Oil Catch Tank?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oil Catch Tank?
Hi guys,

Anyone ever fitted an oil catch tank to a HDI? The pipe fittings are a little large at 25mm but I'm sure I could make one work. Mostly just to stop sludge build up in the intake and also reduce how much oil vaporur gets burnt tbf. I was considering just getting a long peice of 25mm rubber hose and just cable tying it along the bottom of the car to the rear haha.

What do you think?

Thanks Smile
Thanks given by:
What about going from the catch tank to the inlet?

Which tank did you go for?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
Tbf I don't think they do much haha. Probably still quite a lot of oil vapor in it. I haven't bought a tank yet was considering one but can't find a 25mm one.
Thanks given by:
We've been testing a custom one on my estate and its collected a lot more oil than i expected it to. Drop us a message if you're interested in one.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Messaged you Smile
Thanks given by:

...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
I'd definitely be interested in one of these. I've wanted a catch can for my hdi but couldn't find a fit. I can't pm not enough posts but what's your email
Thanks given by:
My email is alex_chester@hotmail.co.uk
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
ive bought two and ive found both of them to be too large. I reckon a good fitting compact 306 one would do well
Thanks given by:
Well this one looks a good fitting kit. I have ordered one and will be fitting it as soon as it arives
Thanks given by:
(11-10-2016, 12:21 PM)JTaylor2005 Wrote: Well this one looks a good fitting kit. I have ordered one and will be fitting it as soon as it arives

From poodle? nice Tongue
Thanks given by:
Yeah. Thought I'd give one a go. See what they are like.
Thanks given by:
There simply isn't anywhere easy to put them in the engine bay and it's hard to find them with 25mm ports, so we figured we would design our own. We can make them for other models too if there is demand, but our products will be focusing primarily on the hdi for now.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Following from Alex's post, here is a picture of the finished item installed!

Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
Fitted my catch tank the other night. Fit well. Took a bit of fiddling to get the tank in (Needed to remove maf and top of air filter box) 
Also my extra power cables really got in the way and I didn't know how I was fitting the pipes unfortunately. All sorted now though Big Grin

[Image: xcm848.jpg]

[Image: 1zgaubs.jpg]

Sorry for sideways photos :S they show as normal on my laptop but then uploading them made them go sideways :S
Thanks given by:
Looks good! Where does the pipes from the oil catch tank attach to on a standard HDI 90?
Noticed any difference or good results so far Jack?
Thanks given by:
So far nothing hugely different. Although it does sound a little less sorta diesel clunky on start up and idling but I dunno if that's placebo. Might take a while for the oil built up in the intake to clear through.

The pipes attach from the top of the cam cover where the big 1" outlet id on the right side. And then to the tank then back to the intake pipe behind the air flow sensor where the origional pipe went.
Thanks given by:
how is the tank made up is there any baffles in it?
or is it just a tin with some outlets welded to it

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
GTI6 Info

Don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Thanks given by:
No idea. Poodle made it. Hopefully has baffles although I haven't seen inside it haha
Thanks given by:
Oi! I made it haha!

There is a baffle in the tank and we were going to put some packing in too, but the prototype had absolutely no oil in the outlet pipe after a long test period so we decided to leave it with just the baffle in.
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
Woops my bad haha. Where it is located at the front of the car it hardly even warms up. It would probably condense any of the oil vapors anyway.
Thanks given by:
The company made it. Tongue

That's exactly the reasoning we came to when trying to understand why it didn't appear to need any more media inside, ie it was cool enough to condense the oil vapours. I don't mind admitting we were surprised by how clean the outlet pipe was after 10 weeks or more on my knackered, old, heavily-breathing, ragged-to-fook hdi.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Oil catch tank? JTaylor2005 4 1,423 18-09-2015, 07:37 PM
Last Post: bashbarnard
  Oil catch can? MIKE-FORD 10 2,895 13-04-2014, 10:08 PM
Last Post: dr_jekyll