Piston Ring Modification

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Piston Ring Modification
Hi guys.

I watched a video the other day of some v8 tuning company putting nitrous into an engine more and more until it exploded and failed. What failed was the piston. But this was caused by the piston ring expanding so much due to heat that the ring gap closed up causing the ring to then buckle, crack the piston and then very easily could cause a rod to be thrown around inside the block. This didn't happen on the video but it's often what they said does happen.

My wondering now is this though. Could this be applicable to XUD and HDI engines? Could the reason they throw rods possibly be caused by the piston ring failing due to the much higher in cylinder temps caused by much higher boost and fuel?

The simple solution they mentioned was to just file the piston rings down slightly so that the gap was wider. I am thinking this could possibly cause excess blow by but may then mean higher cylinder temps could be withstood?

Just an idea I thought I would throw in as I had seen it and thought that it maybe applicable when people are going crazy with their boost and fueling on these engines haha.

Jack
Thanks given by:
you've been watching engine masters then Big Grin
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
That's the one! I tried finding it again and couldn't remember what it was called Tongue

Video for anyone that's interested Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AScojLj139A
Thanks given by:
Love engine masters. Not sure about the theroy but xuds do throw rods. High cylinder pressures is a factor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
doesn't everyone gap their rings when installing new ones ?

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
GTI6 Info

Don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Thanks given by:
(08-09-2016, 08:13 AM)cully Wrote: doesn't everyone gap their rings when installing new ones ?

You should i doubt many do though. Plus when was the last time you heard new rings being installed on an xud lol
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
Having bent rods without breaking them, I'd say it's not the issue at hand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thanks given by:
(07-09-2016, 07:41 PM)JTaylor2005 Wrote: The simple solution they mentioned was to just file the piston rings down slightly so that the gap was wider. I am thinking this could possibly cause excess blow by but may then mean higher cylinder temps could be withstood?

Just an idea I thought I would throw in as I had seen it and thought that it maybe applicable when people are going crazy with their boost and fueling on these engines haha.

or just fit water/meth injection and monitor EGR to keep a handle on combustion temps.
Thanks given by:
ive also seen this video Big Grin
Thanks given by:
You can tell generally if the motor went ring bound, Most of the Rod failures I have had, the top half of the piston is still in one piece, rings in good condition, and bores happy (vertically that is) other than obviously damage from rod smashing it up etc. Always gap my rings to a fraction over OEM spec, and yet to see a problem.
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
Water injection deffo helps imo, egts font always give an indication of how hard a time the peak cylinder temps are going

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Piston Rings Hobo Ash 5 2,706 15-09-2017, 07:59 AM
Last Post: Dave
  Max Piston Protrusion / Notches Cford 2 1,983 03-08-2017, 05:52 AM
Last Post: Cford
  Piston Wear 306Dan 3 1,420 10-08-2015, 07:44 PM
Last Post: craig306