Rear beam repair advice

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rear beam repair advice
I've recently bought a 1995 saloon and the rear beam is solid. Near on no travel in the suspension, it bangs and knocks pretty bad.

If I replace the shock absorbers and beam mounts with this improve it as a temporary solution? I'm not buying a refurbed beam for this as it is my run around and will be waiting till I get the other car back on the road for that.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
If the beam is seized, the mounts and shocks will achieve little I'm afraid - the problem will be that the arm itself is seized because the shaft it rotates on will have rusted in place thanks to water ingress and the bearings disintegrating. If it's got to that stage, your existing beam is probably beyond the point of being repaired/reconditioned as the tube will likely be dead.

It'll need a replacement beam, and given the age of them now, you'd be advised to get a recon one from someone reputable as original ones are often dead or dying now. Stiff or seized on one side, excessive camber or knocking/play are sure signs that it's goosed.... but don't take the lack of those symptoms that it's good.
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
Ok thanks fella. Yeah it seems the whole thing is seized solid. Symptoms are pointing to it being in a pretty bad way. Considering I eventually need a refurbed be for the other car I might have to just get one sorted now for the sedan.
Cue someone offering me replacement beams... I know there are a few available right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rear beam ...the good and the bad Mighty306 35 15,236 23-07-2020, 10:13 PM
Last Post: Mighty306
  Rear Beam Pgtips 1 1,375 26-06-2020, 07:19 AM
Last Post: Mighty306
  Rear beam rebuild MOK 21 6,450 18-03-2019, 03:40 PM
Last Post: MOK