Tom's Nile GTi6

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tom's Nile GTi6
I'm collecting 2L of oil from the dealers tomorrow and it's about 16 pounds.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
I know how much it is, I must've bought at least 20 litres of the stuff over the years. lol
Thanks given by:
When I bought mine offline I think it was 8 quid a bottle

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
If you come to Warwickshire to get it you're welcome to have the genuine oil I drain out which has probably done about 1-2k miles max and is still golden brown colour. lmao
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

Project Thread
Thanks given by:
Why arent you reusing it if it's done such low mileage? Confused

In other news, got the degreaser and the hose around the bay this morning while waiting for the focus to dry. looks a bit better but needs the jetwash tbh, just CBA to get it out this morning lol.
Thanks given by:
still cant get over that drivers seat condition....
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
It was partially retrimmed 2000 miles ago lol. Wink. Is a good colour match though tbf!

Have asked the same place for a quote on wheel and knob retrim but that won't be for a few months if at all.
Thanks given by:
Do you know how much the seat retrim was?
Thanks given by:
Yeah also interested in the seat retrim

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
Nope, it's on a garage receipt to 'remove seat to send to retrimmers'.

Give the proximity of the previous owners location to it, I would guess it was done at Goldsmiths on Bramford Road in Ipswich.

Oh, on another note, just been for a 25 mile run out, mixed town, B road and dual carriageway. And I'm so glad I done the clutch cable!! Big Grin

The gear selection issue didn't seem to be so noticeable this evening, 3rd is crunchy when changing from 7k though, I would assume that's the 'box synchros tbh, probably had a hard life!

Also, I was surprised how much difference the air snorkel makes, it's quietened it down considerably on the motorway, and improved the sound under load! I also feel like it's given it some more pull but that's probably placebo lol. Anyway, point is, after having an induction kit on the last one, I would keep the full standard system given the choice between the two. Smile
Thanks given by:
(28-04-2016, 12:14 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Why arent you reusing it if it's done such low mileage? Confused

If I'm draining it I might as well replace Smile

Project Thread
Thanks given by:
(28-04-2016, 09:03 PM)RetroPug Wrote:
(28-04-2016, 12:14 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Why arent you reusing it if it's done such low mileage? Confused

Well it's your decision, I think if it was me, low mileage and clean I'd probably catch it in a clean container and re-use it, bit more eco friendly...
Thanks given by:
(28-04-2016, 09:05 PM)Toms306 Wrote:
(28-04-2016, 09:03 PM)RetroPug Wrote:

Well it's your decision, I think if it was me, low mileage and clean I'd probably catch it in a clean container and re-use it, bit more eco friendly...

tom is oil over it!
Thanks given by:
(28-04-2016, 08:19 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Also, I was surprised how much difference the air snorkel makes, it's quietened it down considerably on the motorway, and improved the sound under load! I also feel like it's given it some more pull but that's probably placebo lol. Anyway, point is, after having an induction kit on the last one, I would keep the full standard system given the choice between the two. Smile

The snorkel feeds of the lower grill, that is a large area. There will be a fair bit of pressure there at speed so the the whole system will have a ram air effect.
Thanks given by:
New lambda fitted, no more jerking! Big Grin
Thanks given by:
So! The car is much smoother and nicer to drive at speed with the new lambda and clutch cable BUT (there's always a but...) the gear issue is really bad. Basically when it's cold the gears slip in an out nicely, but give it 10 mins running and they get really stiff, half an hour and it gets stuck in gear and all 'in's have to be crunched, not ideal trying to find a parking space in a busy car show this afternoon, got so fed up with it I bumped it over a 2" kerb and a grass mound, wrenched/crunched into reverse and called that parked lol. No idea why MY95 cant get up kerbs if I can with 40mm drop at the front and a ridiculous beam lol. Tongue

Was cold when I got back to it and changed perfectly again! Until another 10 or so mins where it got really tight again, had to wrench/crunch it into reverse when I got home as well.

So obviously this needs sorting, why is it only a problem when hot though? Wrong oil problems are usually when cold I thought? The linkages are 'loose' but would they get worse when hot? I just don't want to spend £50 on new oil and linkages and find it's no better.
Thanks given by:
drain the oil check the quantity in there bet its really low or thick n gloupy!

won't cost you anything to drain it

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
GTI6 Info

Don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Thanks given by:
Is the biting point really low when it gets like that?
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
No the bite is fine with the new cable, moving off is really easy and smooth, haven't stalled it once with the new cable lol...it's just getting the gear lever in that's the issue!
Thanks given by:
Did you say it was ok before the clutch cable change?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
Sounds like the clutch is dragging when it gets hot to me...

If it's graunching on changes, it's defo either the synchros or the clutch dragging. Change the oil and see if it improves things, if not I bet you it's the clutch.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
(01-05-2016, 04:51 PM)DeeTurbo Wrote: Did you say it was ok before the clutch cable change?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Well before the change the bite was literally on the floor and couldn't really 'feel' the clutch through the stiff cable so I just thought it was my poor driving causing all the crunching and missing gears lol. In all honesty I don't have the best leg/hand co-ordination and do lift the clutch a bit quick occasionally causing a crunch but only like once a month, never as often as this lol!

(01-05-2016, 05:40 PM)Ruan Wrote: Sounds like the clutch is dragging when it gets hot to me...

If it's graunching on changes, it's defo either the synchros or the clutch dragging. Change the oil and see if it improves things, if not I bet you it's the clutch.

Yeah, that has been in the back of my mind! Hopefully it's not that but we'll see I guess! Will try the oil this week.
Thanks given by:
So... I do have pics but they're on the phone, I'm on the laptop...effort.

Anyway, drained all 800ml of gear oil... Confused There was quite a lot of metal flake in it but no teeth which is good. lol Refilled with the proper stuff (currently £16.90 at Citroen) but won't have the chance to drive it for a couple of days so no idea if it's fixed. I'm wondering if the driveshaft seal(s) are leaking but spilt some fresh oil on the diff anyway so cant tell now lol. Also the little white breather cap is missing, will that make a difference? I assume it won't have chucked 1.2 litres out of there though lol. Someone had the part number the other day, anyone got it to hand now?

Whilst down there I replaced the fog bulb with a spare, so I now have working fogs that I'll never use again. Tempted to paint them yellow though, got some spare amberlight lol.

Also refitted the new rear brake spring Sam gave me, the pad hasn't moved or rattled at all so not sure they're needed really though.

However while down there I realised why the rear handling is so good compared to usual, it's basically independent as the ARB isn't bolted in one side!! Yes, I do feel a bit silly now. Tongue But on the plus side, removing the ARB seems to stop it skipping round rough corners which is a huge bonus! lol

Is it a 'special' bolt for the ARB plate or will any 13mm head one do? I also need a 13mm bolt for the brake pipe/abs cable 'bracket' in front of the front strut, I assume that one isn't anything special though?
Thanks given by:
So pictures are more interesting than words lol... And on that note, my Photobucket is full, anyone recommend another site, preferably with less viruses and pop ups. And not the forum uploader lol.

Comedy rear end...

[Image: IMG_20160502_173642422_zpsdjaq4kl2.jpg]

For those that have never seen gear oil before...

[Image: IMG_20160503_155611850_HDR_zpsxo1c38t4.jpg]

This picture was before I dribbled oil everywhere, looks like the shaft seal wasn't leaking before! So where has all the oil gone? Confused

[Image: IMG_20160504_111547652_HDR_zpshykdv5ad.jpg]

So much access to refill it on the '6!

[Image: IMG_20160504_111559307_HDR_zpscd5fl9xw.jpg]

Floppy ARB

[Image: IMG_20160504_121135694_zps1f2gp4jq.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20160504_121148554_zpsqejspedq.jpg]

Brake spring (exciting, eh!)

[Image: IMG_20160504_121412676_zpsk4ynwzxb.jpg]

While I was down there, I did notice these small cracks in the filler elbow. The gauge read 3/4s when I got the car, if they were going to leak, would it leak at 3/4s or only when full? Of all the common 306s issues this is one I've never had before! Would like to know before I brim it in a few days lol.

[Image: IMG_20160504_121421771_HDR_zpsfb2wmnw7.jpg]
Thanks given by:
is grease in limited supply where you live for brakes??
90' 205 gti6 supercharged
05' Evo 9 IX GT

Team eaton.

Axle rebuilds please contact me for your needs.

https://www.facebook.com/axlesbystef/
Thanks given by:
(04-05-2016, 09:57 PM)Stef205 Wrote: is grease in limited supply where you live for brakes??

There was none on them at all when I got it, the squeal was unbearable! Unless you're referring to my 'sparing' use of cera-tec, it's bloody expensive so yeah, a small smear where it touches is all that's necessary! lol Haven't had a single squeal from them since I added that though. Big Grin
Thanks given by:
That elbow is fine, well, it isnt leaking. Mine leaked with 1/4 tank.
13mm head m8 standard bolt for the arb plate...I'd bet the old is snapped though
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(05-05-2016, 05:19 AM)Piggy Wrote: That elbow is fine, well, it isnt leaking. Mine leaked with 1/4 tank.
13mm head m8 standard bolt for the arb plate...I'd bet the old is snapped though

Ah, good, can remove the elbow from the 'broken or missing' list which seems to be growing lol.

Hmm, will be a pain if it is snapped, I didn't even think to check the hole! Though, that said, I have found quite a few bolts randomly missing or fingertight so far so there is hope for it.
Thanks given by:
Lots more things to do then! Fun times!
Thanks given by:
(05-05-2016, 05:19 AM)Piggy Wrote: 13mm head m8 standard bolt for the arb plate...I'd bet the old is snapped though

You get some Tom points... Sheared off flat, ah crap. Confused

I don't have tools to remove it so I guess it'll stay arb-less lol.

Have fitted the replacement gearbox breather though.

And stuck in £55 of Tesco Momentum 99... Was gonna go BP Ultimate but not at £1.20 a litre lol.
Thanks given by: