Service history

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Service history
How do you guys keep the history recorded?

In my Dturbo I shoved the invoices in a folder. I did start a record on the computer but never kept it up.

Keeping track on when it's due I go off the service indicator on the dash.

I'm thinking of getting some of these to record things on the GTI.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-x-Blank-Ser...xy86RSXWSC

They look good but I think I might need a bit more space for comments on additional work eg suspension work or aircon.

I might just print my own version off at work.
Thanks given by:
I keep all the car documents etc in an A4 folder.
I keep the service record up to date by writing in the relevant page - I include all work carried out with mileage and date.
Depending on my annual mileage I try to avoid work during the winter months - so try to do services either in spring or late autumn if possible ( sometimes I carry out servicing slightly early to avoid winter work).
Thanks given by:
Yep all my documents are in a a4 folder with invoices for parts, I gave up documenting the service dates and miles when I used to service the car around 4 times a year (that was when I was doing around 36k a year).

Winter servicing doesn't bother me, as long as it's not raining.
Thanks given by:
I bought a breaker that came with a ring binder full of receipts a few years ago. Has 306 written on it so I binned the receipts and have used it for car stuff ever since lol, it was free after all. Wink

With keepers (Focus atm) I keep all receipts and MOTs in there in date order. And also briefly write in the service book what has been done.

With 'short terms' (GTi6 atm) stuff just goes in a clear wallet ready to give the new owner. Would also write in the service book but they're fairly rare with the kinda stuff I buy lol.

I'd much rather see a load of receipts than a book full of stamps myself as a buyer.
Thanks given by:
Yup a 'full service history' is only as good as the guy with the stamp LOL
But to be fair - some cars with FSH are well maintained !
Obviously with an older car - those of us who can work on cars are not gonna pay someone else to do regular servicing - as I have got older - I have got a little choosy about jobs I can handle - but usually try and find a local with good feedback to do any work I am unwilling to do any more (if i think the resultant pain is not worth the money saved LOL)
Thanks given by:
(22-05-2016, 11:40 AM)Toms306 Wrote: I bought a breaker that came with a ring binder full of receipts a few years ago. Has 306 written on it so I binned the receipts and have used it for car stuff ever since lol, it was free after all. Wink

That's a shame all someone hard work in the bin lol.

(22-05-2016, 11:40 AM)Toms306 Wrote: I'd much rather see a load of receipts than a book full of stamps myself as a buyer.

Yep, seen a lot of dodgy stamps in service books, receipts seem more genuine that work has been carried out.
Thanks given by:
Well I did recycle the receipts tbf... lol I must admit I do feel a bit bad just throwing 15+ years of receipts, but they aren't much use when the rest of the car has been crushed lol!

Yeah I'm not keen on stamps, it looks nice to see a fully stamped book but unless it's backed up by receipts I just don't trust them!
Thanks given by:
(22-05-2016, 11:32 AM)DeeTurbo Wrote: Winter servicing doesn't bother me, as long as it's not raining.

Its a wee bit colderer up in jockistan Smile
Thanks given by:
I'm much as above really - all the receipts in a wallet or folder, sorted into date order.

Basically I keep paperwork in the same manner that I like to see it on any cars that I buy, and in a manner that I hope buyers would appreciate - not that I tend to sell many cars and the few that I do I don't think anyone has bothered looking at the paperwork! To me, a wallet full of receipts is more valuable and informative than a handful of stamps in a book, but seemingly I'm in the minority as the later is all most seem to care about, particularly on anything newer.

It might be coincidence, but of the cars that I've bought, owners who have been religious in keeping paperwork tend to be selling cars in better condition and with less bodges and evidence of scrimping. My most recent 205 GTi purchase had a frankly scary three(!) box files full of paperwork he'd built up over 20 years with pretty much everything you can think of in there somewhere - although as scary as the volume of paperwork was, it wasn't as scary as mentally adding up the amount that he'd spent over the years...
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
(22-05-2016, 11:53 AM)maxaret Wrote: Yup a 'full service history' is only as good as the guy with the stamp LOL

Yep, I have my own service stamp Smile anyone can get one made for a few quid.

Most cars I don't bother recording, I have a vague idea of when they were last done so know when it'll need done again and I aint selling most of the beaters as whole cars so it won't matter.

For the rallye and the scooby which have resale values I keep an A4 folder in date order, it's more of a pile of receipts and invoices than a proper service history but it'll do.
Thanks given by:
ung everything in a folder. keep a record on pc of my own servicing etc. depends whether youre going to be the last owner of the car!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  piece of 80s/90s history, procta 14 3,510 07-09-2013, 05:35 PM
Last Post: Jethro
  Vehicle history check... sweeney1987 8 2,258 18-05-2013, 07:59 AM
Last Post: darrenjlobb
  Service History.... Toms306 8 1,747 05-10-2012, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Toms306