Rear knocking from LHS on 01 Estate

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rear knocking from LHS on 01 Estate
Hi there.
I have a knocking which hasn't gotten any worse over the last few months - it mainly manifests it's self when going over speed bumps.
One knock on compression and another when rolling back off the speed bump.
It started after a trip down the country for a week with full car load  - babies buggies and all the kit and caboodle,  and rough roads.

I've heard there are torsion bars in these cars which can give trouble and the guy in the motor factors was offering me a rebuild kit - Didn't see what was included but its around 60 euro per side.

Just not sure how to go about diagnosing it and making sure I get the correct parts.

Has anyone else had this issue? - it only appears to be happening on the passenger side but I understand the torsion works across both wheels so perhaps it's become loose on that side. Haven noticed much extra camber - going to have a proper butchers at the weekend but not sure what I need to check. 

How much of a pig of a job is it to fix?  
Any advise is appreciated.

Clayton
Thanks given by:
First port of call is to check the rear beam mounts as they often make a noise similar to what you're describing. I'd also check the exhaust hasn't come loose as that could be a very easy fix!

As for the rear beam, I'd advise buying a replacement unit (Stef205 on here or IM axles) if yours does turn out to be dead.. Unless you have a wide range of tools, including pullers and slide hammers, you'll struggle to do a good job of rebuilding it.
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
Thanks for the info - I may just go ahead and replace the mounts and failing that I see you can get a recon shipped for around 120 gbp from Poland.
Are the guys you mention any cheaper?

That's defo the way to go as the rebuild kit was 60 quid per side and then there is the job of rebuilding to consider. not a fan of that!!!

One question - is there estate beam any different?
Thanks given by:
The estate beam is the same on the 306. I don't know why they list it differently on eBay.
Thanks given by: