Aircon going crazy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aircon going crazy
Hi everyone, I have a 1.8 liter 8v petrol version (Argentinean version), and I'm getting this funny fault, I was wandering if it ever happened to you. The aircon works great, that's not exactly the problem. But when it rains, and you have to turn it on (due to windshield mist probably), then it won't go off for days. The button in the console turns the light off, but the compressor will continue working. And most probably two or three days after that, you can hear it coming on as soon as you start the engine. I guess some faulty wire gets wet and it bypasses the switch, but any ideas? Thanks
Thanks given by:
Think yourself lucky, there are a few owners on here that would be envious of working aircon, but the majority of us have just gotten used to the fact they never work! lol

I've only just rediscovered the wonders of aircon, and I'm afraid I wouldn't have a clue as to the best place to start, but there are far more knowledgeable people on here who should be able to help you out, and I'm sure someone will be along shortly to take the reins. Wink
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
So you say I'd rather have it working all day? lol, thats a good one. The problem down here is we need it for the summers, 36ºC + 90% RH it's something you don't want, but you get it. Luckily we're heading winter.
I asked the aircon guy the last time I serviced it and he looked at me like ARE YOU NUTS? I've never seen something like that. It just goes on when it rains, what can I say! The other day I just disconnected the compressor until it healed itself, it was getting cold inside!
Thanks given by:
There must be water getting into a plug somewhere and shorting it. I haven't seen this exact problem before though!
Thanks given by:
there is a plug, behind the right head light, due to its location, i could see it getting damp. I would check there tbh, as thats the plug we tend to short out to make our aircon buttin into a rad fan on/off switch Smile
Not always Grumpy!!
306 Cabby SE, 2.0l 16v 
To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be!

Thanks given by: matore
Thanks! I'll give it a look asap

(12-05-2016, 07:26 PM)Toms306 Wrote: There must be water getting into a plug somewhere and shorting it.  I haven't seen this exact problem before though!

it's a weird fault, no doubt about it! Rofl No wonder why the aircon shop guy's face, though I expected he might have seen something at least similar.
Thanks given by:
Well today I could finally check that plug. I found it, quite dirty inside so I guess it could it. I cleaned it and sealed it, so now I need some rain to check if it worked! That may take a while, though they announce a bit for thursday, I'll keep posting about it. Cheers.
Thanks given by:
why not wash the car????? that will simulate the rain will it not lol
Not always Grumpy!!
306 Cabby SE, 2.0l 16v 
To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be!

Thanks given by:
(16-05-2016, 06:03 PM)insomaniac45 Wrote: why not wash the car????? that will simulate the rain will it not lol

That wouldn't be bad at all lol it needs a shower anyway the poor girl
Thanks given by:
Update: It's still doing it. It got a light rain yesterday, I turned on the AC for a couple of minutes, then back off but it kept on going all the way home. Today it still engages as soon as I start the car (even before starting the engine (being cold), when power is on, the radiator fans will spin, another sign of the ac "on" though the button is switched off as is the little green light. The compressor jumps in only when the engine has started, so it's operating properly except from the fact I don't want it to). I tried disconnecting the entire AC/heat control unit from the dash and it still works so it's not the switch failing. The only way I got to stop it is by taking out the relay (the green one under the steering wheel) but that leaves me with no heat or vent at all. So my guess is that something is getting in the controls at some point giving a false signal. Do you know where the compressor relay is? Cheers
Thanks given by:
Replace the green stuck on relay!
Thanks given by: