Neutral downhill using less fuel a myth

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Neutral downhill using less fuel a myth
So ive been using neutral going downhill as the speed stays the same or climbs more compared to always decreasing in gear downhill in the 306, what is the science behind it? Most people say it doesn't use any less fuel. Does it use more, less or the same fuel? I know engine braking uses less fuel than using the brakes.
Thanks given by:
Closed throttle, in gear, uses almost no fuel. Idling in neutral uses fuel
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
depends upon the way the car is fuelled. take for example the xud vs the dw10. the dw10 will see when youre rolling with the throttle on slightly and inject less. the xud cant tell the difference and will inject said amount wherever your throttle is sitting. so dw10 no, xud, yes.

thats my 2p on this. you have to remeber that every car is diffrent
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
Modern engines supply zero fuel after a certain rpm with zero throttle. Remember reading 205 GTI's was around 2000rpm (not modern I know)

But yes, rolling With no gear selected uses more than rolling in gear.
Thanks given by:
Dude, go to the pub.

Stop thinking about MPG. it's pointless,.
                                             [Image: 2ljm03k.jpg]

I Don't Have A 306.
Thanks given by:
Depending on the car and how new it is this may well be the case.

However, neutral, downhill , means no engine breaking and limited transmission losses, depending on the terrain you are travelling over you may well be able to use the inertia of the vehicle to overcome some gradients that would be totally impossible with the engine at closed throttle in gear. Therefore it is possible to save fuel by coasting.

The grey area of legalities on doing it however are another matter....
Thanks given by:
(04-11-2016, 09:03 PM)Paul Baldwin Wrote: Depending on the car and how new it is this may well be the case.

However, neutral, downhill , means no engine breaking and limited transmission losses, depending on the terrain you are travelling over you may well be able to use the inertia of the vehicle to overcome some gradients that would be totally impossible with the engine at closed throttle in gear. Therefore it is possible to save fuel by coasting.

Yeah this...

XUDs and anything rotary pumped do have fuel cut off (pretty much - the IQ goes down to a small fraction of that on idle, literally barely measurable) too... HDis too and pretty much any fuel injected car in the last 30 years.

The pumping losses sometimes cannot overcome the minute quantity of fuel being injected... However lightly placing your foot on the throttle to maintain speed is likely to be just as efficient as the engine running at idle anyway...

Basically yeah, stop worrying about it.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
In ye olden days when everyone's cars had carburettors' it was probably true but not these days.
Thanks given by:
(06-11-2016, 10:35 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: In ye olden days when everyone's cars had carburettors' it was probably true but not these days.

Next time you're in a newish car traveling down an incline at a steady rate with your foot on the throttle to maintain momentum dip your foot on the clutch and tell see how many rpm you are doing above idle :-)
Thanks given by: