Hi guys, another Argie down here

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi guys, another Argie down here
Hi there, my name is Andres, and I'm from Argentina. As I see I'm not the first one from my country arround here. I've got a 306 that's been in the family since new and it's now got 53.000 km (36.000 miles) on the clock. It's a 4 door version (maybe the least seen in the UK?), 1.8L 8v petrol engine, locally made. '98 reg. There's quite a lot of '6s arround, since it used to be manufactured here. The local XR trim level came with aircon, power windows just in the front, power steering. As optionals in this case are the fog lights and the alloys.
It's my first car (I'm almost 21), and you could say it's been mine for the last 4 years, over this time I've read some things on the forum but never wrote anything so here I am. My grandpa gave it to me when he gave up driving, and last year he passed away so the bond to the car became even stronger.
Well, here are some pics:
[Image: IMG_1729.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0647.jpg]

A bit of dirt there:
[Image: IMG_3377.jpg]

And this little chap on the dashboard..
[Image: IMG_3447.jpg]

The only difference from the first pic is that now it's got ph3 headlights: better lightning and looks as well.
Looking forward to ask a couple of things on the forum,
Cheers from down south the world!

OT: I'm terribly ashamed of how things ended when Top Gear visited us, sorry.
Thanks given by:
Glad the love of the 306 is global!! Any plans ?
CLUB RALLYE
||AVO Race GTX Coilovers||Signature Blue Steels||P1 VTS Rack||Hybrid ARB||21mm Torsion Bar||rich_w Flywheel||
Thanks given by:
Hi Andres - welcome to the forum and love the pics Smile
Thanks given by:
Wow,. i have never personally seen a 306 booty Smile

looks wierd, but kind like a modern 309 Smile i loved them
Not always Grumpy!!
306 Cabby SE, 2.0l 16v 
To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be!

Thanks given by:
Thanks guys, glad you liked it, the idea is to keep it as original as possible, as it is quite new for a car that age. Of course taking really good care of it.
I can see why it looks weird to you, one thing I noticed visiting your (lovely) country is that you are really fond of hatchbacks and states, but not that much of sedans. Here we probably have a 50/50 distribution... There are rare versions of HB cars that get a booty. Speaking of Pugs, the 307 and the 206+ (they sell that to us as "207 compact", but it's a 206 facelift...), so it's quite common here. On the other hand, my mother used to have a Vectra (Chevrolet for us, Vauxhall for you), and the only version we knew here was the sedan. So when I saw a HB Vectra there I was quite shocked as well.
I'll try to get a pic with the new headlights.
Thanks given by:
Saloon cars (sedan) used to be the norm over here as well,Most of my cars until the 80's were sedans,Hatchback cars are really practical and you can carry a lot of stuff in them .
There are some sedan versions of cars here but we do not see them that often !
Thanks given by:
Yes, I guess you turned into hatchbacks more than we did, or maybe before, because it may be happening here slowly now. We probably have more "inertia" for that kind of things, the Ford Falcon (big 50's saloon) was made here until 1992 or something, and the Pug 504 until 2000, so you can see what I'm all about... And of course there's some technical delay as well.
Even rarer for me were the state cars to be honest, there are really few of them here.
I messed up there with sedan, I know you say saloon, but when writing that it came to my mind Jeremy Clarkson saying sedan. Now I realize it was him criticizing the americans, not actually using the word hahaha
Thanks given by:
We use both really (saloon and sedan) but saloon was the usual discription in the UK historically.I liked the old Pugs - they were tough cars - I worked in zimbabwe in the early 80's and the 504 was a popular car (presumably made in S Africa) although Ford Lasers etc were appearing (Mazda 323 in the UK).
Our style of cars in the UK was forced on us by petrol prices - especially after the Oil crisis in 1974 !
Thanks given by:
Yes, I know what you mean. The same happened here but more recently. Petrol was really cheap until the late 80's. Then it started to go up. And now, when oil goes down worldwide, it's still growing. Silly policies, when a barrel was 120usd a few years ago, the price was fixed at 76 by the government, to support the motorists and transport. Now that it's gone down to 40 or less, guess what, it's still fixed at 76, so we're supporting the "poor" oil companies, which the biggest of them is state-owned. There's an alternative fuel, similar to LPG, only that it is compressed natural gas. It's really widespread, all cabs run on CNG, and many cars as well. But yet another drawback, this year it went from a quarter the price of the petrol to barely a half, so... We import gas and then use it on cars, it's not that clever is it?
Thanks given by:
Hi matore Smile
Thanks given by:
(12-05-2016, 02:53 PM)insomaniac45 Wrote: Wow,. i have never personally seen a 306 booty Smile

Wow, where you been matey? Never seen one in China blue if that's what it is right enough!

(12-05-2016, 03:50 PM)matore Wrote: Yes, I guess you turned into hatchbacks more than we did, or maybe before, because it may be happening here slowly now. We probably have more "inertia" for that kind of things, the Ford Falcon (big 50's saloon) was made here until 1992 or something, and the Pug 504 until 2000, so you can see what I'm all about... And of course there's some technical delay as well.

Did all the 504 states from there end up in Africa too?
It started in the late 90's here when my dad sold all the last of his 7 seaters to guys from morocco or Ghana and moved onto 505's but they're nearly all gone too Sad
Even rarer for me were the state cars to be honest, there are really few of them here.
I messed up there with sedan, I know you say saloon, but when writing that it came to my mind Jeremy Clarkson saying sedan. Now I realize it was him criticizing the americans, not actually using the word hahaha

It (306 sedan) was among the only saloon marketed here in the 90's as a sedan!
Thanks given by:
(19-05-2016, 10:43 PM)Redordead89 Wrote:
(12-05-2016, 02:53 PM)insomaniac45 Wrote: Wow,. i have never personally seen a 306 booty Smile

Wow, where you been matey? Never seen one in China blue if that's what it is right enough!

(12-05-2016, 03:50 PM)matore Wrote: Yes, I guess you turned into hatchbacks more than we did, or maybe before, because it may be happening here slowly now. We probably have more "inertia" for that kind of things, the Ford Falcon (big 50's saloon) was made here until 1992 or something, and the Pug 504 until 2000, so you can see what I'm all about... And of course there's some technical delay as well.

Did all the 504 states from there end up in Africa too?
It started in the late 90's here when my dad sold all the last of his 7 seaters to guys from morocco or Ghana and moved onto 505's but they're nearly all gone too Sad

It (306 sedan) was among the only saloon marketed here in the 90's as a sedan!

So a funny typo of mine that turned out to be right by mere chance lol. Did you add that part of the 504 states? It wasn't on my message. About that, the 504 state (the 505 as well really) was quite rare, as almost all states, they made the 4 door version here and those like the state were imported. I love the 504 coupe but I think there is not a single one of them here. So I don't think, even on the saloon, that they would've gone to Africa, for several reasons: distance, prices (used cars here are really expensive, I can get the equivalent of 4000 pounds for mine or even a bit more), regulations on shipping cars (don't know about shipping them out, but you just can't import a second hand car), and also there are lots of them still going on our own roads.
The same happened to the 306, 4 and 5 versions made here; 3 door, cc and state brought from abroad.
Thanks given by:
The African 504's were mostly assembled in Africa,they were tough cars which coped with Strip and Dirt roads very well,when away from our own country it is quite amusing to see different versions of familiar cars Smile South Africa also built local versions of BMW's - the styling was a  little odd compared to european cars !

Below is from Wiki - I am lazy Smile
Quote:Manufacturing continued in Nigeria and Kenya until 2006, utilising the Peugeot knock down kits. Kenya production was 27,000 units and the car remained on sale to 2007, being described as "King of the African road".[9] Egypt also had its own production facilities. In South Africa it was built by PACSA (Peugeot and Citroën South Africa) alongside the 404 until late 1978. Sigma Motor Corporation took over from PACSA in early 1979 and moved 504 production to their "Sigma Park" plant east of Pretoria.[1] South Africa received the two-liter and TI versions until mid-1976 when the lower priced 1800 L version was added. The L has a matt black grille and window surrounds, and did not receive bumper overriders. A similarly equipped L Wagon had arrived earlier in the year, to replace the discontinued 404 Wagon.[6]The car was assembled in various countries, under license of Peugeot. In Australia it was assembled by Peugeot's rival Renault, and sold through Renault Australia's dealer network.
The Peugeot 504 is also one of the most common vehicles employed as a bush taxi in Africa.
In China, the 504 was produced in pickup form, with a four-door crew cab, a live rear axle, on an extended estate platform. These were built by Guangzhou Peugeot Automobile CompanyChinese production of the 504 pickup ceased in 1997, when the joint venture folded.
The Peugeot 504 was also produced in Argentina until 1999 by Sevel in El Palomar near Buenos Aires, in sedan, estate[10] and pickup forms. The pickup was manufactured in single and double cab with payload of over 1 tonne (1.300 kg ) from 1983-1997, and exported mainly to bordering countries.[10] In 1991 the later models were slightly restyled at the front and rear, with the lamps and bumpers changing design.[11] These cars were also given a new interior. Argentinian 504s offered the 1,971 cc petrol four-cylinder, or the 2,304 cc diesel.[11]
[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peugeot_504#cite_note-TAM92-11][/url]
Thanks given by: