Air Filter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Air Filter
Hello to all. I have to replace the air filter and install a sports filter. I have to remove the filter holder. I do something else?
Thanks given by:
Hi, firstly just to say - in your profile picture, you are driving through a large puddle. The standard air filter location is very low on the side which is in the water in the picture. I would advise that you don't do that until you have changed from the standard filter location. Plenty of 306, 405 etc have had seized engines due to water being sucked into the engine when driving through water!

To try to answer your question, it is common to just cut the intake pipe and attach a cone filter to the end. You can fit a cone filter behind the headlight unit on the right side of the engine bay (right side if you are standing in front of the car). Something like this :

[Image: S7300110-1.jpg]

To be honest, it will not get you any power increase - in fact it may reduce power as it will not have a proper cold air feed. I did this on my last XUD turbo, but just because the air filter box fell apart!  There was no real change to power (not more or less that I could detect). However there was alot more noise!
Thanks given by:
If, like above, your filter housing has fallen to bits, then putting a cone filter behind the headlight is probably the best option. As said though, you will more likely LOSE a bit of power, but it will sound more throaty.

If however, you're chasing every pony possible, or want something that keeps with the OEM look, I'd recommend going for an upgraded filter for your standard filter housing (pipercross or similar). That way you keep the OEM look of the bay, but you have increased airflow, without the heatsoak. Wink
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by: