What type of diesel fuel?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What type of diesel fuel?
(27-04-2016, 04:43 PM)JTaylor2005 Wrote: Probably only idiots like me who forget to check the prices Tongue lol

Ha, well I didn't like to say that but... lol
Thanks given by:
Well, admittedly not a scientific test, but the Shell does seem to have got me better MPG. 54.2mpg over the last tank, compared to 50 on the Sainsburys. Have tried BP again this time so we'll see what happens there...
Thanks given by:
Quick update.

For ages I have put off using Texaco fuel as I have heard bad things about it ages ago. This tank however I was very low on fuel and I thought what the hell, and filled up with a whole tank of texaco diesel.

Driving to work that night honestly I noticed the difference. No doubt in my mind that it was quieter and a lot smoother running. It also fires up quicker and easier than on other diesels I have used. I am waiting to find out what the MPG over the whole tank will be but its looking good so far.

Will keep you updated Smile
Thanks given by:
So Hydrocarbon.

Many chain.

Such covalent-bond.

Wow. Amaze.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
what were you using before?
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
Used pretty much everything so far apart from super market fuel and BP as there is no BP garage near me or on any of my routes
Thanks given by:
what are you comparing it to ?
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
What do you mean?
Thanks given by:
Okay then. So quick update on this Texaco diesel. Went back today to fill up. Used about half a tank but due to the millage I was on I was actually thinking something didn't seem right so I filled up.

I had covered 418.8 miles. The diesel was 113.9p per liter and the total cost to brim the tank was £35.82 which comes out to a huge 60.54mpg!

The highest I have ever seen out of this car over the year and a half I have owned it is 56 and that was on two 4 hour drives at a steady 70mph on a motorway most of the way.

Either Texaco diesel is actually really good stuff or I have found a very very generous fuel pump (don't think it's that though as it cost me almost the same as anywhere else to fill the tank from empty origionally)

[Image: 2388qw.jpg]
Thanks given by:
when i said what are you comparing it to i meant what fuel.. supermarket, ie tesco or asda cheap as chips value shite or some better fuel like shell or BP
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
Mine just gets filled from whatever supermarket I happen to be passing, typically Asda as that's just round the corner from my house.

I can't say I've ever noticed any difference whatsoever using supposed "premium" diesel fuel - performance and smoke seem the same and economy appears unchanged, or certainly within the usual fluctuation margins.

Interestingly, swapping tyres over to a set which scored highly on fuel efficiency (wasn't my reason for buying them mind you) did make a marked difference to economy that I hadn't expected - the three tanks since replacing the tyres have been the three most economical I've managed in over 40k miles, by a good 5% margin. New tyres are Dunlop BluResponse and the old ones were Falken 912.
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
I mean I am comparing the basics texaco fuel to the likes of shell, BP, esso and their premiums as well. I have tried a large range of fuels except supermarket ones. I have never run a car on supermarket fuel.

However having put the regular texaco diesel in smoke dropped, it runs smoother, starts quicker and as I have shown above the mpg over the first 2/3rd of a tank is much higher. Well impressed. 

If I decide to keep the car I shall probably change to a set of more economical tyres when these ones run out of tread as tbf no matter what tyres I put on my car seems to handle rubbish anyway.
Thanks given by:
That's probably a lot to do with asking epic amounts of questions about problems with your car and then not following it up by going out and fixing it. Tongue
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
I have done loads to the suspension. It's still dreadful and there is a rumble noise. Either way this is just mpg and fuel chat Wink which tbf I'm quite intrigued by as to how much difference texaco made and how did it do it haha.
Thanks given by:
Meh, i had nothing useful to contribute and felt like trolling, sue me. Big Grin
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Mine is also oddly high this week...more to do with the weather than the fuel I think!! Despite using the ac most of the time now.
Thanks given by:
If it was the weather I'm sure I would have had equally high mpg the other weeks of hot weather and last year when I had smaller thinner wheels as well.
Thanks given by:
If you say so... Tongue I would bet on it not being the fuel though haha. lol
Thanks given by:
Just seems odd that for 14 months I have never come close to what I calculate this tank :/ will see if it can keep it up
Thanks given by:
Honestly it's probably something to do with the pump itself, I got much worse economy on BP Ultimate compared to normal BP...but had to use a different station for the Ultimate with a newer style pump... So I'm fairly sure it was that.

Best bet it to use that same pump once or twice more and see if the tank MPG is still as good as the first one.
Thanks given by:
Well I thought it could be a generous pump but when I first used it to fill up it cost pretty much the same as what other pumps cost. +/- cost differences
Thanks given by:
No its the other way I think, rather than being generous the 'next' pump gives you less by clicking off early due to foaming or whatever, which makes it appear that you've used less fuel than you actually have... Same can happen when the tanks really empty I find.
Thanks given by:
The main portion of fuel is hydrocarbon chains... You can't have a tankful of betterer hydrocarbons... The chemical reaction that goes on is simply not able to be affected like that and cause a bump in the economy by that much... Nor can additives make that much difference!

It'll be something you've not even considered...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
(16-06-2016, 09:52 PM)Toms306 Wrote: No its the other way I think, rather than being generous the 'next' pump gives you less by clicking off early due to foaming or whatever, which makes it appear that you've used less fuel than you actually have... Same can happen when the tanks really empty I find.
That's why I stand there and brim it for bloody ages until it's literally at the fuel cap level, waiting for it to go down and level out each time
Thanks given by:
(16-06-2016, 10:15 PM)Ruan Wrote: The main portion of fuel is hydrocarbon chains... You can't have a tankful of betterer hydrocarbons... The chemical reaction that goes on is simply not able to be affected like that and cause a bump in the economy by that much... Nor can additives make that much difference!

My hydrocarbon chains bring all the boys to the yard.
And they're like, it's better than yours.
Damn right it's better than yours.
I could teach you, but I have to charge.
Thanks given by:
(17-06-2016, 04:58 AM)zx_volcane Wrote:
(16-06-2016, 10:15 PM)Ruan Wrote: The main portion of fuel is hydrocarbon chains... You can't have a tankful of betterer hydrocarbons... The chemical reaction that goes on is simply not able to be affected like that and cause a bump in the economy by that much... Nor can additives make that much difference!

Temprature of the fuel itself. Expands when hot meaning less fuel for your money.

Also lol tom
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
(17-06-2016, 04:38 AM)Paul_13 Wrote:
(16-06-2016, 09:52 PM)Toms306 Wrote: No its the other way I think, rather than being generous the 'next' pump gives you less by clicking off early due to foaming or whatever, which makes it appear that you've used less fuel than you actually have... Same can happen when the tanks really empty I find.
That's why I stand there and brim it for bloody ages until it's literally at the fuel cap level, waiting for it to go down and level out each time

That doesn't work with the EasyFuel on the Focus...I get diesel on the floor every time I go past 1st click lol. Sad
Thanks given by:
Yeah the only way to get meaningful mpg comparisons is to use the same pump every time and fill up in similar weather conditions - getting the last galleon (4.5 L)  in my 306 takes a lot of patience.
When I used to do a lot of regular long distance drives 500 miles+ I used to go to a nearby (cheap) esso station with a sloped forecourt and park with the filler cap facing up the slope (ie the high point) - it was much easier to get the last gallon in that way and I knew for sure that the tank was brim full.
I have never noticed any significant difference with mpg between brands - I use branded fuel because it is probably  purer and possibly better quality control.
Long distance driving also helps mpg - short journeys will ruin overall mpg.
As others have posted - warm weather will give better fuel economy - but filling up when ambient temperature is low will get more fuel in your car as Bash posted .

Quote:Temperature of the fuel itself. Expands when hot meaning less fuel for your money.
Thanks given by:
(16-06-2016, 06:11 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Mine is also oddly high this week...more to do with the weather than the fuel I think!!  Despite using the ac most of the time now.

Sorry but im really not convinced that AC makes a blind bit of difference to fuel economy on more modern cars. Ive done comparisons on all of mine and honestly cant tell the difference so i just leave the air con on all the time!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(16-06-2016, 05:50 PM)Poodle Wrote: Meh, i had nothing useful to contribute and felt like trolling, sue me. Big Grin

That's my job...

(20-06-2016, 09:38 AM)Niall Wrote:
(16-06-2016, 06:11 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Mine is also oddly high this week...more to do with the weather than the fuel I think!!  Despite using the ac most of the time now.

Sorry but im really not convinced that AC makes a blind bit of difference to fuel economy on more modern cars. Ive done comparisons on all of mine and honestly cant tell the difference so i just leave the air con on all the time!

In all honesty its about 0.5mpg if the system is gassed up and working well, as they are so efficient now,  and remember ack in the day A/C wasn't as tightly computer controlled. (climate control and the like) you either had it on and it blew freezing cold air until you turned it off or you didn't have it on.

I used to be able to turn the AC on with the temp on full in the winter in my first fiesta. beautiful for clearning the windscreen but a pain in the ass if you forgot to turn it off.

(16-06-2016, 09:45 PM)JTaylor2005 Wrote: Well I thought it could be a generous pump but when I first used it to fill up it cost pretty much the same as what other pumps cost. +/- cost differences

I think you will find that when it comes to "free stuff" and "especially free fuel"  there is no such thing as a "generous pump"

(17-06-2016, 06:10 AM)bashbarnard Wrote:
(17-06-2016, 04:58 AM)zx_volcane Wrote:

Temprature of the fuel itself. Expands when hot meaning less fuel for your money.

Also lol tom

density of petrol is approx. ~750g/L at 20degrees
the mean ground temperature from half a meter to about 15meters is between 8 and 11 degrees between winter and summer
Petrol's density changes between 0.5 and 1% depending on additives for every 5degree change in temperature

in the UK a "standard litre" of fuel (the density/mass of 1 litre of fuel, at 15degreesC)

so for a 60 litre tank, a very generous figure would be that the fuel, sold at 9 degrees will expand by 600ml in volume on a 15degree day which is negligible when you consider you don't fill a full tank

Forecourts are required to, if they have STA (Standard temperature adjustment) enabled equipment to leave it on all year. It is considered an offence under weights and measures, and sale of goods and services act to turn it on and off (for example off when its hot and they are selling less fuel by volume) and on in the winter when they are selling more fuel by volume to adjust the content to a given temperature.
/Toseland
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Front mounting 306 diesel fuel cooler boggs 26 6,262 27-10-2016, 07:52 AM
Last Post: maxaret
  Diesel Fuel Additive Treatment best ever shazilla 17 6,971 22-07-2015, 04:02 PM
Last Post: craig306