Refurbing wheels.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Refurbing wheels.
£Land do primer? I've only ever found black, white, grey, red, green, pink and yellow paint but no lacquer or primer. :/
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
I get filler primer, primer, lacquer and basic paints from place near me £2 for 500ml can. And it's never let me
Down Smile.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Nice work with the black wheels there and only really skimmed through so appologise if this has already been mentioned. Not criticising as they look very good but just thought I'd mention a few things as I have done quite a few sets before!

Paint wise, 1-2 cans of high build primer is always enough for me, like wise colour coat and then one big can from halfords is enough for lacquer and I've had very good results using that. Etch primer lasts ages too. Sugarsoap wipes and an Oakey Sanding Dust Cloth really help too for preping.

The key I found is rubbing down with as fine as possible each coat, for the final primer I always liked to use 1200 and then 2000 on the colour coat on each coat. Also rubbing down afterwards yeilds amazing results if you can be bothered as wheels aren't the easiest for a machine polisher but Cyclones should be OK.

Etch primer is also essential if taking back to bare metal though you can get away rubbing down to the original primer if no filling is required and go from there.

Hope this helps anyone as just speaking from trial and experience over the years and also a few handy guides on various forums.
Thanks given by:
Thanks for the advice. Gareth is a brilliant sprayer with rattle cans selling badges and mirrors to people across the forums. I'm very noobish when it comes to it as I've only just started spraying but I'm ok. I think mine would turn out much better if I took them down to the garage instead of outside. Smile

I think next year though they're being powder coated as I really cba haha. Smile.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
Thanks given by:
kentiiboii Wrote:Thanks for the advice. Gareth is a brilliant sprayer with rattle cans selling badges and mirrors to people across the forums. I'm very noobish when it comes to it as I've only just started spraying but I'm ok. I think mine would turn out much better if I took them down to the garage instead of outside. Smile

I think next year though they're being powder coated as I really cba haha. Smile.

To be fair can't beat a sunny, low wind day for a bit of out door spraying, not that we've had any of that recently lol! lol
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
kentiiboii Wrote:Thanks for the advice. Gareth is a brilliant sprayer with rattle cans selling badges and mirrors to people across the forums. I'm very noobish when it comes to it as I've only just started spraying but I'm ok. I think mine would turn out much better if I took them down to the garage instead of outside. Smile

Ahhh that's the fella, must admit I have seen them and they do look good and very intrigued as to how to dismantle them!!

Really is a case of practice makes, well not perfect as I'm never 100% happy, but you certainly get better as I was pretty awful to begin with.

Still air does help massively but if you're inside just make sure you have a decent mask and those dust cloth things I mentioned are well worth the couple of quid imo :thumbup:
Thanks given by:
Yeah I notice with my first one that the day cloths worked great after a good sand. On Wednesday when I have day off i got to flat mine back and a polish Smile then fit by weekend.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
Thanks given by:
Thanks for the compliments guys......but I'm not revealing how I dismantle the badges ninja lol
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Refurbing Alloys LewisG 1 968 07-04-2014, 08:33 PM
Last Post: Curt
  Wheel refurbing, again declantg 14 3,138 25-04-2013, 11:27 AM
Last Post: Slam Wagon