Rust/bare metal treatment...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rust/bare metal treatment...
So...

Now own a mini. Well owned for 6mths...but by the by...

I hear about weld primer...ie primer that you can weld near n it wont burst into flames...

Also the red paint...

Basically...what do I do when I rub back to bare metal...and if its a bit crusty but underneath/boot floor but not need cutting out... What treatment??

Obviously not a slap something on and move on job.

And for underneath...once treated...
Is it underseal then stonechip?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Dont by cheap weld primer buy something decent, also get on the mini forum theres plenty of restorations with thousands of pages of info Smile

These love the vtec engines Wink although i did see one at a mini show with the 1.5 nad in never seen another

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk
Vehicle repair and servicing in the midlands pm for details 

Current cars
Subaru Impreza 2.0d - Daily
306 1.8 - track whore soon to be GTI6
Thanks given by:
Something decent...I wouldnt know...so what you suggest?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Sorry i should have elaborated, bilt hammer or 3m are decent, halfords is a crock and not worth wasting your time.

What panels do you need?

Current cars
Thanks given by:
Nothing as yet...
Maybe the A panels.
Maybe a bit for the left boot floor.
Other than that its just tidying and maybe a plate or two
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Sounds like a great base

Current cars
Thanks given by:
(30-05-2016, 06:52 PM)Piggy Wrote: So...

I hear about weld primer...ie primer that you can weld near n it wont burst into flames...

Also the red paint...

Basically...what do I do when I rub back to bare metal...and if its a bit crusty but underneath/boot floor but not need cutting out... What treatment??

Obviously not a slap something on and move on job.

And for underneath...once treated...
Is it underseal then stonechip?
Hi there,

Good for you on getting a mini. I'm a big mini nut, got a nice jap re-import 92 cooper, and in a big club up here doing runs etc. Great laugh minis.

One word - Bilthamber. Their products are superb. For protecting metal, their Electrox Zinc paint is top notch. Sacrificial protection, waterproof, overpaintable. It can in theory be left as a final coat, though you probably wouldn't do that. Oh - also if you wire wheel rust back and think the panel is still sound but is pitted etc, they do Deox Gel rust converter, gets good results in tests.

After Electrox, you can if you like use their epoxy mastic prior to painting, for extra long life protection. Their waxes are superb. Miles ahead of Waxoyl and the like. For cavities, use Dynax S50. It comes in big cans with a flexible 360 Degree injection lance. For visible areas on the underside, they do a great clear wax - Dynax UC. Goes on easy, dries clear so you can still see through it (handy for keeping an eye on what is happening underneath). There is also a black version of this wax - Dynax UB. I have S50 in all the box sections and cavities (sills, rear valance closers, scuttle closers etc) and UC all over the underside of the floor, under the boot floor, inside the boot, under the wheel arches - really important to protect up under the wings and around the front panel where the seams to the wings are etc.

The UC dries to a nice finish. Slightly tacky for a while, but ultimately it is a dry film finish. Sticks to the panels really well. You can wash dirt off it with a hose and a soapy cloth, and it won't come off. Good mechanical strength. I could stick some pics up of my underside (ooer) if it is of interest.

If you join The Mini Forum, and spend £5 getting TMF+ status, then there are whole load of discounts available - think Opie oils is one (they sell bilthamber stuff) and maybe Bilthamber themselves - 7.5% discount on minispares which is nice too!

Bilthamber stuff is relatively dear - about £13-£15 a can (big 750 ml can) but it is well worth it. The way I look at it is if I spend £60 or so every year or two keeping the car well protected, then that will save me thousands in welding repairs - ask me how I know about what happens to an unprotected mini used in Scotland....

Cheers
Craig
Thanks given by:
Thank you craig!

What a big help ThumbsUp
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(02-06-2016, 10:10 AM)Piggy Wrote: Thank you craig!

What a big help ThumbsUp

No worries. Hopefully see you over on TMF sometime  - a great resource!
Thanks given by:
(02-06-2016, 07:15 AM)carlukepeugeot Wrote:
(30-05-2016, 06:52 PM)Piggy Wrote: So...

Also the red paint...

Here's a couple of pics showing areas just a day or two after I waxed them with the clear UC. This is a few coats built up :

[Image: 20141107_160654_zpsrypohypg.jpg]

[Image: 20141107_160712_zpsuwn3juhe.jpg]
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rust conversion treatments / gel Mighty306 6 3,070 31-05-2018, 01:46 PM
Last Post: pug306driver
  Rust Treatment MY95 4 1,944 25-11-2016, 08:07 PM
Last Post: pug306driver
  Roof rust DM123 11 2,151 08-05-2016, 09:14 PM
Last Post: insomaniac45