406 2.2 HDi Coupe.. Daily boost bus.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
406 2.2 HDi Coupe.. Daily boost bus.
I bought this off Zakk as I decided I wanted a comfy daily/motorway cruiser, and I really liked my old D9 saloon. Hopefully this will handle a bit better than the saloon too! It's been rear ended so will need some persuading with a porta power, a new bumper and a bootlid. Aside from that there's very little work required to get it back on the road. Current plans are simply to fix the damage and drive it, allowing me to take the HDi off the road and install more boost. Long term, I'll be fitting an epic audio system, a Raspberry pi for gauges and to replace the headunit, and invariably a bigger boost snail. Going to aim for 250 BHP eventually.

Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
As you know, I'm a huge fan of these. If I didn't have the caravan to tow I'd get one but tow bars are near impossible to find!
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
I always wanted one of these but were out of my budget and insurance budget when i was looking at them. Lovely cars!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
I almost very nearly bought this! Was a complete steal with the amount of work gone into it.
Thanks given by:
(03-04-2016, 03:59 PM)THE_Liam Wrote: As you know, I'm a huge fan of these. If I didn't have the caravan to tow I'd get one but tow bars are near impossible to find!

There was a bloke at the Ace day with a silver edition coupe with the 2.2HDi lump and factory removable tow bar.
Thanks given by:
Looking forward to seeing it back on the road, I just didn't want to spend the time/money fixing it if I was just going to sell it after.
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
So.. A long overdue update, although there's not much to tell. I had the rear end damage fixed, changed the front and rear bumpers, welded the back box back on, cleaned up the brakes, fixed the headlight washers and stuck it in for an MOT.. Which it passed once I'd sorted the tc light that I'd broken by tracking it.. 

Since then, I've been driving it daily and apart from the brembos squealing and the suspension being bouncy and too low, it's great! Just done a 1400 mile round trip to Scotland and back with no issues, averaging 50 mpg despite driving like a lady garden  Itwasntme

And a picture for those with a short attention span.. 

Thanks given by:
Better dampers maybe to cope with the lows?

Comfy for the trip?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Yeah, it certainly feels like it needs better damping. The issue is also the non existent ground clearance..

Comfy as f*ck on the motorway and a-roads though.

Thanks given by:
I always found mine to be comfy as f*ck. Hopefully sorting out better dampers isn't too expensive for you as it looks pretty awesome at that height.
Thanks given by:
Very jealous, looks like an epic car, and epic scenery also Jonny!
Thanks given by:
Update.. I'm still driving this daily, not much has changed. I've dropped a straight pipe on, which sounds amazing. I've also changed the cambelt, done a full service and rewired the radio as the wiring was horrendous. Next I'll be doing the clutch as it's only just holding in 4th and 5th so it's time for a helix. I'm also looking at getting the gearbox rebuilt at the same time as it's starting to crunch 4th, and from what I can see 6 speed boxes are prohibitively expensive so I may as well keep the one I've got.

Thanks given by:
My 2.2 C5 with a straight pipe used to howl down through it.

That said, i still have the C5 Gearbox on the floor if thats the same as the 406.

only a 5 speed unfortunately. ML variant.
Thanks given by:
Mine's 5 speed as well.. Is the box any good? How much do you want for it?

Thanks given by:
Seemed to be fine, all smooth, no whines and the oil that was drained was clean from what i can remember been dry stored in a corner of the shed.

£60, can send numbers/photos across later if interested and if helps see if it would fit..
Thanks given by:
Properly lost the love for this over Christmas.. The gearbox I bought off Mark has a different casing despite looking identical so doesn't fit, so I've had the box off an back on for no reason.. Totally my fault, but properly infuriating.  And after driving another 1k miles 4th really is f*cked, barely possible to change without crunching. The shocks have now completely given up, I've yet to put it on a ramp to check but the nsf has definitely blown the seals. The turbo has also died, it was always a bit loud but now wot for more than about 10 seconds puts it in limp mode and the code is for turbo solenoid but you can hear it's f*cked. Maybe it's just the solenoid, but it's needing a blower regardless. Coupled with the clutch that slips like mad in 4th and 5th, this makes driving it absolutely rubbish. 
My brother then decided to push me across a car park on boxing day, something I don't normally mind with my daily cars, I'm not precious about them, but he split my rear bumper that I already replaced.. Oh, and one cold morning the driver's seat release cable snapped. 

I'm aware I'm my own worst enemy for the most part, I don't drive very sympathetically, especially my daily drivers. But to make it reliable again I'm looking at spending a lot of time and money on a car I really don't need as my 306 hdi will be back on the road reasonably soon. 

So, the question is.. Does anyone want it as a whole, or should I break it. It owes me too much to just scrap it, but I can't justify spending the money to put it right.

Thanks given by:
I don't think anyone would buy it whole for more than a few hundred quid. You'll probably make more money breaking it due to what the panels are worth.
Thanks given by:
Sad to see that it's got issues dude, same place as I got to when you bought it off me, just cba to do anything else to it after sorting all the neglect from the previous owners.
I was pretty disappointed with the suspension, new Bilstein b4 and they've lasted what? 15-20k? Pretty poor show considering

At least it's already solid flywheel converted though!
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stu's coupe. BMW content.. disco stu 87 25,648 05-10-2014, 06:14 PM
Last Post: disco stu