lorry sat nav

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
lorry sat nav
Recently passed my category C test so on the look out for a decent sat nav preferably one I can switch between truck and car.

Any one recommend a decent quality one that don't cost silly money.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks given by:
Got one of these for my mate who does scrap metal and he was made up with it as he wanted a bigger clearer screen.

181619707346 on ebay
Thanks given by:
I personally use a snooper s7000 its a bit old now but hasn't let me down with weight limits or low bridges etc and the massive plus is the freeview tv for nights out. It's not all great news though the route planning isn't the most efficient routing when i've tested it locally and if you miss a turn it can suggest some pretty dodgy places to try and turn around.

If you haven't already you should sign up to trucknet.co.uk lots of useful info on there
Thanks given by:
I'll have a look at that site thanks, struggling to get a job at the moment as most people want experience and I can't get experience if I can't get a job I've resorted to the agency and because I haven't had my license back yet I still can't do a job in it.

Thanks given by:
I've been looking at doing my B + E so I can tow a bigger caravan. But looking at the price it only a few hundred quid more to do cat C. What's involved? Did you do a weeks course with test at end? From what I've read I need a medical to gain my provisional licence?
Thanks given by:
Yer you need a medical, you need to pass the theroy,hazzard perception, and cpc computer tests, then I did 4 days doing 4 hours a day driving. Then cpc practical test and practical driving test.

BUT doing the category c won't entitle you for b+e you would have to do cat c then go up to c+e then that upgrades you to b+e, doing cat c means you can drive a rigid truck but you can still only tow a trailer of a maximum 750kg.

Thanks given by:
Yeah just checked the absolute maximum trailer weight is 750kg with a C licence.

Yet with my normal B licence I can tow a heavier braked trailer. Strange.
Thanks given by:
(19-09-2016, 08:32 PM)306carter Wrote: Yeah just checked the absolute maximum trailer weight is 750kg with a C licence.

There's a few weird nuances with licence entitlements a select few for example because of the regs at the time they passed have cat C with trailer but restricted to drawbar (wagon and drag in truck speak) but nowadays you can train on wagon and drag to get full C+E so in an amusing scenario someone with the old cat C can legally drive to the test centre with the drawbar- fail the test- and legally drive away unaccompanied with an instuctor because their situation is unaffected. You don't even have to pass in a manual to get a manual licence anymore,  I drive artics and have never changed gear myself aside from the training vehicle almost 3 years ago.

Chris_90 keep your chin up mate the silly season running up to christmas is beginning you'll get a chance somewhere keep pestering and don't rely on one agency i was signed onto about a dozen before one gave me a start on class 2. It may sound a bit negative but when it comes to the subject of experience if they don't ask- don't tell, it will improve your chances of getting a call. Drivers at firms tend to be good bunches if your stuck with something ask one of them rather than the office.
Thanks given by:
(19-09-2016, 08:32 PM)306carter Wrote: Yeah just checked the absolute maximum trailer weight is 750kg with a C licence.

I asked my trainer about this and he said no matter what you can't drive with a trailer over 750kg took his word for it seen as he trains with stuff like that.

@blaze addict I did a day van driving yesterday on the agency (because my license still hasn't updated online), there needing the truck drivers pretty bad so hoping once I've got my license updated and I've now got my foot in the door I can get some work there, I do plan on signing up to more agencies but till my cards come though post I'm stuck as they all want to see my cards.

Thanks given by:
(20-09-2016, 09:08 AM)Chris_90 Wrote:

I asked my trainer about this and he said no matter what you can't drive with a trailer over 750kg took his word for it seen as he trains with stuff like that.

@blaze addict      I did a day van driving yesterday on the agency  (because my license still hasn't updated online), there needing the truck drivers pretty bad so hoping once I've got my license updated and I've now got my foot in the door I can get some work there, I do plan on signing up to more agencies but till my cards come though post I'm stuck as they all want to see my cards.

I just noticed your from Chesterfield did you train with Peter Smythe in Mansfield by any chance? I did my C+E with them can highly recommend
Thanks given by:
No I did it with Darren shaw training at Dronfield.

Thanks given by: