given by:
I wouldn't count on it keeping the bay clean. Mine came with it on and the bay is a state (all original and there) but dirty! Haven't cleaned it yet, not sure I can bring myself to clean the bay of a dirty diesel mile muncher.
Thanks given by:
The EGR will only harm warm-up if it is stuck open, on the newer models with a cooler it will actually help warm up. As Piggy says, those plugs will make the biggest difference, naturally test them first to see if they have power going to them from the relay.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Yeah mine has a blanking plate in fortunately Smile didn't fancy loosing any turbo spinning exhaust pressure to the intake if it was stuck. Also the soot they build up is stupid!

As for the heaters I think if I remember correctly I had a go at diagnosing them as the car has a fault code for them. I think I remember getting voltage on them when turned on but I will have to have a go over the weekend and see what I can find with them Smile

Although where you'd buy a set now is anyone's guess haha. Old Dturbo glow plugs seem to be what people suggest.
Thanks given by:
Yeah xud9 plugs work fine.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Sweet. Well I will check with a voltmeter to see if they are even geTring power from the relays and then if they are I will change them all out Smile cheers
Thanks given by:
(21-10-2016, 06:41 PM)Poodle Wrote: Yeah xud9 plugs work fine.

Just been out to test the system. When the heater is on full heat, and then fans on full. I was getting 14.4v to the glow plugs. However I have no way of telling if the glow plugs are working at the moment. Will hopefully test them tomorrow.

Thanks Smile
Thanks given by: