Hear me out (exhaust help)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hear me out (exhaust help)
Nothing major just need opinions on how this sounds, when I bought the car I was told it had a different mid section and the fitments all wrong so i believe that I'm just wondering if it sounds oem and someone was lazy whilst putting it on because they seemed to have bodged it with cables ties.

I'm also curious as to whether the engine sounds like a bad tapper or fairly normal.

The microphone that was plugged into my camera was placed on the ground under the exhaust tip to give an idea of how far away it was from the engine.

Thanks

https://youtu.be/2Z0__ZNnNY8
1999 - Black Rallye A/C
2002 - Silver 206 1.4 HDi LX
Thanks given by:
Nope, doesn't sound OEM.

Sounds like she's a tapper too. Or needs a shed load of oil. Or both.
Cherry Red Rallye - Full on OEM resto.....
Thanks given by:
(07-09-2016, 09:07 PM)wainwrightj Wrote: Nothing major just need opinions on how this sounds, when I bought the car I was told it had a different mid section and the fitments all wrong so i believe that I'm just wondering if it sounds oem and someone was lazy whilst putting it on because they seemed to have bodged it with cables ties.

I'm also curious as to whether the engine sounds like a bad tapper or fairly normal.

The microphone that was plugged into my camera was placed on the ground under the exhaust tip to give an idea of how far away it was from the engine.

Thanks

Sounds like a bad tapper on my phone.
Thanks given by:
(07-09-2016, 09:31 PM)luke306rallye Wrote:
(07-09-2016, 09:07 PM)wainwrightj Wrote: Nothing major just need opinions on how this sounds, when I bought the car I was told it had a different mid section and the fitments all wrong so i believe that I'm just wondering if it sounds oem and someone was lazy whilst putting it on because they seemed to have bodged it with cables ties.

Thanks

Sounds like a bad tapper on my phone.

I'm not planning on driving it until February, is it worth sorting the tapping out on an engine that's done 119k? Or would it make more sense just trying to find a lower mileage engine out of a gti6 or another rallye? It's not that bad in person I think the editing software tried to remove the background noise but it's definitely noticeable

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
1999 - Black Rallye A/C
Thanks given by:
Its either bent valves or valve guides. Head off job at best. Probably better off either trying to find a non tapper head or fix yours. Easier than an entire engine out job
Thanks given by:
(08-09-2016, 08:12 PM)Ben_w Wrote: Its either bent valves or valve guides. Head off job at best. Probably better off either trying to find a non tapper head or fix yours. Easier than an entire engine out job

Okay thank you man, was at work today and read a lot of your project thread definitely given me some ideas just need to finish reading it now though
1999 - Black Rallye A/C
Thanks given by:
(08-09-2016, 08:23 PM)wainwrightj Wrote:
(08-09-2016, 08:12 PM)Ben_w Wrote: Its either bent valves or valve guides. Head off job at best. Probably better off either trying to find a non tapper head or fix yours. Easier than an entire engine out job

Okay thank you man, was at work today and read a lot of your project thread definitely given me some ideas just need to finish reading it now though
lol, good luck! Hope I didn't give you too many ideas...especially the one that bare metalling the underside of your car on your own drive is a good idea!
Thanks given by:
(08-09-2016, 08:47 PM)Ben_w Wrote:
(08-09-2016, 08:23 PM)wainwrightj Wrote:

lol, good luck! Hope I didn't give you too many ideas...especially the one that bare metalling the underside of your car on your own drive is a good idea!

It's seems like a great weekend project [emoji6] I need to slightly tidy up the underside but I don't plan on going that far [emoji50]

1999 - Black Rallye A/C
Thanks given by:
Yeah that's a tapper alright. Get recon head from Carl Grimsby (mechanical repairs) that'll sort it.

See the sheer power and might of the lesser known burrowing owl
Thanks given by:
Feck me, i thought it were a XUD,, then i realised were in the petrol section here.........
Not always Grumpy!!
306 Cabby SE, 2.0l 16v 
To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be!

Thanks given by:
Rainbow 
(13-09-2016, 08:52 AM)insomaniac45 Wrote: Feck me, i thought it were a XUD,, then i realised were in the petrol section here.........

That bad huh? I've never heard a 2.0l 16v running in person so I didn't realize it was that bad haha I'll have to get sorted some way or another ahah
1999 - Black Rallye A/C
Thanks given by:
(13-09-2016, 09:57 AM)wainwrightj Wrote:
(13-09-2016, 08:52 AM)insomaniac45 Wrote: Feck me, i thought it were a XUD,, then i realised were in the petrol section here.........

That bad huh? I've never heard a 2.0l 16v running in person so I didn't realize it was that bad haha I'll have to get sorted some way or another ahah

a good xu10 (or 2.0 peugeot petrol) will have a very slight tick on tick over, this is because they always have noisy injectors. it is not normally noticable with the bonnet closed though, and dissapears with increase in rpm, as other noise drowns it out. 

but yeah, it is that bad Undecided  time to break out the spanners bud.   Blush
Not always Grumpy!!
306 Cabby SE, 2.0l 16v 
To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be!

Thanks given by:
(14-09-2016, 07:16 PM)insomaniac45 Wrote:
(13-09-2016, 09:57 AM)wainwrightj Wrote:

a good xu10 (or 2.0 peugeot petrol) will have a very slight tick on tick over, this is because they always have noisy injectors. it is not normally noticable with the bonnet closed though, and dissapears with increase in rpm, as other noise drowns it out. 

but yeah, it is that bad Undecided  time to break out the spanners bud.   Blush

Replaced the oil today and it sounds a lot better there's a slight tick as its running but once the revs climb slightly it fades away

1999 - Black Rallye A/C
Thanks given by:
quite possible its a sticky tappet.
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
(17-09-2016, 05:31 PM)welshpug Wrote: quite possible its a sticky tappet.

It's a lot better after the oil change so I'm hoping it will fix itself once it's been running for a little Smile

1999 - Black Rallye A/C
Thanks given by:
has it been driven? often if its been sitting especially with old oil they need a good drive to fill up, though some never quieten down
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
Re-Starting this thread rather than making a new one with more exhaust problems. I recently bought a Scorpion back box as I really like the look and sound of them compared to the OEM one. I tried to install it and noticed that that flanges from the centre box match the flange from the scorpion box which means they don't fit. I don't know if this is my fauklt for buying the wrong box or if the exhaust somebody put on is wrong and they welded new flanges on the make it all fit together which is what it looks like has happened.

I've tried to draw a diagram to explain what I mean but basically is the centre box meant to have that type of flange or has it been changed?
1999 - Black Rallye A/C
Thanks given by:
you're missing a gasket.
Thanks given by:
(31-10-2016, 11:13 PM)welshpug Wrote: you're missing a gasket.

So I won't need to weld any new flanges on the get it the fit It'll work as is provided I get a gasket???

Thanks so far
1999 - Black Rallye A/C
Thanks given by:
Yes, if i recall correctly i bought a bmw exhaust gasket (maybe off a 325tds?) which was conveniently the right size and shape for the scorpion mid to backbox join
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
To get around this on a friends car he cut the flange off the old back box and put that between the two.
Thanks given by:
(03-11-2016, 07:29 PM)DeeTurbo Wrote: To get around this on a friends car he cut the flange off the old back box and put that between the two.

Man that's smart Wink

Never thought of that, can't find the correct sized gasket anywhere and the ones that are the right size are conical so have one flat side that stops the two flared ends from fitting together anyways.

I may just have to do this thanks man!
1999 - Black Rallye A/C
Thanks given by:
i THINK this is what i bought it in the past or at least one very similar:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Exhaust-Ga...Sw9VZXOtEz
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by: