Finally have a '6, Spares or repair car now got an MOT!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Finally have a '6, Spares or repair car now got an MOT!
It is an amp cable, not necessarily redundant though!

On the subject of audio, missed it from my earlier post, tweeters weren't model specific but age specific, seem to remember its X reg where the separate tweeters came in. In ph2 they used woofers with 'material' tweeters built in, in the early ph3s they used woofers with plastic tweeters built it.
Thanks given by:
Ah, good to know.

Does that mean the X and Y GTI's had them?

I think the wiring in the door looms were there on my W Dturbo.

I might take them out the estate and swap them over as it does improve the sound bringing them up.
Thanks given by:
Yeah the later GTi's had them, as did everything from 1.4 up, can't remember if the wiring is already there or not on the older ones.
Thanks given by:
Photobucket seems to be down so photos later. Photos now added

This morning before going to the car to fix the exhaust leak I though I'd look at why one of the remote on the keys didn't work.

I found it was down to the switch on the board was jammed in the one position. Took the switch apart and bent the metal surround and that sorted it.
[Image: IMG_20160502_175212_zpsrucx3xbw.jpg]

When I got there I sorted the exhaust leaks, cleaned the chrome tip, you have to have a clean tip, but you can't see as it to far up the bumper.
[Image: IMG_20160502_113241_zpslwe4miqu.jpg]

You can see how short the mid section it here.
[Image: IMG_20160502_110956_zpsf67ujvo6.jpg]

I checked the lights, OSF side light looked like one of those fancy light bulbs with the low glow elements.
[Image: IMG_20160502_120410_zpskrytmm5x.jpg]

There was a bulb out on the OSR and when removing the cluster I found breaker marking under the unit.
[Image: IMG_20160502_121246_zps2ycnquzu.jpg]

Drivers door check strap was loose, tightened that.
[Image: IMG_20160502_114712_zpsxbkpctsh.jpg]

The short rubber return fuel line in above the rail looks like it could do with replacing.
[Image: IMG_20160502_114926_zpsnhpcyswf.jpg]

Looks like the previous owner was a smoker ask still in the ashtray will clean that one tomorrow when I get the car home.
[Image: IMG_20160502_124347_zpsg5gnmsg5.jpg]

Replaced both the front wipers and now it's ready for it's MOT in the morning.
Thanks given by:
Got it to the MOT station this morning and I've just called up... and it has passed! Advisory on wishbone bushes, I knew they were bad, I ordered some last week their at home waiting to go on.

Lots more to do on it now will have it home.
Thanks given by:
Good result then!! Big Grin
Thanks given by:
The best result was it made it to the test station lol

That was the first time I drove it and the first time I drove a '6!

I've found it'll need front discs, it vibrates when braking at high speed. Brakes felt a lot better then I thought they would.
Thanks given by:
Lol, so how did you find it? Other than the brakes...

The Focus has a horrific brake judder from speed but I can't seem to fix it! Changed front discs and pads, greased sliders, adjusted rear shoes...absolutely no difference! Guessing its not the brakes but something only under load when braking (bush somewhere!?) but it's passed at least 2 MOTs like it and I can't find the issue so learnt to live with it lol.
Thanks given by:
(03-05-2016, 12:33 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Lol, so how did you find it? Other than the brakes...

The Focus has a horrific brake judder from speed but I can't seem to fix it! Changed front discs and pads, greased sliders, adjusted rear shoes...absolutely no difference! Guessing its not the brakes but something only under load when braking (bush somewhere!?) but it's passed at least 2 MOTs like it and I can't find the issue so learnt to live with it lol.

Did you clean up the disc mounting face on the hub?
Cherry Red Rallye - Full on OEM resto.....
Thanks given by:
(03-05-2016, 09:21 PM)Ben_w Wrote:
(03-05-2016, 12:33 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Lol, so how did you find it? Other than the brakes...

Did you clean up the disc mounting face on the hub?

Yep, spent ages properly cleaning that and where the pad sits in the calipers. Don't think there's anything else brake related I can try now. As I sai have just learnt to live with it tbh, I don't tend to brake hard/from speed often anyway, more of an engine braker to save fuel lol.
Thanks given by:
Do you have a DTI to check runout?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
No, that's one tool I don't have. But as I say have changed the discs and cleaned the face and made difference at all!

I'm not that bothered by it any more tbh. The cruising vibration in the GTi6 at 60+ is more annoying lol, doubt anywhere will be able to get the rear tracking gauges on though lol! Might have to ask some VW mates who does their tracking.
Thanks given by:
So had the car home a week and not done anything to it yet. I had a race meeting the weekend and with my girlfriend in hospital I've not had chance to play with it.

I could do with the ac button or a new panel.
[Image: IMG_20160502_124337_zpsgx3r6zrk.jpg]

I think this switch is for the remote lead to turn an amp off that use to be in there.
[Image: IMG_20160502_124324_zpswrfquvr3.jpg]

Most the wiring it in there and I'm in two minds in upgrading the sound system as I'd like to keep it as original as possible. I'll do some rattle investigation to remove those annoying noisy when driving and I might sound deaden the doors a little.

I might take it work tomorrow but with the belt being so old I don't want to do to many miles.

Engine bay doesn't look to bad.
[Image: IMG_20160502_121742_zpstdgino8v.jpg]
[Image: IMG_20160502_121747_zpshvptvjo1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
If it turns out my heater panel is knackered, I'll send you the AC button if you want. Smile
Thanks given by:
That would be great if you could, I'll cover the postage.

Thanks given by:
(11-05-2016, 10:31 PM)DeeTurbo Wrote: That would be great if you could, I'll cover the postage.

If not drop me a message and ill send you one off my collection
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
Thanks that would be great if you could.
Thanks given by:
Didn't really get up to much on the car this weekend as the Dturbo needed some attention.

Before lunch I had a few spare minutes so had a look at a couple of things.

The seat adjuster for some strange reason the handle wasn't on right so fixed that.

[Image: IMG_20160515_124812_zps95vd1tmn.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20160515_124927_zpsir3cq0ev.jpg]

Whoever installed an amp in the past did it in a shit way and didn't put the carpet back right so I reseated that.
[Image: IMG_20160515_124955_zpsrxq1j7yh.jpg]

I removed the after market headunit.
[Image: IMG_20160502_124330_zpsvhoafsaz.jpg]

Found some dodgy wiring behind the unit. God knows why you would do this. Why not just cut there stereo wires instead of chopping the car harness. There was an invoice for work done when the battery kept going flat and it said it was down to the stereo incorrectly wired. Also notice the amp remote wire, why use the switched ignition and not the proper remote turn on/aerial power wire of the unit?
[Image: IMG_20160515_134827_zps2cfvuyqt.jpg]

The OEM unit back in.
[Image: IMG_20160515_144114_zpsqhxzxcdy.jpg]

I've got the autochanger but the brackets are missing, I'm not sure whether to source them and put it in.

The third brake light was loose and when I went to sort it I found the tabs were broken and the cover had been glued in. Going to get one from the breakers.

Hopefully next week I'll get the right water pump that I'll be happy to have on the car and I'll replace the cam belt.
Thanks given by:
Went to return the crap water pump and lambda to ECP, so thought I'd take the car for a run.

On parking up when I got home, I looked out the window and saw a puddle under the car.

When out the find this.
[Image: f404de9ad712fc23e2a974006f4e88e5.jpg]

The bottom of the rad looks a bit battered and I think when I tried messing with the top to clip forward I must have broken the bottom.

New rad will be on order when I see some good deals. I'll replace it when I do the cambelt associated bits and condenser.

Gives me an excuse not to drive it now as I've been getting nervous about the belt snapping.

Thanks given by:
So pissed off, wanted to take the car to work tomorrow so put a replacement rad on this evening. It took a while but I was getting there. Then the bloody stat bleed screw sheared its head. Thought f*ck but got it out and put a replacement in thought great back on track then when bleeding the system of air with the motor running and getting the last bit out the stat opened load of air came out. Two seconds later I hear a snap. The stat housing had broken. I'll stick photos up tomorrow.

Thanks given by:
Looks like the brakes are binding a little, I'll be ordering a rebuild kit for the calipers.
http://vid984.photobucket.com/albums/ae3...o9tyop.mp4

Got some bits from the breakers.

Third brake light, tab was broken on the one on the car.
[Image: IMG_20160522_165725_zpsfi1hmcsi.jpg]

Jack was missing so got one of them and the red slide of the lambda connector.
[Image: IMG_20160522_170824_zpsvwvvnzxo.jpg]

Red slide fitted.
[Image: IMG_20160522_171412_zpsdkr1bje5.jpg]

Got some brackets for the autochanger, not sure if I'll be fitting it at the moment. I'll be cleaning the rust off these and painting them if I do.
[Image: IMG_20160522_172316_zpszafd1dzp.jpg]

Good job I've got a new pulley, this one doesn't look to great. Hopefully with the new seals and a clean up the block will be nice and dry.
[Image: IMG_20160526_193908_zpsjqffkzhh.jpg]

Bloody bleed screw, I'm not the type of person that over tightens thing. I felt the screw starting to tighten up on the threads and not on the flat before the head came off.
[Image: IMG_20160526_223348_zpsjbiuug33.jpg]

Drilled a hole and got a stud extractor in there.
[Image: IMG_20160526_230236_zpsxytj01eh.jpg]

Removed.
[Image: IMG_20160526_230709_zps0y2fd3ez.jpg]

Replaced with a stainless cap head and dowty washer I had, but I've bought the proper brass bleed screw and coper sealing washer today.
[Image: IMG_20160526_230417_zpsbutico2b.jpg]

Then after finally bleeding all the air out I heard a snap and the thermostat housing pissed out a load of water.
[Image: IMG_20160526_233550_zpsitam3xzs.jpg]

The old rad was badly corroded at the bottom and I've got a feeling it might have been crap put in there to stop it leaking eg rad weld or the like.
Thanks given by:
had that happen to me fella, on the blue one, it has a small pin hole leak, and like a pro, i used some rad weld, just as i got home, it burst destroying the rad, i think that stuff is only good if you have a fairly new rad that develops a leak..... not a manky old one like what i had Sad
Not always Grumpy!!
306 Cabby SE, 2.0l 16v 
To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be!

Thanks given by:
(27-05-2016, 05:28 PM)insomaniac45 Wrote: had that happen to me fella, on the blue one, it has a small pin hole leak, and like a pro, i used some rad weld, just as i got home, it burst destroying the rad, i think that stuff is only good if you have a fairly new rad that develops a leak..... not a manky old one like what i had Sad

A hole in the system is a hole in the system and filling the cooling system with shitty gunk is a total bodge regardless of how new the radiator is.

It's fine if you're trying to keep an old shitter limping along but on a car you want longevity out of it's a bad idea. Radiators aren't even that much money.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
that is true, but now i have a good spare for the cabby Smile and a GTI one in the cabby atm Smile lol. so no gunk ever going in her......
Not always Grumpy!!
306 Cabby SE, 2.0l 16v 
To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be!

Thanks given by:
A couple of weeks back I changed the rad,

The fins all rotted out.
[Image: IMG_20160610_212248_zpsu4o1sclh.jpg]

Looks like someone used radweld to plug the leak.
[Image: IMG_20160610_210548_zps6okmmhql.jpg]

Bought a little bit ratchet and ground down a T30 bit to get to the bolt that's under the master cylinder on the cover over the plugs.
[Image: IMG_20160610_202711_zpsdwmcqy7j.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20160610_210135_zpsiciyon7m.jpg]

I've not had chance to do much on the car because of other things going on and the wet weather but on Sunday I had the chance to replace the cambelt and aux belt items.

These are the new aux rollers with the HDI rollers, it's no wonder the 6' weighs so much with big silly parts like these.
[Image: IMG_20160603_205544_zpscofuzoue.jpg]

Pulleys pinned.
[Image: DSCN9404_zpsnmpfx4ry.jpg]

New water pump in.
[Image: DSCN9407_zpse8iz3s5x.jpg]

Good job I bought a new crank pulley as you can see how much the old one had slipped.
[Image: DSCN9410_zpsjgvlclxo.jpg]

Got a Dayco kit and they've sent a wrong bolt. It was missing the M8 bolt that holds the tensioner.
[Image: DSCN9412_zpse0xeuz05.jpg]

Also glad I got new rollers on the aux side as the old ones were dry and rattly. [Image: DSCN9413_zpsyqp7afmv.jpg]

Pulley, rollers and belt on.
[Image: DSCN9414_zpseiql9wcj.jpg]

The old water pump looked and felt good.
[Image: DSCN9416_zpsoy2ko6zk.jpg]

I was surprised to see it was the original.
[Image: DSCN9417_zpspt0yntvz.jpg]

I changed the rad clips to.
[Image: DSCN9419_zpsor3k5cz4.jpg]

[Image: DSCN9420_zpsnvy6vvix.jpg]

Hopefully this week in the evenings I'll be rebuilding the front calipers and on the weekend I'll be changing the clutch.

For some reason I'm not feeling the love for this car. I was more excited about working on the estate then this. Talking of the estate, this week it passed another MOT with now advisories.

I found the cambelt a pain to do on this. After taking the pegs out and turnning the engine over by hand one of the cams didn't line up and also the inlet cam kept springing back. It say's it's a three hour job in Autodata. Looking at it I thought I'd get it done in two but I started at 11 and I didn't get in till 9 that evening lol.

I hope the clutch isn't going to be that bad a job.
Thanks given by:
Looks like you're making decent progress tbh!

How much were the rad clips? Didn't realise you could still buy them new!
Thanks given by:
The rad clips are around a fiver each.

I drove it to work today and at speed you can feel the front doesn't feel that great with the worn P bushes. I've got some to go on and I've ordered some powerflex front wishbone bushes to. I almost bought some Febi wishbones but thought there wasn't any point new one only to rip out the front bushes for the powerflex ones.

The car definitely feels stiffer then the Dturbo and the seating position feels a lot higher which I'm not too keen on.

Sounds like the rad cap might also need swapping out as I could hear pressure leaking from it.

Hey ho lots to do.
Thanks given by:
So gave the cars a quick clean this evening.

It looks like the driver door has been replaced with a Nial blue one. It's been sprayed but they didn't spray the door handle and mirror cap, very strange.

[Image: IMG_20160705_212711_zpsvfpiyosc.jpg]

It does come up very nice in photos.
Thanks given by:
Been driving the car the last few days and got stuck in traffic tonight because of this my foot is killing from the very heavy clutch.

I also think the engine mounts could do with replacing because of the engine had a bit of rocking when going on and off the throttle.

This evening I've removed the front calipers so I can sand blast them and rebuild them tomorrow.

The drivers top slider was very tight and the slider kept tuning, I couldn't hold a 17mm spanner on it and hit the 13mm with a mallet at the same time so I strapped the 17mm to the chassis loop.
[Image: IMG_20160707_202522_zpssuktrf7q.jpg]

I had no problems undoing the bottom as that slider was seized solid.

I accidentally ripped the pad wear wires off when removing the caliper from the carrier Sad Not an issue as I have new discs and pads to go on.
[Image: IMG_20160707_203025_zpscjuohuw0.jpg]

The top slider on the N/S/F didn't even have the rubber boot fitted correctly.
[Image: IMG_20160707_204502_zpsu5afmb7n.jpg]

Something is missing.
[Image: IMG_20160707_205541_zpsv8hnx7du.jpg]

I've gone over the seized sliders with a wire brush and left them soaking in penetrating over night, hopefully they'll free up and I hope the carriers where the sliders go in to will be ok.
[Image: IMG_20160707_211508_zpshdfecppj.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Missed this thread...
Love projects like this...you're doing all the tidying bits I would do...and love to do... Ocd pleasure!

Keep at it
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by: