Eibach/B4 coils binding?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eibach/B4 coils binding?
Hi guys,
It's not a 306 but a Xsara Hdi, so very close.
Rcently I put a pair of B4 with Eibach pro kit 30mm springs and I'm not happy at all.
Springs, shocks, rubber mounts are new.
I had to cut 3cm from the bump stops because it was sitting on them. Even like this, the car crashes hard even on small bumps, especially with two larger blokes on the front seats.
It looks like the first two coils are binding. The picture is taken on an empty car.
Eibach reference is correct. Unfortunately for xsara there is only one reference in Eibach catalogue, regardless of engine.
Is this normal behavior?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
What engine were those springs designed for? What's the part number?

Sounds to me like they are the springs from a smaller engined car, or a different car entirely. They should not be very low at all, around -15-30mm from standard height from memory.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
(10-10-2016, 03:39 PM)Ruan Wrote: What engine were those springs designed for? What's the part number?

Sounds to me like they are the springs from a smaller engined car, or a different car entirely. They should not be very low at all, around -15-30mm from standard height from memory.

i'd concour

sounds like you've been sent completely the wrong springs

no way should they sit low enough to bind or be on the bump stops regardless of engine?

must be off something much smaller and lighter - 106 or similar?
Thanks given by:
Pro Kit E2205-120
Printed on them EW2205001VA
You can see that there is only one reference for all engines
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Eibach-Pro-Kit-Lowering-Springs-Citroen-Xsara-1-4i-E2205-120-2498-/182077141370
Is Eibach wrong and are not suited for the heavier Hdi ?

It is -20mm lower than before, but already had some unknown springs so I don't know how much lower from standard it is.
Lower lip of the wing is at ~61cm from the ground, with 195/55r15 tires.
Thanks given by:
how odd

im running same springs with b8 on a zx with xud engine

drop is around -30mm from standard - nowhere near bumpstops, and not coilbound.

guess drop the seller a call see if they can advise.
Thanks given by:
The seller said that he never had any issues Undecided And thinks the car is heavier than it should. It has only a pair of 307 brakes (283mm) , the rest is stock.
The front should be similar in weight with the ZX.
Can you please post a photo similar to mine?

Did you by any chance measure the diameter of the wire? Mine is ~13mm, I'll measure again.
They were new, in box, but really cheap compared to other sellers. Maybe not genuine?
Thanks given by:
thats normal, standard springs do that too.

ccheck the numbers on the springs
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by: wld
I just found a russian's page https://www.drive2.ru/l/3231053/
He is using the same springs but looks like a tractor compared to mine. I can slip only two fingers between the tire and the fender lip.
My box was red, not like his.
Strange...

Oh, he has the 1.4 petrol engine...

(10-10-2016, 04:47 PM)welshpug Wrote: thats normal, standard springs do that too.

ccheck the numbers on the springs

Standard springs bind their first coils too? Never knew that.
Numbers on the springs are correct.
Thanks given by:
Yes, it's the way the seats are designed to take stress off the last coil, helps stop springs snapping. That's why cut springs don't fit right.
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by: wld
Thanks. So the problem is somewhere else, bilsteins or strut tops. I'll have to investigate further.
Thanks given by:
Check the strut hasnt gone too far into the hub...cant see how but maybe.
Also perhaps check the strut top bearings are right way round and correct.
Damper itself wont lower a vehicle. Could still be wrong springs...like saxo springs
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Problem solved. The bump stops were still too long. Cut another cm or so from them and now everything is OK, even when the car is laden. The stops were new and are shorter by ~40mm now. By comparing with a similar car, mine is lowered by ~35mm.
A guy who builds racing cars told me that it is normal for the first two coils to bind very slightly, especially on lowering springs. He also said that peugeot and citroen in house shocks are among the best and B4's are a little softer than OEM so in my case Eibachs should be used only on B6 or ideally B8 or OEM VTS shocks.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  rear brake binding hedgeling106 12 3,599 10-12-2016, 11:20 PM
Last Post: Piggy
  Rolling road - split driveshaft boot and binding rear brakes reduce power on graph? MY95 28 4,480 23-03-2016, 12:33 PM
Last Post: tigerstyle
  Refurbed calliper still binding MY95 12 2,316 14-12-2015, 06:33 AM
Last Post: Poodle