Do i need a new caliper?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do i need a new caliper?
Pulled handbrake on hard and a cable snapped/Easy I thought just replace it.  So went and got another cable.  Its the left rear one.  While about it I felt it would be a good idea to replace the  discs and pads  both sides So did that . I fitted the new cable but trouble is the  yoke  plate isn't now at 90 degrees to handbrake as I know it should be .  I tried tightening it up  and pulling  hardish to see if the  wheel is now locked.  It was tight but i could still rotate the wheel by hand /  Looking underneath I can see that  I have tightened the cable to its limit and now the  caliper hb lever is hard up to where the outer cable fits into the caliiper.  That's never right so feel I broke something and its  an old caliper of course.  Is replacing caliper the answer or  is there another reason ? 

If I do change it I need to clamp the  flexi cable to retain  fluid so where is it as I can't see it unless I look in the wrong place.  The chap with the car repair shop up the road should crack the fixing bolts for me.  I just dont have the right tool for that do do so easily.  I normaly use a T bar and a pipe for tough ones  but dont think I have the room to do it.  Ill get the  car up fully at the back on a Ramp on the right and jack the left side and use axle stands. I hate doing it and it will take hours.
Thanks given by:
Need to wind those calipers back again. Wind also the internal adjuster all way back...

Then stamp on brake pedal a.number of times till the pads are seated and hold rear wheels with gentle push of footbrake.

Then take slack out of cables with the internal adjuster ThumbsUp
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Sure you got the right cable? Different lengths between the sides. You shouldn't be able to fully tighten it inside the car with a new cable. Or am I misunderstanding, and that the caliper lever is tightened to max? Tongue
Thanks given by:
How do I rewind  the caliper.  I did turn the piston back in and there was plenty of room for the new pads.  The slider is   stiff though while the one on the other side is  fairly free meaning I can slide it with hands and yes the lever went all way to max. I am sure the cable is correct  There's is only a choice of two one for   drum/ with Abs  and other  for discs.  I did the usual brake stamping  and they seem to be working .  Can I get lube on the slider somehow? Without doing anything hard.  I like easy stuff.   Not that I am inexperienced  fixing cars  as far as nuts and bolts  fitting goes.
Thanks given by:
I  getting a caliper anyway .  I am a pensioner and they wanted £30  for the sliderkit to  bolt it back on . ALL I NEED IS TWO FRIGGIN BOLTS. If I knew the specs I could  go to the agricultural parts supplier up the road and walk into an aisle full of nuts and bolts  and spend 50p.  Am I allowed to start a rant ?
!"£$%^&*()_!"£$%^&*()_!"£$%^&*()_+!!!!!!!!!
I feel a bit old to be taking cars to bits  but with no dosh got no choice and my local workshop don't do charity jobs even if I smile with no teeth.  Has anyone the specs so when I fit it all I might not see the wheel and sundry bit going past the  window in a bad moment?  I am not  test pilot  or a  space shuttle astronaut. " Did you know I have just seen a section of heat shield  fly past the  starbord vision port".  Not much difference between my pug and a tractor anyway
Thanks given by:
oap, me too!! do you know of BIG RED, they do the small gaiters and the o rings, they may do the bolts also. why you need new bolts??
Thanks given by:
(28-07-2016, 06:13 PM)pug306driver Wrote: oap, me too!!  do you know of BIG RED, they do the small gaiters and the o rings, they may do the bolts also. why you need new bolts??

It's Bigg Red and like me it's in Worcester- I didnt know that . I thought it better change the bolts.Cheers for the info
Thanks given by:
The bolts will be fine. After winding the piston back the pedal has to be thoroughly pumped out before you reconnect the handbrake cable, otherwise the self-adjuster won't operate and the handbrake mechnism will have little effect when worked.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(28-07-2016, 09:59 PM)Poodle Wrote: The bolts will be fine. After winding the piston back the pedal has to be thoroughly pumped out before you reconnect the handbrake cable, otherwise the self-adjuster won't operate and the handbrake mechnism will have little effect when worked.

Thanks for that.  I'll tackle that tomorrow and see what happens.  I  can change the caliper later  if I want if it's solved the immediate problem for now and it gets the pressure off me a few weeks.  The brakes are feeling good anyway and the front pads have 12 nonths of light use.. I dont do huge miles as I am away half the year.
Thanks given by:
See this a lot tbf, i'm sure it's why the 306 has a rep among enthusiasts for having a crap handbrake. If that doesn't solve it immediately try disconnecting the cable again, make sure the handbrake lever on the caliper is fully released (as far as it will turn towards the back of the car) and go for a drive, just don't forget you've got no handbrake when stopping at junctions!

I thought i might need a new caliper on one of my workhorses as the caliper was partially stuck on and the handbrake didn't work on that side at all (used to be owned by a chap who maintained it himself and who had recently changed the rear pads, funnily enough Wink ), but driving it around for a few days without the cable connected seems to have allowed the self-adjuster mechanism to reset itself. I reconnected the cable recently and she's as good as gold.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Excellent advice   so thanks.  I'll play it by how it goes now.
Thanks given by:
The problem is both hand brake cables are individual.
So with the use they get old and they start to elongate; if you have luck both elongate at the same rate and mantain even.
But sooner or later you get one cable longer than the other and there is no way to compensate or adjust that.
More if you fit a new cable; that one will no match with the old "elongated" cable of the other side. If you change one cable, then you have to change both.

(I think peugeot fit two wires for not loosing the hand brake in case of a cable break; you will always have hand brake operative at least in one tire with the downside that you cannot compensate when they get dispair)
Thanks given by:
I did accept the difference and adjusted accordingly.  Seems to be Ok as it passed its MOT.  Probably then in reason thats allowable .
Thanks given by: