Crank Pulleys

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crank Pulleys
Having had a look at my crank pulley it is well and truly on its way out :/ 

Now I have 2 options really. Get it done ASAP using whatever part I can get from eurocarparts tomorrow (Like this one.)
Or wait and get a solid one and have that fitted as and when I can get one. 

I am swinging towards getting the regular one and just keeping an eye on it as I want it done quick. People always go on about how bad these pulleys are so I want to get it done quick really.

What do you guys reckon? 

Thanks Big Grin
Thanks given by:
they dont go that often mate.. itll come with some sort of guarantee so you will have at least a year's worth of use out of it,.
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
They do go pretty often... It was a cheap one collapsing that killed the original engine in your HDi lol. Wasn't even a year old!
Thanks given by:
(06-06-2016, 06:38 PM)JTaylor2005 Wrote: Having had a look at my crank pulley it is well and truly on its way out :/ 

Now I have 2 options really. Get it done ASAP using whatever part I can get from eurocarparts tomorrow (Like this one.)
Or wait and get a solid one and have that fitted as and when I can get one. 

I am swinging towards getting the regular one and just keeping an eye on it as I want it done quick. People always go on about how bad these pulleys are so I want to get it done quick really.

What do you guys reckon? 

Thanks Big Grin

Got this one fitted to mine (which are suposed to be O.E.M) & even comes with a new pulley bolt & washer.

http://www.eurocarparts.com/search/347545275
Thanks given by:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301747656944?_...EBIDX%3AIT

These last fine for the price. The solid metal pulleys seem to have issues with shredding belts.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Whenver we get one in at work or i get one in privatly i always buy a 307 solid pully. The later ones from their 2.0lt hdi is identical to ours but solid. We then never get the issue again
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
That's the type i've linked above. Smile
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(07-06-2016, 12:30 PM)Poodle Wrote: That's the type i've linked above. Smile

Epic skim read fail
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks given by:
Remember, they're not identical in terms of setup.

Reason the 307 has a solid pulley is because the alternator is clutched and has no PAS pump, the 306 doesn't have a clutched one way alternator, and it does have PAS therefore has a rubber pulley.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
(07-06-2016, 01:35 PM)Ruan Wrote: Remember, they're not identical in terms of setup.

Reason the 307 has a solid pulley is because the alternator is clutched and has no PAS pump, the 306 doesn't have a clutched one way alternator, and it does have PAS therefore has a rubber pulley.

I always thought about this but ive fitted a load without an issue so far. I say a load about 4 i think. Maybe its best to do a 307 alternator at same time sho knows
Thanks given by:
Honestly I went out and just bought a rubber one. If it goes in a year it goes in a year but it means I can get it fitted today and not risk my terrible one now ripping through my timing belt haha.

As for the solid ones I'm hesitant to get one atm with it being a different design. Will see how long this rubber one lasts and just keep an eye on it and if it goes then that one above on eBay will be bought Smile

Cheers everyone Smile
Thanks given by:
It'll just damage the belt and auto tensioners due to the fluctuating torque, that's all.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
The Lynx alloy pulley's work fine but they're more expensive.
Thanks given by:
(07-06-2016, 07:19 PM)luke306rallye Wrote: The Lynx alloy pulley's work fine but they're more expensive.

Those are the ones that shred aux belts for fun, sorry should have specified alloy instead of metal in the last post. I assume it's where the HDi engines produce more torque at a less even output from engines like the GTi6 where they are popular.

The 307 pulleys do have a rubber section, it's just not as well damped as the 306 version. Would be nice to compare them side by side on an identical setup over a few thousand miles, but i'll never have time enough to do that. lol  The tensioners are more expensive and more of a pita to fit than the pulley; in theory you're better off fitting a standard item of reasonable quality, but if you must buy silly cheap then a 307 one will do the job for much longer than the alternative, simply because there's less low-quality rubber to fall apart.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(07-06-2016, 01:54 PM)bashbarnard Wrote:
(07-06-2016, 01:35 PM)Ruan Wrote: Remember, they're not identical in terms of setup.

I always thought about this but ive fitted a load without an issue so far. I say a load about 4 i think. Maybe its best to do a 307 alternator at same time sho knows

This is part of the reason i fitted the 307 alternator to mine now.
Thanks given by:
only just seen this but don't forget if your inner cheapskate won't part with money for a new solid pulley, you can always make sure it's balanced and weld it up yourself. that's how mine is and has been for about 2 years now
306 hdi 3dr moonstone
205 gti6 bare shell rebuild
m3 evolution coupe weekend hero
bmw x3 xdrive35d f25 313bhp nutter
Thanks given by:
(28-06-2016, 08:27 PM)rikky Wrote: only just seen this but don't forget if your inner cheapskate won't part with money for a new solid pulley, you can always make sure it's balanced and weld it up yourself. that's how mine is and has been for about 2 years now

inspired
Thanks given by:
Photo 
Best solution: Custom made pulley

[Image: 2015_02_17_12_24_56.jpg]

[Image: 2015_02_17_12_25_15.jpg]
Thanks given by:
That's pretty damn shiny!
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post