Warranty on parts from the dealers near me

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Warranty on parts from the dealers near me
I went to fit a back box that I bought from the dealers near me and I noticed a couple of issues with the new back box, one the inlet flange is not welded on at the correct angle. The centre just about sealed on the flange.
[Image: IMG_20160905_161827_zpsk3s3s99h.jpg]

The angle new and old.
[Image: IMG_20160905_161450_zpsogsekoc6.jpg]
[Image: IMG_20160905_161601_zpsv2ulfyme.jpg]

The worrying bit the hanger isn't welded right, the weld on the box has come away and the hanger is partially broken.
[Image: IMG_20160905_161355_zps6i7bp0oz.jpg]

Also there is a crack where the steel has been folded.
[Image: IMG_20160905_161341_zpsrthnne4e.jpg]

I took the box back to Peugeot, I wanted to change it for the other they have a part number for but they said I had to order a new one the same then they'd take it back and send it to Peugeot for them to decide or book the car in to the service department for them to take a look at it. So the car is booked in for tomorrow. If the mechanic say it's ok I'll be charged £80 p/h lol. If I buy another and they send this box away and Peugeot say it's ok I'll be left with two boxes.

I told the guy that the box it not fit for purpose and I'm allowed a refund because of this but he said it's there procedure. 

I'm going to show the mechanic the photos before he takes the car, if he say he needs to take a look him self I'm think of just taking it off myself and giving it him. I really don't want to be stuck with this dodgy box and have to pay another £80 on top.

What do you guys think?
Thanks given by:
wtaf? lol . . . . it's a back box, if it's not right swap it, what's all this booking your car in rubbish?
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
As you say, it's not fit for purpose. Personally i would take it back for a refund, refuse all other options on the basis that their "procedure" doesn't trump contract law. http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shoppin...s-exchange I tend to find once you start quoting dates and paragraphs of an Act they change their tune rather rapidly. Then go and get a box from a decent aftermarket supplier at half the price for the same item.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
That box doesnt look right. Id be argueing the point as poodle says. Dont book it in thats ridiculous they just want your money. I could get it to bolt up easy enough, which they will do. Then youll get charged. Doesnt mean its right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
That doesn't look genuine, it looks like a cheap knock off, can't belive Peugeot have done that or that they would sell it in that condition, i'd be deffinately argueing the toss and wouldn't pay them a penny. like bash said they will find a way to fix it up or in more real terms 'bodge it' to get more money from you. You clearly have the proof that it's no good so do what you can to get your money back.
Thanks given by:
Looks used to me with quick spray job with a rattle can?!
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
(07-09-2016, 05:38 AM)Poodle Wrote: As you say, it's not fit for purpose. Personally i would take it back for a refund, refuse all other options on the basis that their "procedure" doesn't trump contract law. http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shoppin...s-exchange I tend to find once you start quoting dates and paragraphs of an Act they change their tune rather rapidly. Then go and get a box from a decent aftermarket supplier at half the price for the same item.

Thanks for this, I knew I had rights to return under it not being fit for purpose.

Well I've been and spoke to the service manager, showed him photos then argued with him for 10 mins. Then he said what I wanted to here, it wasn't his responsibility.

I took the back box off there and then and took the still hot exhaust to the parts department where the service manager was talking to the parts manager. The crack in the skin now had signs of the exhaust gasses leaking.

Took another 45 minutes of arguing them saying I had damaged the box and them saying because it was fitted they wouldn't take it back and me stating it wasn't fit for purpose for them to find the other back box I ordered a while back (the one without the chrome tip) and you could clearly see the flange was on the piss.

After them getting the other box out the managers manner changed and was being more reasonable, I was happy with a swap for the better quality OE unit.

(07-09-2016, 06:00 AM)bashbarnard Wrote: That box doesnt look right. Id be argueing the point as poodle says. Dont book it in thats ridiculous they just want your money. I could get it to bolt up easy enough, which they will do. Then youll get charged. Doesnt mean its right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is what I was worried about, being charged £80 for bodging the box on.

I could get it to fit myself but after being charged £240 for the box that doesn't fit and then later finding the same box for £80 on Amazon I was proper pissed off.

(07-09-2016, 06:43 AM)P-Courty Wrote: That doesn't look genuine, it looks like a cheap knock off, can't belive Peugeot have done that or that they would sell it in that condition, i'd be deffinately argueing the toss and wouldn't pay them a penny. like bash said they will find a way to fix it up or in more real terms 'bodge it' to get more money from you. You clearly have the proof that it's no good so do what you can to get your money back.

This unit is the after market version Peugeot sell. I can't believe they charge £160 over the manufactures price!
Thanks given by:
I can't believe you've paid that for a back box, it's not a special part, 10-20 quid for an aftermarket one Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
wow that looks like utter balls!
Thanks given by:
That looks f*cking rubbish, I think the pattern parts were 30-40 quid when I last did mine and it looked ten times better than the OP's box.
Thanks given by:
The aftermarket ones are all shit though. It would've been worth paying more for a genuine GTi6 backbox with a decent chrome tip, baffles that don't rattle, welds that actually seal and being made of metal that doesn't immediately rust out....but there's no way that's even close to genuine... I can't believe how much they charged for it either, no wonder they won't take it back!!

If you give it to them they'll bodge it on, easy enough, the mid pipe just needs to be loosened and the brackets bent a little.

As you've now fitted it that won't go in your favour though. Confused

Why didn't you go for a stainless one anyway? It would've been far cheaper...in fact you could probably have had a custom catback made for less!
Thanks given by:
Thought it was a diesel box, cheap ones I've bought from ecp have been fine..... Go figure, sure it was about £17 Smile
Thanks given by:
Your idea of fine must be different to mine. Though admittedly you could keep changing cheap ones for the price of one of the above. lol

I thought it was for his '6, could be wrong though.
Thanks given by:
The cheap ones are shit, no getting away from that, however, that one sold to you for $$$ by dealer, is a cheap one, and its shit, but quite honestly looks used to me with bit of rattle can to tidy it up!
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
(07-09-2016, 09:38 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Your idea of fine must be different to mine.  Though admittedly you could keep changing cheap ones for the price of one of the above. lol

I thought it was for his '6, could be wrong though.

it bolted up, it worked, wtf do you want a backbox to do, give you a fcuking cuddle? Big Grin
Thanks given by:
(07-09-2016, 09:25 AM)Toms306 Wrote: The aftermarket ones are all shit though.  It would've been worth paying more for a genuine GTi6 backbox with a decent chrome tip, baffles that don't rattle, welds that actually seal and being made of metal that doesn't immediately rust out....but there's no way that's even close to genuine...  I can't believe how much they charged for it either, no wonder they won't take it back!!

If you give it to them they'll bodge it on, easy enough, the mid pipe just needs to be loosened and the brackets bent a little.

Why didn't you go for a stainless one anyway?  It would've been far cheaper...in fact you could probably have had a custom catback made for less!

Yes it's for the '6. The whole reason I wanted a OE system was I thought the exhaust noise was to loud and boomy on the motorway from the after market system that was on the car. I didn't realise that the centre section was the wrong unit and had a centre box that is a lot smaller then it should be.

[Image: IMG_20160905_153345_zpstett934k.jpg]

I found a guy that makes good stainless exhaust systems and they comply with MSA noise regs (the system came in at 98db) with a 2.25" OD pipe for £380 and I was thinking of getting that but I was unsure how it would be on the motorway.

I thought OE would be the best route considering the noise, looking the best and the best quality.

This is the box I've returned https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vein-Porte-PG45...ds=pg45557

You can see the manufacture is selling it for only £80.

The OE replacement I've now got hasn't got the chrome tip just a rolled end but the quality of the unit is so much better. You can see inside the pipes blend together the shit one had steps where one part was welded to another, also the way the two halves of the box are folded together looks a lot better.

I'm prefer to buy good quality components not cheap shit and especially not cheap shit at stupid prices but there was no way for me to know what I was going to get and seeing it was from the dealers you would have thought it would be as close to OE quality as possible.
Thanks given by:
Diesel scrubber gets his coat Big Grin I got a second hand full stainless system for £40 lol, just seemed a lot for a backbox, I was just illustrating the price difference, you could always pay a little more if you wish Smile
Thanks given by:
(07-09-2016, 11:09 AM)DeeTurbo Wrote:
(07-09-2016, 09:25 AM)Toms306 Wrote: The aftermarket ones are all shit though.  It would've been worth paying more for a genuine GTi6 backbox with a decent chrome tip, baffles that don't rattle, welds that actually seal and being made of metal that doesn't immediately rust out....but there's no way that's even close to genuine...  I can't believe how much they charged for it either, no wonder they won't take it back!!

Why didn't you go for a stainless one anyway?  It would've been far cheaper...in fact you could probably have had a custom catback made for less!

Yes it's for the '6. The whole reason I wanted a OE system was I thought the exhaust noise was to loud and boomy on the motorway from the after market system that was on the car. I didn't realise that the centre section was the wrong unit and had a centre box that is a lot smaller then it should be.

I found a guy that makes good stainless exhaust systems and they comply with MSA noise regs (the system came in at 98db) with a 2.25" OD pipe for £380 and I was thinking of getting that but I was unsure how it would be on the motorway.

I thought OE would be the best route considering the noise, looking the best and the best quality.

This is the box I've returned https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vein-Porte-PG45...ds=pg45557

The OE replacement I've now got hasn't got the chrome tip just a rolled end but the quality of the unit is so much better. You can see inside the pipes blend together the shit one had steps where one part was welded to another, also the way the two halves of the box are folded together looks a lot better.

I'm prefer to buy good quality components not cheap shit and especially not cheap shit at stupid prices but there was no way for me to know what I was going to get and seeing it was from the dealers you would have thought it would be as close to OE quality as possible.

Ah yeah that's fair enough, though a custom builder should be able to make it quiet on the motorway but louder under load if that's what you wanted. The ST with a Miltek de-res (no centre box) revving at 4k on the motorway is much quieter than the '6 with a Magnex lol!! It's not even loud enough to notice while cruising tbh, but barks and rasps with throttle, not sure how they manage it but however they do it works well. Doesn't give me headaches like the '6s did!

I'm also one for buying something decent quality that works well and lasts longer rather than keep buying cheap crap so I know where you're coming from there.

I'm lost now though, have you returned the expensive 'box today or have I confused myself? lol
Thanks given by:
Yeah, luckily they still had the OE one without the chrome tip which I ordered last week and is so much better built then that piece of shit, I took that in return.

The Veneporte unit looks like a GCSE student knocked up in welding class and the OE one is a work of art (apart from the missing tip).
Thanks given by:
Ah well that's worked out ok then, are you going to get a chrome tip welded on to it?
Thanks given by:
What a f*ck on you had, i would have just got my money back, if they went on like that! then went else where.
I have found Peugeot can be funny with parts mind, they tried to sell me the old style crank pulley, when mine went on the bink, i showed them a photo of the latest one, and they still wouldn't have it, until he ok i will order in the latest one. After a bit of argument. Sure enough i was right, solid face one was handed to me. So sometimes they just tend to try and bump off any old shite by the looks of things.
Thanks given by:
(07-09-2016, 12:01 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Ah well that's worked out ok then, are you going to get a chrome tip welded on to it?

I was thinking of but think I might leave it now.

What it looks like without the chrome.

[Image: s-l500.jpg]

(07-09-2016, 12:51 PM)procta Wrote: What a f*ck on you had, i would have just got my money back, if they went on like that! then went else where.
I have found Peugeot can be funny with parts mind, they tried to sell me the old style crank pulley, when mine went on the bink, i showed them a photo of the latest one, and they still wouldn't have it, until he ok i will order in the latest one. After a bit of argument. Sure enough i was right, solid face one was handed to me. So sometimes they just tend to try and bump off any old shite by the looks of things.

Most motorfactors parts people aren't to bad for some reason I've found Peugeot parts people to be the worst. They have no customer focus and a really shit attitude.

Saying that the ones at the ECP's near me is getting pretty bad now but I suppose that's Luton in general.
Thanks given by:
(07-09-2016, 11:33 AM)Toms306 Wrote:
(07-09-2016, 11:09 AM)DeeTurbo Wrote:

Ah yeah that's fair enough, though a custom builder should be able to make it quiet on the motorway but louder under load if that's what you wanted.  The ST with a Miltek de-res (no centre box) revving at 4k on the motorway is much quieter than the '6 with a Magnex lol!!  It's not even loud enough to notice while cruising tbh, but barks and rasps with throttle, not sure how they manage it but however they do it works well.  Doesn't give me headaches like the '6s did!

It's probably down to the quality and design of the silencers in the system, and abit to do with the material used to make the exhaust.
Thanks given by:
Tip for future: don't waste your time with the service desk, they're just more salesmen, just go straight to the parts desk. That said, i'd also echo what others say about not going to dealers for a part like that as quality from decent suppliers will easily match up, but then i suppose the flip side is you now have a shiny peugeot invoice to go in the service history.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
If I can get away with out going to the dealers then I will, I think its all Peugeot dealers by the looks of it, the citroen dealer is really bad! they sold a mates mum a car for 9k and I tell you what, the car needed a hell of a lot of work doing to it, and a massive tidy up in side, the interior was a mess. But that's another story.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are classic car dealers on crack? THE_Liam 40 10,818 11-02-2012, 07:57 PM
Last Post: hbomb1905