Engine revs dropping when braking

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Engine revs dropping when braking
I have a 2001 306 hdi with 217.000 miles

Intermittently I get the revs dropping to the point where it feels like it will stall when pulling up to a junction. 

If I take my foot off the brake when stationary and re-apply the revs return to normal.

I thought about a vacuum leam but cant find anything obvious.

Any help appreciated
Thanks given by:
vac leak wont be too obvious if it is indeed the issue.

the vac on these is supplied by a pump rather than manifold vacuum and I don't think the vac has any further input to the engine side of anything on the HDi.. will likely be corrected if I am wrong however.

Try this: When rolling on a CLEAR empty piece of road, get up to 30mph and then depress the clutch and immediately release the throttle pedal and idle..

if the revs die down below you know its not a braking issue but an issue when you release the engine to an unloaded idle state and that would point to another area.. TPS, MAF sensor etc

There is a clutch switch on these, it sits just at the top of the clutch pedal and is only clipped in gently.. the switch should be closed when the clutch is released and open when you depress the clutch. Might be worth a check.

do the revs drop below "normal" (about 900) and present the symptoms you described above?

are there any loose connections or wires around that could (under braking) be moved forming a worse connection ?

Have you had any work done on the MAF sensor recently?
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by: pug306driver
clutch switch, thanks for the heads u[p on that one toseland, noted that in my note book.

don't want to shanghi this thread or muddy the waters, but does the ecu increase revs slightly when clutch is pressed when car is moving at above say 20mph, in expectation of a down ward gear change??  have noticed this happening, and easy to achieve with ecu control, or it may be my big feet!
Thanks given by:
(23-05-2016, 11:54 AM)pug306driver Wrote: clutch switch, thanks for the heads u[p on that one toseland, noted that in my note book.

don't want to shanghi this thread or muddy the waters, but does the ecu increase revs slightly when clutch is pressed when car is moving at above say 20mph, in expectation of a down ward gear change??  have noticed this happening, and easy to achieve with ecu control, or it may be my big feet!

Its some electronic unicorn magic that holds revs steady in an effort to make gearchanges more smooth on most HDis (haven't seen one without) and some of the other models. on cars fitted with Cruise, its one of the automatic disengage inputs, (as is braking) for the CC

I dunno if it does it on the HDi but I know some VAG models and other cars will restrict revs if the clutch is depressed to say 3250 or something to protect the engine, don't think Peugeot do this on our cars.

when you look at it you will see what I mean about it being clipped in, its a ribbed piece of tube that just slides into position via a little clip.. mine fell out and it was strange to drive to say the least.   clipped back in, engaged properly and it improved it markedly
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
Hi

Thanks for all the info. Theres a quiet road on my way home from work tonight so ill give it a go
Thanks given by:
(23-05-2016, 10:58 AM)toseland Wrote: vac leak wont be too obvious if it is indeed the issue.

the vac on these is supplied by a pump rather than manifold vacuum and I don't think the vac has any further input to the engine side of anything on the HDi.. will likely be corrected if I am wrong however.

Try this:  When rolling on a CLEAR empty piece of road,  get up to 30mph and then depress the clutch and immediately release the throttle pedal and idle..  

if the revs die down below you know its not a braking issue but an issue when you release the engine to an unloaded idle state and that would point to another area..  TPS, MAF sensor etc

There is a clutch switch on these,  it sits just at the top of the clutch pedal and is only clipped in gently.. the switch should be closed when the clutch is released and open when you depress the clutch. Might be worth a check.

do the revs drop below "normal" (about 900) and present the symptoms you described above?

are there any loose connections or wires around that could (under braking) be moved forming a worse connection ?

Have you had any work done on the MAF sensor recently?
Hi

I tried this the revs stayed as they should.
Thanks given by:
possibly a loose wire or connection or other electrical problem... wonder if something is pinching a fuel line?
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
(24-05-2016, 09:33 AM)toseland Wrote: possibly a loose wire or connection or other electrical problem...    wonder if something is pinching a fuel line?

I must admit I forgot to mention this happens during cold weather. 

Could it be lack of electrical power if the battery isnt 100%?
Thanks given by:
I dunno... I doubt it..

have you had any code readings? might be something there possibly, might even just be when the engine is cold if the temp sensor is not up to scratch..
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
Would bet on fuel pressure regulator in the high pressure pump jamming.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question EML, high idle, revs taking time to drop??? highwayman306 13 2,894 07-08-2015, 06:41 PM
Last Post: highwayman306
  revs dropping. like misfire. kris_taylor1988 18 2,795 01-02-2015, 09:09 PM
Last Post: JTaylor2005
  Hdi revs droppin and fluctuating? daveylennon93 4 1,137 17-11-2014, 06:24 AM
Last Post: Poodle