So who is a mechanic

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So who is a mechanic
(20-07-2016, 03:19 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: I learned f*ck all in college as I only did the lectures between 0900 - 1100 cos the pub opened at 1100 and my mate was knobbing the barmaid so me and another mate got left looking after the bar Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin 
i just have this image of your mate going to the pub and nipping upstairs while youre left with the taps unattended

(20-07-2016, 03:19 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: I learned f*ck all in college as I only did the lectures between 0900 - 1100 cos the pub opened at 1100 and my mate was knobbing the barmaid so me and another mate got left looking after the bar Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin 
i just have this image of your mate going to the pub and nipping upstairs while youre left with the taps unattended
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
I am, NVQ level 4 qualified, Spent all my life in a garage and around cars.
90' 205 gti6 supercharged
05' Evo 9 IX GT

Team eaton.

Axle rebuilds please contact me for your needs.

https://www.facebook.com/axlesbystef/
Thanks given by:
ok I am on holiday today and its too hot to go outside so here we go !!!!

college is there to provide a broad, widespread awareness & knowledge to receptive students.

qualifications can be seen as;

a hurdle to prevent people who are not interested or capable of doing the job---they cant be "taught" as they do not want to be, they will apportion blame on everybody in the universe except themselves......its later on when they realise it was their own fault when they see the rest of the class have completed a qualification.
or as a stepping-stone that can be seen as a badge of honour that shows that an individual student can "be taught" and pass exams, that they can get their heads down and listen/question & discuss what is going on in a college lesson-----------these people want the pieces of paper that show they have levels 1,2 and 3.

most learning will be done in the workplace, we learn by doing the job and by having somebody else explain how or why they are doing the job. very few people learn by reading about a subject, its easier to see/feel components that then back up what they have learnt in college & vice versa.

college qualifications are there so that we can plan a progressive route, added to being in a workshop also being taught--so that people can go as far as level 3 to use at an interview stage, getting into a garage or main dealer that will continue to evaluate/train to give us marque master techs.

the u.k is slowly introducing the prickly subject of technician licensing, already there are previously non-qualified techs attending a 2 day practical assessment course to gain a nationally/internationally recognised qualification.

the plan is for all uk techs to be licensed so that the industry can be regulated so standards are raised.
Thanks given by:
(20-07-2016, 05:04 PM)bashbarnard Wrote:

You wouldn't believe it but that is exactly what happened!
It was incredible at the age of 16 just being in a nearly deserted pub playing pool, smoking and drinking beer all day.
Thanks given by:
Big hand mo's?
                                             [Image: 2ljm03k.jpg]

I Don't Have A 306.
Thanks given by:
By no means a mechanic, just learnt as I went along.

My training was f*cking stuff up for myself and a good dose of common sense. I'm fairly mechanically minded anyway which helps.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Not a mechanic, but I am a mechanical engineer. Mechanically minded and play with big steam turbines as a daily.

My dad started me off on car maintenance with my first motor then it just snowballed from there really. Spend far too much time fannying around with them!
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
its seriously impressive the amount of skill floating around on this forum to be honest. which is why i was intrigued abut how many people are actually techs. a lot of stuff i do to my stuff i would never get to do at work either so i learnt a lot on the side.
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks given by:
Self taught. Pick up some spanners and get twirling.
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
As above ^^^

Also got my own little lockup now where i advertise for work on weekends and after work for a bit of extra cash

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk
Vehicle repair and servicing in the midlands pm for details 

Current cars
Subaru Impreza 2.0d - Daily
306 1.8 - track whore soon to be GTI6
Thanks given by:
Self taught, farmer, so jack of all trades so they say!
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
(21-07-2016, 06:31 PM)C2K Wrote: Not a mechanic, but I am a mechanical engineer.

Same, but I am an automotive engineer.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
Originally a plant mechanic now in ag
Thanks given by:
Im a car mechanic, have been ever since i left school. Been at the same garage for 8 years now. Been mot testing for about 3 years now as well i think.

Have to agree what some others have said, college was pretty much a complete waste of time, meets so good friends there though and got the certificates i needed so not all bad i guess.
Thanks given by:
Ive been a tester for 7 years and in the trade for 10 now. Dont really like moting but it makes you more employable round my way.
Thanks given by:
(21-07-2016, 07:31 PM)Rippthrough Wrote: Self taught. Pick up some spanners and get twirling.

lol at twirling
Thanks given by:
(22-07-2016, 11:05 AM)zx_volcane Wrote:
(21-07-2016, 07:31 PM)Rippthrough Wrote: Self taught. Pick up some spanners and get twirling.

lol at twirling

Now you've made a point of that I have an image of him in a tutu pirouetting like a ballerina with an adjustable spanner in each hand.
Thanks given by:
Only on Saturdays.
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
As Frosty posted - at least doing formal training gives you 'qualifications' which can be helpful LOL
I was an Aircraft Tech for 40+ years but always messed around with cars (1971 - present)  and motorbikes (72 - 83) so lots of mechanical experience but I would never classify myself as a 'proper' car mechanic and I am always extremely  grateful for the knowledge and experience which is available on various car forums Smile

My last 15 years at work I was involved heavily with on the job training for our apprentices,it was usually a big pleasure helping the youngsters on their way to being qualified (although occasionally we had some problem lads LOL).
At work we had the whole spectrum and mix of skills - some guys were 'naturals',others good at practical work but cr@p at paperwork/documentation,some cr@p at practical work but good on documentation - there is usually a place for all as long as they are upfront about their strengths and weaknesses.

One of my C & G certs is 'Airframe Erection (ooer) and overhaul' which turned up a few months after I finished my RAF Apprenticeship.

Edit to say - if you google 'Maxaret' it is a very early mechanical anti skid system used on Aircraft in the 50's/60's
Thanks given by:
(20-07-2016, 05:29 PM)daddyfixit Wrote: ok I am on holiday today and its too hot to go outside so here we go !!!!

college is there to provide a broad, widespread awareness & knowledge to receptive students.

qualifications can be seen as;

a hurdle to prevent people who are not interested or capable of doing the job---they cant be "taught" as they do not want to be, they will apportion blame on everybody in the universe except themselves......its later on when they realise it was their own fault when they see the rest of the class have completed a qualification.
     or as a stepping-stone that can be seen as a badge of honour that shows that an individual student can "be taught" and pass exams, that they can get their heads down and listen/question & discuss what is going on in a college lesson-----------these people want the pieces of paper that show they have levels 1,2 and 3.  

most learning will be done in the workplace, we learn by doing the job and by having somebody else explain how or why they are doing the job. very few people learn by reading about a subject, its easier to see/feel components that then back up what they have learnt in college & vice versa.

college qualifications are there so that we can plan a progressive route, added to being in a workshop also being taught--so that people can go as far as level 3 to use at an interview stage, getting into a garage or main dealer that will continue to evaluate/train to give us marque master techs.

the u.k is slowly introducing the prickly subject of technician licensing,  already there are previously non-qualified techs attending a 2 day practical assessment course to gain a nationally/internationally recognised qualification.

the plan is for all uk techs to be licensed so that the industry can be regulated so standards are raised.

I understand and appreciate the theory behind college courses, the issue typically stems from the execution being a load of shit. Naturally this opinion is only born of my own experience (3 colleges and 6 tutors, out of which only one of the tutors was any good and all the colleges administrators were a joke), but then how else are we supposed to assess these things. My personal opinion is that the mistake is to base a practial qualification on an academic process and an obsession with quantifiable grading, but that's a whole other argument.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
College/Uni are only there to teach you how to learn, research and apply knowledge correctly. They give you very little that's actually practically transferable.

I know a lot of welders with certificates coming out of their earholes that make a weld that looks like my dog did it and understand nothing of what they're actually doing to the material under their torch - so they will only weld what they've been spoon fed on the courses to do because they're not interested in the theory.
And I know a lot of 'master tech' marque mechanics that are out of their depth on anything other than a simple swap of parts or tyres - and even then you'd want to check the bolts after...
Thanks given by:
(22-07-2016, 02:37 PM)Rippthrough Wrote: College/Uni are only there to teach you how to learn, research and apply knowledge correctly. They give you very little that's actually practically transferable.

Definitely - I worked for British Wasteospace at Dunsfold,Surrey for 16 years and the guys who became the best Fitters/Technicians were generally the youngsters who had been classified as 'Shop Boys' who did some formal academic work but the majority of their 'time' was spent with the Fitters on the 'Shop Floor'.
Thanks given by:
None of you are mechanics you're all glorified fitters

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
3 x Peugeot owner.

1996 106.
1996 306 D Turbo S.
1994 Mercedes Benz 320E.
1997 306 GLX.

Subscribe! - https://www.youtube.com/user/TheADKJD/videos
Thanks given by:
Woohoo, I'm glorified, that's a promotion!
Thanks given by:
Le chiffre

3 x Peugeot owner.

1996 106.
1996 306 D Turbo S.
1994 Mercedes Benz 320E.
1997 306 GLX.

Subscribe! - https://www.youtube.com/user/TheADKJD/videos
Thanks given by:
Do I get a pay rise?
Thanks given by:
(22-07-2016, 11:01 AM)bashbarnard Wrote: Ive been a tester for 7 years and in the trade for 10 now. Dont really like moting but it makes you more employable round my way.

Yeah defo, when i first started doing mots i was a bit worried but soon get into the swing of it.
Thanks given by:
(22-07-2016, 06:27 AM)Frosty Wrote: Im a car mechanic, have been ever since i left school. Been at the same garage for 8 years now. Been mot testing for about 3 years now as well i think.

Have to agree what some others have said, college was pretty much a complete waste of time, meets so good friends there though and got the certificates i needed so not all bad i guess.

my college was brilliant we learnt how to install nitrous and how much a honda b series engine can take lol FYI 150 shot before the rod poked its nose haha.
90' 205 gti6 supercharged
05' Evo 9 IX GT

Team eaton.

Axle rebuilds please contact me for your needs.

https://www.facebook.com/axlesbystef/
Thanks given by:
(22-07-2016, 05:35 PM)ADV_93 Wrote: None of you are mechanics you're all glorified fitters

what..........
Thanks given by:
(22-07-2016, 08:48 PM)bashbarnard Wrote:
(22-07-2016, 05:35 PM)ADV_93 Wrote: None of you are mechanics you're all glorified fitters

what..........

Ignore him, he's just some tool that likes to stir and thinks he's the shit.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Car Mechanic Simulator lolsteve 19 4,410 08-02-2014, 03:00 PM
Last Post: dwanepipe
  Thinking of starting a mobile mechanic business strictly_perv 10 6,027 21-08-2012, 09:29 AM
Last Post: dturbopeck