hdi cut out

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
hdi cut out
hi all , driving car today (hdi 80k) it felt a bit lumpy then stoped , lp not priming , always serviced every 6 k and fuel has never went below 1/4 tank in 12yrs .its the 1st time its ever let me down , its throwing code 0230 , im reading fpr + or sensor and lift pump , where would i start ??
many thanks in advance
Thanks given by:
When it cuts out does it start back up? Does it cut out under normal driving or under load?

My first port of call would be pop the FPR out and check to see if it's dirty and clean it and see how it then goes.
Thanks given by: ghandi0007
Get the lift pump out and give it a good clean. Check the contacts on the connector, mine were not in a good way so I ended up getting a new lift pump complete with the loom side connector and a couple inches of loom and soldered it on!

Does the car ever take a few cranks to start up?
(15-10-2016, 06:31 PM)Frosty Wrote: When it cuts out does it start back up? Does it cut out under normal driving or under load?

My first port of call would be pop the FPR out and check to see if it's dirty and clean it and see how it then goes.

no mate dosnt start ,first time its ever happened and always use maxol fuel anything the car ever needed its got , just after passing mot again no problems , i can hear my lift pump isnt priming , and its original never maped or anything

(15-10-2016, 06:34 PM)reese Wrote: Get the lift pump out and give it a good clean. Check the contacts on the connector, mine were not in a good way so I ended up getting a new lift pump complete with the loom side connector and a couple inches of loom and soldered it on!

no mate 1st kick every time , lp not priming as im a fussy coont any unusual noise i notice , as someone got in and said ive never herd a 306 this quiet ,lol , and she always telling me i need new car , no way i will never sell my car , 12yrs and this is the 1st time it stoped anything its needed it got and to go out and buy someone elses trash and throw money at it , no chance thanks for the reply
Thanks given by:
If the LP pump isn't priming could it be a fuse or cable issue to the LP pump?
Thanks given by:
The lift pump needs to work in order to get fuel up to hp pump to run the car. Thats your issue, check that youre getting a signal at the pump when you turn the ignotion on. If you are then its the lp pump at failt if not then it could be a few things

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
(15-10-2016, 06:34 PM)reese Wrote: Get the lift pump out and give it a good clean. Check the contacts on the connector, mine were not in a good way so I ended up getting a new lift pump complete with the loom side connector and a couple inches of loom and soldered it on!

I sorted an HDI for a friend - kept cutting out - I found that the lift pump elec plug was melted inside LOL - so I did the same as reese - got a 'new' plug from a scrappy complete with some wire and soldered onto car wiring - I also changed the lift pump as I was concerned about the cause of the plug overheating Smile
When it cut dead the  management light came on.
Thanks given by:
Ah sounds like it could be an issue with your lift pump then, as said check for a live etc at the plug. They do give a bit of issue on the 306s. If you replace it try and get a VDO one.
Thanks given by:
Check the condition of the plug onto the pump and see if you have a live on the pump power feed pin (not the level sender power). If you have no live check the condition of the brown relay and its plug in the engine bay behind the ecu. If you do have a live feed give the lift pump a few taps while a friend turns the ignition on - if it starts working at this point you need a lift pump. More likely it is an electrical issue with one of the connections described previously.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(16-10-2016, 08:21 PM)Poodle Wrote: Check the condition of the plug onto the pump and see if you have a live on the pump power feed pin (not the level sender power). If you have no live check the condition of the brown relay and its plug in the engine bay behind the ecu. If you do have a live feed give the lift pump a few taps while a friend turns the ignition on - if it starts working at this point you need a lift pump. More likely it is an electrical issue with one of the connections described previously.

hi mate , plug onto pump seems fine , gauge still working and reading 10.8 on the meter , and the relay seems to be fine , gave it a few taps aswel and nothing happened also all fuses seems to be ok
Thanks given by:
So is the PUMP actually getting power? Works and delivering fuel to the filter in the engine bay??
Thanks given by:
(17-10-2016, 05:45 PM)pug306driver Wrote: So is the PUMP actually getting power?      Works and delivering fuel to the filter in the engine bay??

it seems to be getting power but not priming or sending fuel to filter , turns over but wont start , diesel gauge working and multi meter reading 10.8 , im new to all this mate
Thanks given by:
There are two power feeds on the plug to the pump, one for the level sender and one for the pump itself. The pump feed itself will only receive power for the first few seconds after turning the ignition on, so you will only get a reading in that time window, hence why you need an assistant to turn the ignition on while you are testing it.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(17-10-2016, 07:52 PM)Poodle Wrote: There are two power feeds on the plug to the pump, one for the level sender and one for the pump itself. The pump feed itself will only receive power for the first few seconds after turning the ignition on, so you will only get a reading in that time window, hence why you need an assistant to turn the ignition on while you are testing it.

its going up to 11.7 v then droping to 3 afterwards just like you said mate , just took the lift pump out is there any way to check it , also whats the best way to clean it

thanks in advance
Thanks given by:
Carefully, there is a good guide in the guide section how to remove and clean pump filter etc.. Should be battery voltage at the pump I think.

goto repairs and mods section, guides, index then hdi section,   hdi engine management info,.......scroll down....       look for hdi.doc word document, download and print off, very useful info in there. says what type of pump it is, roller?? from memory........

dont know how to put that info here.....for you. Thanks cully brilliant info.
Thanks given by:
I'd be surprised if you don't need a new pump, but you can certainly try cleaning it first.
...UPGRADING...

(19-10-2016, 05:39 AM)Poodle Wrote: I'd be surprised if you don't need a new pump, but you can certainly try cleaning it first.

i cleaned it mate and nothing , im going to order a new vdo pump now . ill let you no when i stick it in . cheers
Thanks given by:
Could you do an inquest into the buggered pump/gauge, to try and find out where the "glitter" or "gold bits" come from the pump/gauge resistor, and end up in the main f/filter body bottom?

How dirty is the pump filter screen and any "bits" blocking and jamming the pump motor?
Thanks given by:
This is the biggest load of toss I've ever heard in this thread, , a new or second hand lift pump is peanuts, get under your rear seat lift the black cap, get someone to turn the ignition on and as they turn it on whack the top of it pretty hard with your fist a few times, may take a few attempts, if it starts priming then there your issue, whack a new lift pump in, 99% of the time that's the only diagnosis process you need to do. Checking voltage etc and cleaning up connectors is just wasting time imho keep it simple

Thanks given by:
Nice to know some of the old xud boys are still sharing their mad skillz. You'd have to be a total moron to think it was sensible to shell out a hundred odd quid for a pump because you couldn't be bothered to spend two minutes checking the live feed with a multimeter.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Big Grin 
(19-10-2016, 04:07 PM)ghandi0007 Wrote:
(19-10-2016, 05:39 AM)Poodle Wrote: I'd be surprised if you don't need a new pump, but you can certainly try cleaning it first.

i cleaned it mate and nothing , im going to order a new vdo pump now . ill let you no when i stick it in . cheers

i got the new VDO lp today put it in and boom 1st turn of the key started , well chuffed
thanks all for your replies
Thanks given by:
(25-10-2016, 05:10 AM)Poodle Wrote: Nice to know some of the old xud boys are still sharing their mad skillz. You'd have to be a total moron to think it was sensible to shell out a hundred odd quid for a pump because you couldn't be bothered to spend two minutes checking the live feed with a multimeter.

totally, a friend had very similar symptoms monday night at Heathrow after parking up a recently purchased 306 estate, I thought it could be the lift pump or a relay, turns out it was a voltage drop through the inertia switch.
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
(26-10-2016, 01:51 PM)welshpug Wrote:
(25-10-2016, 05:10 AM)Poodle Wrote: Nice to know some of the old xud boys are still sharing their mad skillz. You'd have to be a total moron to think it was sensible to shell out a hundred odd quid for a pump because you couldn't be bothered to spend two minutes checking the live feed with a multimeter.

totally, a friend had very similar symptoms monday night at Heathrow after parking up a recently purchased 306 estate, I thought it could be the lift pump or a relay, turns out it was a voltage drop through the inertia switch.

took it for a drive , the eml came on then when i stoped the car kept running for a few seconds then it when into limp mode Angry , im confused its still saying fault p0230 , has anyone any ideas ???

thanks in advance
Thanks given by:
Running on I'd think it was pointing towards the fuel pressure regulator. If it doesn't let the pressure drop the engine continues until the pressure has fell enough for it turn off I think.
Thanks given by:

Not sure if that's aimed at me or not, because I'm not an XUD boy, if you read my original comment correctly I stated 99% of the time that's the only diagnosis you need to do which nobody had suggested, if it works which mostly it does then you know the live feed etc is all good and that the pumps knackered, if it doesn't start priming then by all means check other things before replacing but it's extremely rare that the wiring is at fault on these, now they're getting older the lift pumps seem to be dropping like flies, was just suggesting a 30 second diagnosis process which nobody has suggested Smile,

In regards to the p0230, now you know the lift pump is good you need to check other parts of the system, I'd would start by taking out the FPR and giving it a clean

Thanks given by:
You got it wrong with a bit of TL;DR and made yourself look like a tit by being gobby in the process, happens to the best of us, don't worry about it. Wink  I was sure you used to be an XUD boy, my mistake.

Ghandi, as these two have said, your new problem sounds a lot like FPR issues. Seems very unfortunate to have two separate issues at once and i don't believe in coincidence, is there anything recent that has happened or been done to the car? Perhaps a dodgy batch of fuel?
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(27-10-2016, 06:26 AM)Poodle Wrote: You got it wrong with a bit of TL;DR and made yourself look like a tit by being gobby in the process, happens to the best of us, don't worry about it. Wink  I was sure you used to be an XUD boy, my mistake.

Ghandi, as these two have said, your new problem sounds a lot like FPR issues. Seems very unfortunate to have two separate issues at once and i don't believe in coincidence, is there anything recent that has happened or been done to the car? Perhaps a dodgy batch of fuel?

i always use good fuel from maxol mate i had 1/4 tank then put £20 from STAR yesterday (i always put star in work wan never any problems) , came home tonight erased the codes took her for a drive everything brilliant then when i turned her off outside my house it over ran then eml came back on and giving me two p0230 codes Angry Angry , as said before never gave me any problems before and always serviced every 6k ,.
ps anybody know where to buy the o rings for FPR , may aswel do that with the service , cheers
Thanks given by:
(27-10-2016, 06:26 AM)Poodle Wrote: You got it wrong with a bit of TL;DR and made yourself look like a tit by being gobby in the process, happens to the best of us, don't worry about it. Wink  I was sure you used to be an XUD boy, my mistake.

driving car today cut out again , lp priming eml giving me 3 p0230 codes now erased them and took it home in limp mode , fpr coming out tomorrow in which im reading dosnt throw any codes up , what could be the 3 codes for ?? its still over running , any help would be wonderful
thanks in advance
Thanks given by:
fuel pump relay by the ecu playing up these sometimes suffer from burnt socket pins too so well worth a check but the running on issue does sound like the fpr so a good clean should sort that out.
Thanks given by:
(29-10-2016, 08:26 PM)vincent1 Wrote: fuel pump relay by the ecu playing up these sometimes suffer from burnt socket pins too so well worth a check but the running on issue does sound like the fpr so a good clean should sort that out.

how do i get the brown relay apart ? to check Huh

cheers
Thanks given by: