Battery light

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Battery light
The other day my airbag circuit went faulty, so until it is sorted I have removed the bulb because the flashing warning light becomes very distracting whilst night driving. So while the dials were out I remembered my battery light was on because of a poor earth so I removed that bulb aswell. Now with the bulb removed would it stop the alternator from charging the battery because there is an incomplete circuit?
Thanks given by:
No that shouldn't affect it. Be best to sort the issue with the bad earth. though. But how do you know its a bad earth that is the issue though? Could just be early signs of the alternator dying.
Thanks given by:
yes it will stop it charging as bulb is part of the charging circuit. put voltmeter on battery to check voltage, then refit the bulb and measure again....you will see alternator voltage at battery terminals once bulbs back in.
Thanks given by:
yes it will stop it charging, the battery lamp circuit feeds the exciter circuit in the alternator

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
GTI6 Info

Don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Thanks given by:
I put a post on here while ago explaining the battery light being dim and I was told it could be a poor battery earth

It wasn't until I removed the bulb and refitted the dials I remembered being told at depending collage on how the bulb is wired, if I'm right in saying if it's in parallel it would just by pass around the missing bulb and if in series I needs the bulb to complete the circuit. Driving today I had a couple of coughs come from the engine but it hasn't died on me yet. It must be getting some charge but not enough.
Thanks given by:
Ah i got that a bit work. On my old 306 i had the battery light that would come on dim sometimes and that was an early sign of the alternator dying.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Battery warning light/fuse keeps blowing.HELP Clump1298 8 1,708 03-09-2020, 08:21 AM
Last Post: ekjdm14
  Flashing battery light. NEW PROBLEMS Matt 25 5,541 11-09-2016, 06:57 AM
Last Post: C2K
  Boot light draining battery Dreijers 8 2,227 26-02-2015, 10:12 AM
Last Post: Dreijers