Cummins Drift Truck a la Dum-Dum

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cummins Drift Truck a la Dum-Dum
(27-10-2016, 09:01 PM)bigcheez2k3 Wrote: Holy shit, I didn't realise bottles could be bought so cheaply! Glad I know that now ninja

Glad there is some progress with this :thumbsup:
They can't usually, you just need to hunt through ebay.

(27-10-2016, 09:20 PM)Paul Baldwin Wrote: If that's a Calor bottle Dum Dum may have bought it but technically it's not actually his to do with as he pleases, it still belongs to Calor.
Bought off a color dealer so I assume they have the right to sell. No receipt and they don't have my details so it's not registered to me and I didn't sign a rental agreement or anything.
Thanks given by:
(27-10-2016, 09:20 PM)Paul Baldwin Wrote: If that's a Calor bottle Dum Dum may have bought it but technically it's not actually his to do with as he pleases, it still belongs to Calor.
Bought off a color dealer so I assume they have the right to sell. No receipt and they don't have my details so it's not registered to me and I didn't sign a rental agreement or anything.
[/quote]

Assume it's an end of life bottle and cut the bugger up and add baffles then :-) (after taking precautions obviously)
Thanks given by:
(27-10-2016, 09:43 PM)Paul Baldwin Wrote:
(27-10-2016, 09:27 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote:
(27-10-2016, 09:20 PM)Paul Baldwin Wrote: If that's a Calor bottle Dum Dum may have bought it but technically it's not actually his to do with as he pleases, it still belongs to Calor.

Assume it's an end of life bottle and cut the bugger up and add baffles then :-) (after taking precautions obviously)

That was my thinking and my plan.
Thinking back I'm pretty sure I told the bloke what my plans for it were.
Other than opening the valve for a couple of days I can't think of any other precautions to take before slicing in with a grinder.
Thanks given by:
(28-10-2016, 04:25 AM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Other than opening the valve for a couple of days I can't think of any other precautions to take before slicing in with a grinder.

remove valve and Fill it with water then cut it full of water Wink

thats how i cut my last one whistle

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
GTI6 Info

Don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Thanks given by:
empty the water out though unless you're using a petrol grinder lol
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
(28-10-2016, 05:43 AM)cully Wrote:
(28-10-2016, 04:25 AM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Other than opening the valve for a couple of days I can't think of any other precautions to take before slicing in with a grinder.

remove valve and Fill it with water then cut it full of water Wink

thats how i cut my last one whistle

That's the safest way of doing it imo, you can always empty it after the initial cuts if using an electric grinder. Some of the valves can put up a fight when trying to undo btw.
Thanks given by:
Sorry, why fill it with water?

Can't I just remove the valve, throw some pertol in there, light it and RLF.
Then cut it an hour later once I've put out the fire on my lawn and let the cylinder cool.
Thanks given by:
you wont get as far as the RLF bit before it goes BOOM.

water is to make sure there's no gas left.
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
i want the video of you lighting it i will get £250 for it Big Grin

GTI6 Info

Thanks given by:
(28-10-2016, 04:40 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Sorry, why fill it with water?

Can't I just remove the valve, throw some pertol in there, light it and RLF.
Then cut it an hour later once I've put out the fire on my lawn and let the cylinder cool.

(28-10-2016, 04:54 PM)welshpug Wrote: you wont get as far as the RLF bit before it goes BOOM.

(28-10-2016, 05:07 PM)cully Wrote: i want the video of you lighting it i will get £250 for it Big Grin

Rofl  I want to see the video too!
Thanks given by:
(28-10-2016, 04:54 PM)welshpug Wrote: you wont get as far as the RLF bit before it goes BOOM.

(28-10-2016, 05:07 PM)cully Wrote: i want the video of you lighting it i will get £250 for it Big Grin

Why does the gas not dissipate with the cylinder open like, well like a gas usually would?
Thanks given by:
same reason a petrol tank is more dangerous when empty

the fuel/vapours has more mixed oxygen so is more explosive

LPG is heavyer than air too so will pool in low lying dips/pits causing explosion risks too

GTI6 Info

Thanks given by:
Yeah seriously Chris, LPG is heavier than air so it won't come out easily unless under pressure...

I'd seriously recommend heeding the advice of others and filling it with water...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Open valve, leave upside down for a day or 2, fill with water and cut.. Thats how ive done 4 of them.

Or.. As ive seen done - fill halfway with water, keep adding some water and put a lighter above the hole lol

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
(28-10-2016, 05:21 PM)cully Wrote: same reason a petrol tank is more dangerous when empty

the fuel/vapours has more mixed oxygen so is more explosive

LPG is heavyer than air too so will pool in low lying dips/pits causing explosion risks too

So with sufficient time it would dissipate then.
Thanks given by:
why not fill it with water just to be sure?
Thanks given by:
with how much energy a gas explosion can have, its not worth the risk.
Thanks given by:
(28-10-2016, 06:18 PM)Eeyore Wrote: why not fill it with water just to be sure?

Because I have to fill it with 100l of water and then tip the thing over without it rolling away, crushing anything, denting itself as it lands or flooding my garden.
Thanks given by:
(28-10-2016, 06:29 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote:

Because I have to fill it with 100l of water and then tip the thing over without it rolling away, crushing anything, denting itself as it lands or flooding my garden.

just drill a small hole in the bottom when youre dun - slow release then
Thanks given by:
you sir are a Prize plumb!

winston wolf

GTI6 Info

Thanks given by:
I'm not cutting up the gas bottle for a while so I'll bear in mind the warnings.
Thanks given by:
100l of water vs a 42kg Calor gas bottle bomb when you start on it with a grinder...

Hmm.

If petrol didn't evaporate, you wouldn't go cutting open metal containers that were soaked in petrol unless you were 100% certain you had it all out - as you know and as others have said, it's frankly _MORE_ dangerous as it is now as there's a crapload of Oxygen in there already!!
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Its Dum Dum, he does what he wants lol
Hopefully he or someone else doesnt get injured in the process of whatever he chooses to do.
Thanks given by:
(28-10-2016, 06:29 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote:

Do it properly and purge it with Nitrogen then Tongue
Thanks given by:
For the love of god, please fill this with water.

This is standard practice when doing anything with a gas cylinder (or as paul says n² purging it). You will be suprised how much residual gas is in the bottle even with no tap on sat upside down, it can create a vacuum inside and get held up. Fill it with water after this you'll smell how much it displaces even, and be aware of the blanket of gas sat in your yard afterwards (mine set alight, experienced first hand!!)

The worst worst worst thing you can do is leave it so it is 10% empty and 90% gas, or even 2% gas. Bottle full UEL (upper explosive limit) is 10%, and bottle empty lower explosive limit for propane is 2%.

Its not you i'de be worried about though its the poor bastard who receives your 35kg rocket through their bedroom wall.

It would be pure stupidty to cut into this without properly ensuring gas is gone.
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(29-10-2016, 05:22 AM)Dave Wrote:
Its not you i'de be worried about though its the poor bastard who receives your 35kg rocket through their bedroom wall.

It would be pure stupidity to cut into this without properly ensuring gas is gone.

this!

GTI6 Info

Thanks given by:
So now that you've all finished crying how many baffles do you think I need in there?

I was thinking about possibly just 2, maybe 3 and having them to about 1/3 tank depth with the bottom 10mm cut out and just a few 20mm ish holes in them.

I was also considering having a slight sump (like 10cm square by 5cm deep) just to absolutely guarantee that when it's running low on fuel I don't end up sucking air.
Thanks given by:
Chris get back on track!! Fuel tank is the last thing you should be worried about!!!
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(30-10-2016, 03:52 AM)Dave Wrote: Chris get back on track!! Fuel tank is the last thing you should be worried about!!!

yeah, get that f*ck off engine dropped in will ya, instead fannying on with gas bottles Tongue
Thanks given by:
And now everyone has finished crying about my fuel tank time for an update.

Been taking things off the engine that I don't need/want or to lighten it to move it. Everything on it is hugely big, like bolts holding brackets are M10. Everything needs a fucktonne of plus gas and I've snapped a few M10 bolts in the process. Odly the alternator is held on with 2 M8 bolts, one is stuck in the bottom and I can't get to the back of it to smash an M6 bolt through the back of it.

It's just taking ages to do anything, really need to charge the buzz gun.

In other news I purchased something shiny and new, a 12v stop solenoid. Trying to get bits sold on ebay and need to weigh in a load of scrap from this to fund other bits.

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Project e46 v8 scratch that s14 vhate drift car xudlingo 34 13,110 03-07-2016, 11:13 AM
Last Post: xudlingo
  Daze's 400bhp Nissan Silvia drift car Dazecoop 45 18,273 02-02-2016, 12:23 PM
Last Post: Dazecoop
  The Landrover Cummins (12v 6BT) Conversion darrenjlobb 76 34,258 29-11-2015, 06:46 PM
Last Post: Danny Wideboy