Indicator stalk, no movement, stuck?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Indicator stalk, no movement, stuck?
Hey guys

Weird thing that's just happened, indicator stalk seems to be stuck, and I can barely move it more than a few mm's up & down.

It no longer clicks & stays on, I have to hold it. Indicators still work, if I hold the stalk. Although sometimes the relay flashes fast

Any ideas?

PS; car is ph2 with front fogs
Thanks given by:
Mine melted last year, does it smell?
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
(07-04-2016, 07:58 AM)Mattcheese31 Wrote: Mine melted last year, does it smell?

Happened in my last 30 seconds of driving before work. Didn't seem to, although I have a 200 mile trip to do later tonight!
Thanks given by:
My heated rear screen relay melted, I checked them all after seeing that and my indicator relay looked a tad rough so i changed it. Could be that!
1.9 diesel Phase 2 - scrapped
1.8 meridian Phase 3 - going strong!
Thanks given by:
(07-04-2016, 08:07 AM)PugRory Wrote: My heated rear screen relay melted, I checked them all after seeing that and my indicator relay looked a tad rough so i changed it. Could be that!

But the stalk is physically stuck in the middle, like I can't press it up or down to get it to hold indicators on? I guess I'll take it out & try to disassemble the stalk itself to try to fix. Or buy a new/used stalk entirely
Thanks given by:
Buy another one, they're like a fiver used, not even worth the hassle of stripping tbh.
Thanks given by:
We had the same problem recently, 'new' stalk and jobs a gooden
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
To be fair mine completely melted so there was no fixing that, I did strip down another broken stalk and fix it though, I'm from the fix and make do generation, not like our Tom Wink lol
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Ok fair enough, thanks all! I'll have to drive home with less indicating than normal! 200 mile trip to do as well, not ideal!

Ordered a 'new' (used) one. Will replace once it arrives, perhaps strip & fix mine as a spare!
Thanks given by:
I'm from the 'its cheaper to replace than fix shit' generation. Wink

I never find 'fixing' stuff actually works though, stalks, motors, ICVs, etc...I've spent time trying to fix them, for it to last a week and then need replacing anyway lol.
Thanks given by:
you need to learn these skills, tom, as at some time, there ain't gunna be bits left. Sheared bleed nipple so "new " caliper required??

I'm coming at this from a "lack of money " angle, but agree, sometimes bits are unfixable, or more commonsensical to just replace. Heart
Thanks given by:
(07-04-2016, 10:31 AM)Toms306 Wrote: I'm from the 'its cheaper to replace than fix shit' generation. Wink

I never find 'fixing' stuff actually works though, stalks, motors, ICVs, etc...I've spent time trying to fix them, for it to last a week and then need replacing anyway lol.

haha I've got a bite, real mechanics used to fix stuff not replace it lol, my stalk is still going strong 7 months later Wink
Thanks given by:
yeah, true, but the more modern the bits, the more unfixable they are!! a throw away mentality and has been for many years.

However, old school will always try to find a "fix".......I aint paying £60 x 4 just for some rubber diaphragms that are " rolled retainer" ed on, un removable ( yeah right, unroll and make a screwed on retaining plate me thinks, size/room willing ) well not yet anyways!
Thanks given by:
My vacuum cleaner broke the other day, well, the cord fractured inside, did I let my wife go buy another? Fcuk that, had to strip the vacuum totally to pieces to replace the cable but done and excuse the expression, dusted! Big Grin throwing away is lazy and a bit problem in todays society, 9 times out of 10 things are fixable, saves you money, saves the environment and provides satisfaction and learning Smile
Thanks given by:
That's hardly the same... A wiper stalk costs a fiver, a Hoover costs £100!!

I do put more effort into fixing expensive things lol. Got given a petrol mower that was going to the dump about 5 years ago. It's old and shit but I managed to keep fixing it as they're expensive to buy lol.
Thanks given by:
Well, I tried to fix it yesterday as best I could, made it worse!

Inside, there is a pin with a small spring behind it that makes contact with a slider, the slider has intents in the middle & on both ends to make the indicators stick. I think the pin itself is worn, as it should be dome-shaped (from what I can tell) and mine is very pointed. Also the slider is un-even making the pin difficult to cross. I did my best to fix this up, but ended up with having the indicators on constantly. Took it apart maybe 5-6 times, same thing every time.

Somewhere it must be contacting constantly now, hence indicators on all the time, but couldn't see where. So I've given up, removed the pin completely, I have no indicators at all, but at least headlights/rear lights work. Waiting new stalk now! Luckily I don't really have to drive anywhere for the next few days
Thanks given by:
at least you tried dude.
Thanks given by: