So today I went to change an engine mount...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So today I went to change an engine mount...
Whilst having use of the college workshop facilities that I'm allowed to use along side my course I thought I would change the drivers side engine mount, removed the cylinder head bracket and everything in the way and it just came out in my hand.. Ended up having to weld in a new plate. Was
Not expecting that. Didn't need to patch up what was was there, just welded the nut a peice of 6mm thick plate cut to the outline of the mounting housing and welded that in place and used that as a new skin. Much stronger than what was already there 3 hour job providing you have everything you need there with you

And here is when I finished

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
Pretty common now, no chance I'm even looking at mine! lol
Thanks given by:
Can't believe Peugeot designed something that would hold the weight of an engine and used only 1mm think steel, no wonder it fractured Smile
Thanks given by:
I had this problem too. Fixed with a steel plate welded in just the same Smile Was perfect after that.
Current Car: Lexus CT200h 1.8 138, 2013, 19,500 miles
Previous Car: VW Passat 2.0 TDi 140, 2005, 136,000 miles
Previous Car: Peugeot 306 XLdt (stock!), 150,000 miles (I miss this car Sad)
Thanks given by:
in design it was fine.. the issue was with fatigue over 15 years,

to my knowledge none of these happened on new cars or to a point after.. and were a result of repeated use, corrosion and water deposition

the weight of the engine is supported by the subframe side mounts and torque mount on the gearbox, the top mount was merely a torque control mount to stop the engine rotating forward and back.

interestingly the engine on the vitara did not have this on the XUD but I suppose the mounting of the gearbox and lower mounts was enough to deal with the torsional stresses imposed when accelerating and decelerating.
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
(10-05-2016, 01:01 PM)toseland Wrote: the weight of the engine is supported by the subframe side mounts and torque mount on the gearbox, the top mount was merely a torque control mount to stop the engine rotating forward and back.

Eh?

Top mount and gearbox mount support the weight and bottom mount takes up the torque (back and forth rotation)

Drop a top mount off and see how well the engine sits.
Thanks given by:
Erm..top engine mount takes most of the weight!!!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(10-05-2016, 01:27 PM)zx_volcane Wrote:
(10-05-2016, 01:01 PM)toseland Wrote: the weight of the engine is supported by the subframe side mounts and torque mount on the gearbox, the top mount was merely a torque control mount to stop the engine rotating forward and back.

Eh?

Top mount and gearbox mount support the weight and bottom mount takes up the torque (back and forth rotation)

Drop a top mount off and see how well the engine sits.

i stand corrected then,  thought it was held up rather than hung. assumed it was the same as the mounting on the vitara for the XUD, which didnt have any top/front mount at all,  just the 2 on the engine front and back and then the 2 on the back of the gearbox and transfer box

either way the issues remain the same.. fine for the duration, fatigue and corrosion have taken their toll,
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
Take the top mount off and see what happens Tongue
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Noisy Engine After Cambelt Change tigerstyle 13 9,020 18-02-2017, 07:12 PM
Last Post: toseland
  Gearbox engine mount DeeTurbo 15 2,861 17-06-2016, 08:46 PM
Last Post: DeeTurbo
  Lower engine mount dimensions highwayman306 15 3,405 23-05-2015, 07:23 AM
Last Post: bashbarnard