Cabby Wont Start :(

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cabby Wont Start :(
ok, so that wire didnt fix my problem Sad

so, i have been looking through posts and threads, all to do with immobiliser, when i cam accross something Cully said,

The ignition powers the ECU, the ECu powers the fuel relay which powers the fuel pump...

Now being as my ECU failed to respond to PP2000, and my fuel pump is not coming on. Could it be a safe bet my ECU is not recieving power????

I have checked the ignition, and it is working as it should, (Orange wire then leads to CC2 on the diagram) but i cannot figure out which red wore in the bunndle of wires, is CC2 - which is what turns the ecu on.

Any one got any ideas?

My car is looking very sorry for itself atm,
Not always Grumpy!!
306 Cabby SE, 2.0l 16v 
To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be!

Thanks given by:
when you turn the ignition on is the engine management light coming on?

check the 15amp F9 fuse in the engine bay
check the 5amp F2 in the drivers compartment
check the 30amp F15 in the drivers compartment

check the engine loom plug at the chasis leg N/side

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
GTI6 Info

Don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Thanks given by:
Hi Cully, thanks for the reply Smile

I have checked every fuse, and all are OK across blades.

The smaller plug had a broken wire on the inside of the wing, matched that wire to a pin, then matched the pin to the corresponding wire the other side, but the connections were spotless and all other wires appeared in good shape.

I have what appears to be an engine light come on too. Smile

Thanks fella Tony
Not always Grumpy!!
306 Cabby SE, 2.0l 16v 
To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be!

Thanks given by:
when you say across blades, have you removed them to test them? as just by testing across the blades while plugged in can give you a false reading

GTI6 Info

Thanks given by:
Yeah, did a visual of the blades for defects and tested via multi-meter. Took a while but did it all 1 by 1 lol
Not always Grumpy!!
306 Cabby SE, 2.0l 16v 

Thanks given by:
there is one main earth for the ecu

remove the gearbox earth clean and refit
remove the chassis earth clean and refit (cables under the battery bolted to the chassis leg)

check the earth cable from the battery to gearbox to chassis leg is good not burned or broken

there is one main + supply point for the ECU

the tap off is on the Alternator there is 3 wires
1 small wire is the exciter
1large + 1 small is Battery and ecu feed

check the main battery positive as it runs...

battery>starter>Alternator at Alternator the smaller wire connected is the ecu feed this can burn off

also check the big fuses in the engine bay box
40Amp + 60amp ones

GTI6 Info

Thanks given by:
Wow a few things to check Smile ,

May take me a little while but will get on it today, thanks cully
Not always Grumpy!!
306 Cabby SE, 2.0l 16v 

Thanks given by:
Ok, wow the engine bay is tight!!!!!!!! Few scraps of the knuckles later..

There looks to be a fairly new earth cable on there, as the mating faces were spotless, this was from battery to gearbox to chassis leg. That is all good.

The ECU supply seemed good at the alternator end, but is there a pin I can test on the ECU plug to test its entire continuity?

Fuses in engine bay box are good. Pulled them all and tested Smile

OK, with a little more digging, i have found that pin 16 of the ECU is the battery feed,
Does any one know which one is 16? or 1 for that matter.

I have 2 rows of pins, so it could be in any one of 4 positions. from there i will be able to test the continuity to the alternator, making sure my ecu is actually getting power Smile

Tony
Not always Grumpy!!
306 Cabby SE, 2.0l 16v 

Thanks given by:
[Image: power%20pinout_zps102f606h.png]
Note that it's Pin 18 not  Pin 16.
Thanks given by: insomaniac45
Didn't realise you were here too puggered Smile thanks for the clarification, i may not be able to do much today as taking the family out after school, but I will do as much as I can.

Tony
Not always Grumpy!!
306 Cabby SE, 2.0l 16v 

Thanks given by:
don't know if this is any help

GTI6 Info

Thanks given by: insomaniac45
Nice job Cully Smile I did see another diagram of that, but it was quite blurry, hence why I thought it was 16 not 18 Smile

Well those have helped tons Smile

So, all is good on that front, ECU is getting power, and it has good earths.. So the only thing i can think of now, is that the ECU is not receiving the unlock code from the security box.

But, on another front. The missus has just told me, to start looking for another cabby. I am sad to say, i think her time is up. There are many good parts on her, some i will be keeping, others i will offer up in the for sale section Smile

It has been good while it lasted old girl, Smile but at least she will live on in others..

Thank you all so much for all your help. It truly is appreciated.

Tony.
Not always Grumpy!!
306 Cabby SE, 2.0l 16v 

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  car wont start ?? jjenn20 8 1,555 07-05-2015, 03:14 PM
Last Post: jjenn20
  XSI Wont start after being rebuilt???? jay5488 22 5,090 15-01-2013, 03:17 PM
Last Post: jay5488
  XU7JP4 Hard to start and wont rev Grant 7 2,431 27-03-2012, 01:26 PM
Last Post: Ruan