K&N Panel Filters?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
K&N Panel Filters?
Just seen on the guides section a how to service guide. It shows Dum-Dum fitting a panel filter from K&N. 

I always thought the general problem with these was killing MAF sensors. Are they not that bad? Do you think they make much difference power wise or do you reckon it would be hardly noticeable.

DOESN'T MATTER. JUST BEEN READING OTHER THREADS I MANAGED TO DIG UP AFTER. ALSO LOOKED AT DYNO RESULTS BIBLE.
Thanks given by:
You want to take advice on maintaining your car from Dum-dum? I love the guy, but just no. lol
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
No.

IME the inlet piping is more restrictive than the filter and housing itself.

Would love to do some testing of this at some time and actually measure the airflow rate and pressure drop/raise due to the inlet pipework.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Haha I did correct my self with this. Realized it was a pointless risk most likely and would probably ruin the MAF anyway lol.

Ruan - That would be an interesting idea although how easy I am not sure. I suppose you would just get those digital pressure sensors and tap in at various points before the turbo?
Thanks given by:
Easy as pie, some NXP MPX differential pressure sensors into a small arduino or similar along with a reasonably sized MAF sensor, and a method of getting some airflow - could easily knock something up to measure pipework restriction... As long as the air passing the MAF sensor is as laminar as it is in the stock application, you'd be fairly close... At least good enough to say whether something is an improvement or a hindrance...

If you wanted to measure it in the stock application and on the car - all the better. Wouldn't take very long at all, just need to tap in some sensors, not an expensive thing to do at all. I'd say you'd be able to rig up some form of differential pressure logging rig for sub 35 quid.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by: JTaylor2005
I've been running a K&N panel filter for the past 8 years and over 100k on mine with no issues with the MAF!
Thanks given by:
I run an ITG panel filter, have done for 3 years and I found it better than the K&N. seems more happier with the ITG.
Thanks given by:
theres details of this but essentially there are no gains over a stock paper filter.
Thanks given by:
I have one for sale im not going to use if anyone is interested.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Oil Filters JTaylor2005 6 1,288 24-10-2015, 09:03 AM
Last Post: Toms306
  Interesting read about open filters and MAF's Paul_13 9 2,470 29-07-2015, 12:36 PM
Last Post: Poodle
  stage 2+ cone filters and maf Just Sean 76 21,769 13-01-2013, 04:06 PM
Last Post: Mr Whippy