Applying tyre dressing??

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Applying tyre dressing??
Don't think we have a detailing forum?

Anyway, I really like Megs Ultimate Tyre stuff, but applying it is always hassle!

Microfibre - Accurate application - messy fingers, doesn't wash out of the cloth, makes all other cloths sticky/smelly in the wash

Foam pad - Washes more easily - less accurate application, still get sticky fingers, ruins the pad quickly

Megs own applicator - No messy fingers - really inaccurate, can't be cleaned so gets dirty tyre black round the rim, too soft, generally shit considering the price

Paintbrush - No sticky fingers - slightly in accurate 'pinstripes' of tyre black on the rim, not stiff enough to get gaps around sidewall writing, difficult to clean therefore difficult to store

So is there actually a decent way to apply this? Accurately (none on the rim), no messy fingers, easy to clean, stiff enough for full coverage.
Thanks given by:
I use a circular applicator and a glove.. Followed by a wipe of the edge of the rim with a MF to wipe off any that has worked its way onto the alloy.

There's no easy way with Megs but I also love it. AG Highstlye is a close contender but nowhere near as long lasting
Thanks given by:
I use a stiff circular brush. Don't have any issues with striping, only it can be tricky to get it neatly under the rim protector edge on the tyre.
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
moved from couch Wink

too...
Interior, Exterior, ICE
Detailing and cleaning, exterior styling, interior modifications and in-car entertainment

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
GTI6 Info

Don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Thanks given by:
Paintbrush chopped half off, makes it much stiffer.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
(19-06-2016, 09:54 PM)cully Wrote: moved from couch Wink

too...
Interior, Exterior, ICE
Detailing and cleaning, exterior styling, interior modifications and in-car entertainment

Oops, could've made it more obvious. Wink

(20-06-2016, 11:06 AM)Ruan Wrote: Paintbrush chopped half off, makes it much stiffer.

Ah I didn't think of that! Will give it a go next time. Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Yep, always use the Megs tyre dressing which usually lasts a couple of weeks at a time. Smells good too! I tend to quite simply use the soft side of a kitchen sponge/scourer, cheap to buy and disposable. I also wear rubber gloves for all my detailing/mechanical work. I don't think there is any kind of miracle cure as its going to get messy whichever way you do it.

Thanks given by:
I've got one of these...

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/wheels-and...d_340.html

Looks the same as the Meg's one but I've never had any issues with this
Cherry Red Rallye - Full on OEM resto.....
Thanks given by:
I cleaned my Megs one by sitting it on kitchen roll for a week then carried on using it, but it only lasted 2 cars and now it's disgusting again, how do you keep them clean?
Thanks given by:
I don't bother. I'm only ever using it to apply tyre gel. Tyres are clean before I apply it.
Cherry Red Rallye - Full on OEM resto.....
Thanks given by:
Tyres are on the floor though, so I can only assume it's picking up dirt from the floor or maybe I can't clean the tyres well enough between jetwashes. Confused Either way it's black again already. Sad
Thanks given by: