Erratic idle GTi6

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Erratic idle GTi6
Any one got any ideas?

When sat idling after a couple minutes the revs bounce around a little between 800 and 1100 (normally say perfect at 1k)

Recently it's got worse and now has started bouncing up to 1500 or more and then sitting at that.

It's fine when it's driving only on idle. I've had an idle control valve go before but it just wouldn't idle at all, can it cause this?

Will strip it and clean it out but just want some input about what else it could be

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
Icv, just replace. In experience cleaning with only help for a few days. It will end up doing the same again
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
Im not that clued up on the gti's but i would say either the ICV playing up or an air leak on the inlet side of things maybe?
Thanks given by:
Air leak id say

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
GTI6 Info

Don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Thanks given by:
Yep definitely ICV. Started it tonight and it was revving up to 3k on its own, unplugged the ICV and it was happy to sit bang on 1k. Will see if I've got a spare in the shed

Thanks given by:
Well turns out I haven't got a spare so been driving it unplugged for now but it's starting to get the same as it was again making me think it could be something else..

Also feels as though the throttle is sticking on, if your less the pedal the revs stay up for a couple of seconds then drop off like they should. I've checked the cable and it's not in the best condition but there's no resistance or catching.

Need it sorted before FCS otherwise she won't be coming

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
Have you reset the ecu?
I haven't read back through the thread by the way
Thanks given by:
As cully says, it's more sounding like an air leak.

I'm not great on great on these yet but I've heard spraying brake cleaner around the inlet joints of bit and listen to an increase of revs?
Thanks given by:
(22-05-2016, 11:28 AM)Paul_13 Wrote: Have you reset the ecu?
I haven't read back through the thread by the way

I haven't Paul, didn't think it'd be likely to need a reset? Never had to in the past

(22-05-2016, 11:37 AM)DeeTurbo Wrote: As cully says, it's more sounding like an air leak.

I'm not great on great on these yet but I've heard spraying brake cleaner around the inlet joints of bit and listen to an increase of revs?

This is my thought, haven't got any brake or carb cleaner around but will see what I can find today and give it a go.

Was thinking maybe the throttle body butterfly was loose allowing extra air through. Again will have a look later

Thanks given by:
The ICV can cause the issues you describe. It can also cause issues whilst driving at low revs/rolling in gear and stalling. They are all old and on the verge of dying these days so might as well invest in a new one, or at the very least clean yours and plug it back in and see if that helps.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
Take it out, clean out, make sure the pipe work is clear.

Plug the icv back in without it being in the manifold and turn the ignition on and off whilst watching it. It should protrude and retract

Put the icv back in and reset the ecu
Thanks given by:
Looked into the erratic idle but didn't find anything obviously wrong, tried running with the TPS, ICV, MAF and Lambda unplugged at separate times and disconnecting battery between each change with no difference.

I did take the ICV out and clean it the other day, didn't try and run it while out of the car though

Need to get some carb/brake cleaner and spray around to see if there's an air leak.

Thanks given by:
Check the wire on the tps mine was frayed and made the idle and low end revs really temperamental
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:
WD40 also works for finding leaks if you have that already lying around.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
Frosty came over and plugged it into pug planet tonight. Fairly sure this code would be the ICV sensor faulty anyone confirm?

[Image: 6d10aaf726509eda99f352936034baa8.jpg]

Thanks given by:
Buy a new magneti marelli icv /thread
Thanks given by:
Was an answer found on this yet?
Thanks given by:
I've got a new one on the way, will update when it's fitted

Thanks given by:
digging up an oldish thread, but thought i would share my experience on it!

changed my ICV, it worked for a little bit, then started again, checked air leaks, nothing, eventually i cleaned the throttle body, it worked.. only a touch though, i didnt give it a thorough clean, so i properly cleaned it, all the crud taken out of the corners and made sure the spring was free of crud, since then i've not had an issue in the last 3 months

definitely clean the throttle body if you haven't yet!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  GTi6 Idle Woes lewisdmz 2 1,002 04-11-2013, 07:05 PM
Last Post: lewisdmz
  Gti6 idle issue NottsPug 42 9,908 08-07-2013, 09:21 PM
Last Post: Niall