Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ok so I have just bought a 2.0 hdi in perfect condition low mileage and I am wanting to do a few things to get more power and fun from it,I have already put a sportex back box onto the car a step one of project fun (I like the sound) I am wanting to get a nice popcorn sound from the car bit I don't know how to do this (btw I know very little about car modifications)  so bear with me as I am wanting to learn about cars. So in the simplest way can someone explain the 'popcorn'
Thanks given by:
not sure youll get much popping out of a diesel. If its popping its usually on the overrun. So in a petrol you would rev it up to about 6k and then blip the throttle on the weay down and try to get it to pop and bang. Depends entirely on the mapping but its not going to do it like a petrol if at all.

First mods you should be looking for on a hdi are.... lowering 40mm... getting some decent wheels... stage 1 map, decat. That will see you to 125hp.
stage 2 limited requires a FMIC will see 150hp.
stage 2 full requires FMIC and clutch which will see 160hp.
After that youre looking at stage 3 which is bigger turbo and fuel pump etc for around 180...
then after that lots of things breaking.

have fun with it and get a stage 1 map on it! mr whippy or prosteve are the names you need to look for for those.
Thanks given by:
You can get the popcorn/hardcut limiter added by the mapper most the time is you speak to them. Is your car mapped at all?
Thanks given by:
The first thing I would do is get the CAT smashed out. Then go for the Stage 1+ map that HDI-Tuning offer. That will make a very nice difference.

Give it a good service, make sure you have a decent set of tyres on it and it will handle great providing that the suspension and rear axle are in good condition Smile
Thanks given by:
How do you know if the car has been mapped. And more importantly what is mapping
Thanks given by:
(19-10-2016, 02:31 PM)Karlisanewbie Wrote: How do you know if the car has been mapped. And more importantly what is mapping

I am not 100% on how you would find out if it has been mapped. Probably by getting a mapper to look at the software in the car.

Mapping a car is basically just re-programming the computer that controls the engine. You can change things like injection times, injection quantity etc and make more power for often very little loss in reliability or MPG.
Thanks given by:
yeh remapping is pretty much the best way to get power. even with supporting mods like air filters and exhausts they wont be effective unless you increase the amount of fuel etc going in which is controlled by the map. Its about £50. as i said google mr whippy or pro steve and they will sort you out. 90 to 125hp for £50 is a bargain and better yet it increases mpg!
Thanks given by:
Haha bit out of date there, Rowell, Mr whippy disappeared years ago. Pro_steve (www.hdi-tuning.co.uk) is still going strong, but the cost these days is typically over £100.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Ok so ive decatted put new back box on sounds beautiful, im needing some advice on springs- which are the best for the lowest price and also how low should I go to be practical as I live in an area with terrible Road conditions
Thanks given by:
Personally I would only drop the car by about 30-40mm if you live where there are bad roads. I have Eibach lowering springs on the front (which are 30mm lower) and will be getting the rear done soon hopefully.
Thanks given by:
Ok so call it 35mm and roughly what would be the price range of decent springs
Thanks given by:
Mine will bounce hard of the limiter and the wastegate chatter is immense..

You can get some h&r springs that will give you that drop with the same quality as eibachs from ecp for 110 or there abouts
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by: Karlisanewbie
(22-10-2016, 09:54 PM)Karlisanewbie Wrote: Ok so ive decatted put new back box on sounds beautiful, im needing some advice on springs- which are the best for the lowest price and also how low should I go to be practical as I live in an area with terrible Road conditions

So do a backbox make much difference on the hdi to the sound?
Thanks given by:
Those H&R's are £137 at the moment at ECP! Eibachs are cheaper
Thanks given by:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?edit=vd&v=GV-yH9M0KgI
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by: