Smoke on overrun

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Smoke on overrun
As the title suggests really, my estate seems to have a bit of white/blueish smoke come from the exhaust on the over run. I had noticed it but had a mate following me back along said about it. It drives and pulls ok and no sign of the white/blueish smoke when pulling on, other than i have noticed it when i reverse reasonably quick. Anyone got any issue to what the issue could be all?
Thanks given by:
Whitish smoke could be unburnt diesel? Maybe a slightly leaking injector not closing properly? Could that be possible?

Or possibly a leaking valve seal or turbo seal?
Thanks given by:
Sounds like your turbo is dying to me. You don't tend to see valve stem seals go on these, but i guess it's still a possibility.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(18-10-2016, 07:23 PM)JTaylor2005 Wrote: Whitish smoke could be unburnt diesel? Maybe a slightly leaking injector not closing properly? Could that be possible?

Or possibly a leaking valve seal or turbo seal?

Hmm yeah not sure, pretty certain it wouldn't be injector relate as i fitted some back along and had them tested beforehand.

(19-10-2016, 05:40 AM)Poodle Wrote: Sounds like your turbo is dying to me. You don't tend to see valve stem seals go on these, but i guess it's still a possibility.

Im wanting to say its not turbo related but not sure, it seems to boost like it always has done. Also i had the turbo off back in the summer when i had my boost leak sound that i thought could've been the turbo but was the inlet gasket in the end, and the turbo felt all good. No more play than you would expect from it. The only other thing that could be linked to my issue is when you rev it up on the spot it chucks a bit of smoke out and sounds like a bit of a misfire. It also done this before i changed the injectors.
Thanks given by:
Sounds a lot like it's drinking a bit of oil tbh, that or you're low on compression on one cylinder. Do a comp test next time you get a spare minute at work.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Hmm, i wouldn't say it uses really much oil at all. I may have to top it up in between services about 1/2 litre max and i service it about every 5000 miles. I will see what i can sort out. Ill try and get a video if poss.
Thanks given by:
Check that your breather isn't blocked or the pipe isn't kinked.

That's a classic time for it to show up, when you lift off and it'll blow a cloud. Remember to check the one way valve in the rocker cover, if that's blocked, I'd put money on it showing up like this.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Out of curiosity what is the one way valve for in it? The breather only goes into the before turbo intake so it should never be pressurised?
Thanks given by:
I checked it back along when i took the rocker cover off to replace the seal and gave it a clean out. I've just got a pipe on it that goes to underneath the engine.
Thanks given by:
What bore is the pipe...? Remember that these normally have a vacuum on the crankcase - if for some reason the engine is breathing heavier than normal, that will almost certainly be causing blowby under light load conditions...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Thanks given by:
(20-10-2016, 08:58 AM)Ruan Wrote: What bore is the pipe...? Remember that these normally have a vacuum on the crankcase - if for some reason the engine is breathing heavier than normal, that will almost certainly be causing blowby under light load conditions...

Ah umm think the pipe is like 20mm. Its whatever goes straight onto the tube on the rocker cover. So it's nothing really to worry about?

This wouldn't cause the kind of misfire when its revved up on the spot though would it? I'll try and get a video of it.
Thanks given by:
Having a vacuum on the crank side of the pistons helps seal piston rings as well. So maybe they are passing oil slightly?
Thanks given by:
Ah no, didn't know it slightly missed when revved... Did it do the slight miss when revved before the injectors were changed?
Thanks given by:
(20-10-2016, 06:42 PM)Ruan Wrote: Ah no, didn't know it slightly missed when revved... Did it do the slight miss when revved before the injectors were changed?

Yeah did it before I changed the injectors, was hoping that was the issue. It's fine when driving though.
Thanks given by:
So the round part of the cam cover by the battery end has a one way valve?

Is there room for a worm drive clip at the starter motor end of the large diameter breather rubber pipe, looks rather cramped down there ?
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Black smoke with exhaust and egr valve smoke in engine Welshy_Pete 35 12,098 30-04-2012, 09:01 PM
Last Post: Poodle