406hdi 110bhp - Intermittent Starting

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
406hdi 110bhp - Intermittent Starting
Hello folks,

My uncle has a 406hdi 110 that will sometimes start and other times wont, both when hot or cold.
The car will turn over fine so it isn't a battery issue.

Anyone any idea what could possibly be stopping it starting?

Thanks,
Anton
Thanks given by:
Could be lots of stuff but I'd check fuel pump first.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
(25-04-2016, 01:39 PM)jjwilde69 Wrote: Could be lots of stuff but I'd check fuel pump first.

Low pressure pump or high pressure pump?
How do you test the HP pump?
Thanks given by:
Low pressure pump, immobiliser, cam/crank synchronisation... Check out the thread in my sig, will get you started at least. Ideally you need to see some live diagnostics data, at the very least get the codes read.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by: anto
The low pressure one you can usually hear it whirrr a few seconds to prime the pump when you turn ignition to on. If you can't hear it then you can pop off the pipe to fuel filter in engine bay and turn key but catch any fuel if it starts pumping out. Could possibly be a clogged fuel filter but most likely low pressure pump. Low pressure easy to change. High pressure one needs cambelt off so hopefully not that one.

Thumbs Up 
(25-04-2016, 05:14 PM)Poodle Wrote: Low pressure pump, immobiliser, cam/crank synchronisation... Check out the thread in my sig, will get you started at least. Ideally you need to see some live diagnostics data, at the very least get the codes read.

Copied your post in that thread Poodle and printed it out. Il go through all the points you make and see what I come up with.
Thanks given by:
A friend of mine had a diesel C5 with starting probs and it was an extremely dirty fuel filter - it had probably never been changed LOL.
A good starting point maybe ?
Yeah mine needed changing too when i got it. Easy 10 minute job too. [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Thanks given by:
(26-04-2016, 09:06 AM)maxaret Wrote: A friend of mine had a diesel C5 with starting probs and it was an extremely dirty fuel filter - it had probably never been changed LOL.
A good starting point maybe ?

Il give it a go. It wont do it any harm anyway.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Intermittent non-starting fault dimar 5 1,525 13-08-2016, 07:50 PM
Last Post: DeeTurbo
  Intermittent not starting aggyj17 13 2,247 23-05-2016, 05:21 PM
Last Post: Poodle
  406 hdi 110bhp ecu on a 306 hdi 90bhp with fmic mattydturb 8 1,912 13-12-2014, 09:39 PM
Last Post: mattydturb