Ignition barrel fault... No springyness

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ignition barrel fault... No springyness
I've honestly never come across this before...

The 206 ignition barrel developed an odd fault yesterday.

Key in/out fine. Ign 1 and 2 fine.

Go to start, fine. But...the key won't return to ign2 position without you doing it yourself. Or it stays there grinding the starter away!

Any ideas?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Lubed it? Had a similar issue getting the key to p3, the barrel obviously dried out.
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
I've tried a bit... But worried what to use now as few people mentioned oils are bad for locks/barrels
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Graphite lock lube. Its kick arse stuff. But to me it sounds the the barrel is fubard and the spring has gone. Worth trying some proper lock libe first though
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
Ye seen this before piggy Renault traffic van was a f.cker for it the amount of people that came to my work because they have brunt the starter out was unreal then they would get the ignition while they were there. Is there a  switch on the back seprit from the barrel if so u might just need that instead of replacing the the hole thing :-)
Thanks given by:
Spring failed in the barrel would be my guess - had this happen on a 205 before.

I believe that it can be fixed by carefully taking apart the barrel, although I just replaced the lockset as that particular car was on mismatched locks anyway.
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
Ah buga
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I've come across this issue on a clio and i imagine is pretty much the same design. Pretty certain that was a issue with the barrel as others have said.
Thanks given by:
As said just drop a new barrell in it, have had this occur many times! Depends how much it annoys you, have drove cars for months like it tbh!
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
New barrel means new key... Means new lock set.

Just a farce.

Has anyone successfully managed to take it apart and fix?!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(26-04-2016, 09:05 AM)Piggy Wrote: New barrel means new key... Means new lock set.

Just a farce.

Has anyone successfully managed to take it apart and fix?!

Why new lock set? Just means a different key for ign vs doors? Is this not pretty much standard practice in all Peugeots anyway? My 305 has 5 different keys!
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
No.
I have one key for my 306 and one key for the 206.
It would then mean me and mrs piggy having two keys each for one car!?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Lol, sorry, clearly we have grown up in very different lifestyles Tongue Cant remember the last car I had which had matching locks / only needed one key tbh.... Fairly standard practice to carry jump leads and can of ether tbh let alone get concerned over having more than 1 key to start and drive.
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
lmao

I'm on the verge of full ocd with keys
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(26-04-2016, 11:58 AM)darrenjlobb Wrote: Lol, sorry, clearly we have grown up in very different lifestyles Tongue Cant remember the last car I had which had matching locks / only needed one key tbh.... Fairly standard practice to carry jump leads and can of ether tbh let alone get concerned over having more than 1 key to start and drive.

That's been the standard in lobb land ever since I can remember. Jump leads are the most looked after tool!
Thanks given by:
Yeah i carry jump leads everywhere!
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
Who doesnt?!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I don't...they've been on my 'I should get some' list for years, don't even have any at home!! Confused. I do carry a tow rope and socket set everywhere though lol. Also on topic, different keys for one car would really annoy me too haha!!
Thanks given by:
rebuild the new barrel with the old key pin set.
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
(26-04-2016, 02:57 PM)welshpug Wrote: rebuild the new barrel with the old key pin set.

I've done this before with ford locksets... Fiddly but not too tricky.

Never with pug barrel...how difficult is that? You managed it?

My alternative...

Pull the start wire from barrel and fit a starter button lol
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Starter button = epic mod..

need to have a big red one really obvious on the dash somewhere!
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
(29-04-2016, 01:25 PM)toseland Wrote: Starter button = epic mod..

need to have a big red one really obvious on the dash somewhere!

Standard fix right?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
No idea but I want one..
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
(26-04-2016, 04:17 PM)Piggy Wrote: I've done this before with ford locksets... Fiddly but not too tricky.

Never with pug barrel...how difficult is that? You managed it?

I was going to suggest re-pinning the new lock, I've done it with a partner van... wasn't too bad.

tbh you might find that it is easy enough to replace the return spring. I honestly can't remember.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Key Barrel Welshy_Pete 4 1,852 14-01-2017, 12:45 AM
Last Post: Welshy_Pete
  306 Ignition Barrel stuck! 306clot 3 1,729 09-08-2014, 03:20 PM
Last Post: 306clot
  How do I remove ignition barrel?? Coops69 3 1,628 09-08-2013, 03:04 PM
Last Post: Scott