is my clutch about to fail ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
is my clutch about to fail ?
well basically , i am in two minds about my clutch failing on me .... i got the car roughly 2 months ago now and everything has been fine with the car ,, there is a bit of play on the clutch pedal which is quite annoying , and also the clutch is stiff to push down but when you release it  sometimes it likes to stick down for a second or 2 then spring back up ,,, but i did take it to a couple of garages to see what they though ,,,, one said straight away the clutch is about to fail  and another one said its fine 

if anyone has had any of these symptoms please get back to me ,,   the car is a 2001 "x" reg  306 hdi 

many thanks  

alex
Thanks given by:
I know it's a common issue on 306 hdi that the cable seizes up because it's routed near the exhaust. I looked into it as my pedal is really stiff. Mine is a 2000 hdi. Maybe it just needs a new cable? You could always disconnect the cable to see if it's sticking.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
Ping the spring off on the clutch pedal, watch your face
Thanks given by:
(15-04-2016, 02:10 AM)Paul_13 Wrote: Ping the spring off on the clutch pedal, watch your face

This would also be my first port of call
Thanks given by:
Seems that the cable return is not that good, that spring affair at the pedal may be to blame, but is cable sticking??

How are the white plastic bushes that the clutch "lever and shaft" rotate in in the gearbox bellhousing??

If your gunna replace the clutch ( does it slip?? ), replace the white plastic bushes also, they don't cost much.

Anyone found these plastic bushes worn thru and making the alloy gearbox holes "oval"??
Thanks given by:
I would hazard a guess at that spring too.

I have never seen those bushes completely worn out, no pug306, worn, but never all the way
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Almost certainly the spring on the pedal at fault here - if it hasn't been removed already. After removing it stamp on the pedal and step off it again quickly to reset the self-adjuster in the cable.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
When replacing a clutch, I presume that the clutch self adjust "rachet?? " will need to be unadjusted, for future reference, how is that done please?

Once unadjusted, does it need to be locked in that state before refitting the cable, and auto adjusted via the pedal??
Thanks given by:
No, just set it as above once the clutch has been changed.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by: