dummy cv joints

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
dummy cv joints
I may be replacing the clutch soon by taking the engine out for possible egr blanking, but my question here is :

Has anyone got some outer cv joints handy and could provide a sketch to include sizes, so I can make some dummy cv joints to hold the wheel bearing together please.

I am investigating a machine mart engine hoist/crane and will ask about that later, but have limited space/height where i intend to do the job. I have a joist strong enough to lift the engine from, but would need to allow the car to be lowered to its wheels when all the bits etc are off etc., so I can roll the car back and lower the engine to the deck. For that I either need dummy cv joints, or take off the shaft joints, or get some knackered cv joints to fit to keep the wheel bearings together.

Either dummy cv joints or knackered cv joints would be ideal and less hassle.

thanks
Thanks given by:
You can just leave the hub and wheel bearings hanging. The wheel bearings will not fall apart. Ive done hundreds of clutchs and never had an issue. If you intend to be rolling it about with no shafts in it "could" cause an issue but again ive never encountered this either. Hope that helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
As bash said you should be ok with the car being rolled around for a bit without any cv joint through the hubs but when i had my car without an engine for a while and was pushing it around i just took the end cv joints off a spare pair of drive shafts i had and used them.
Thanks given by:
You'll be extremely unlikely to have an issue rolling it about a bit with no shafts in, when you put a bearing in a press you'll see why it's not really a concern.
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
As said you will most likely be fine to just leave it, rarely causes a problem given the small movements the car will make like it.

That said, the pressing in of the bearing has nothing to do with it falling apart as its only the outer race pressed in. I have had my front bearings fall apart 2-3 times on my DT due to it being moved about the yard quite often with no engine, So I do now have a set of CV's bolted to them as dosnt do the bearings much good being forced apart all the time. You can normally tell as it gets hard to push when the disk gets all wonky in the caliper. Just changing the clutch wont give a problem though Smile
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
I have had two bearings fall apart due to no cv joint holding the bearing together so it is a valid concern! Only rolled them about 20 feet too......
Thanks given by:
get down a breakers with a 35mm socket and nab a pair of cv's, loads will fit, xsara 307 xsara Picasso c4 and a few others.

whilst a 406 cv will fit they are larger on the abs ring so will damage the sensor if you fit them.
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
mmmmm, i have a strong joist to hang/block and tackle the engine from for lift, but would need to roll the car back so can lower the engine/g/box onto the deck to work on, its rolling down hill as well !!

dont have a fully covered work space so its not secure, only have a car port to work under.

I have a "beam" to support engine and then remove g/box, but would like engine out for egr blanking,manifold cleaning etc..

same problem if i get a machine mart crane!! limited covered space at front of car and roll the crane with engine/g/box up hill !!! thats gunna be fun.

will visit scrappy and do some more research.

what is the internal diameter of the bearings so can make up a home made bearing holder together er, with tube, long bolt and end washer/nut. I have a lathe.

bearing numbers??

visit scrappy is the thing to do, get  2 knackered cv joints, easier all round.
Thanks given by:
Bolt and a pair of washers.
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
yeh, a big big bolt and washers to fit, or turned up "top hat" affairs.

Went to scrappy today but no one was home, will keep calling in for a while then look for suitable big bolt and some off cuts to make the top hats, buggered cv joints would be easier....not ready to do clutch yet.
Thanks given by:
Scrappy closed today as well, does anyone have a cv joint on a shelf, that you could take a pic of or draw a rough sketch off, dimensions/diameters and lengths etc, so I can turn up some "top hats" for bearing support and drill thru for a pinch/clamp bolt please, please.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ball Joints? JTaylor2005 26 3,983 28-04-2016, 09:36 AM
Last Post: toseland
  Ball Joints HDI LewisG 20 3,331 20-02-2015, 10:12 PM
Last Post: Poodle
  New rose joints for droplinks MCH 5 3,384 05-09-2014, 09:52 AM
Last Post: MCH