headgasket - changed!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
headgasket - changed!
Ok so after messing about for an eternity getting the black zx sitting right front and back - looks like the head gasket has given up, nice bit of pressure in the system and an epic oil leak from the front left of the block.

Anything else to change or fiddle with whilst I'm at it and have the engine in bits?

Obs will do cambelt and waterpump...
Thanks given by:
If you are going for big power it might be worth looking into lowering the compression?
Thanks given by:
Give it all a good clean. Manifolds and ports and so on
Also as your there cambelt and water pump :-)
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
He said he would do belt and pump in the first post phil Tongue
Thanks given by:
Whateverrrr lol I read i t all but the last line hahah
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Took best part of 3 days to do headgasket, including belt/waterpump

Not in itself difficult, but some parts are just fiddly and time consuming. Tool of the day goes to the magnetic pen for retrieving all sorts, especially little bolts that drop down the bottom cam cover you just put on.

Gasket had completely blown out on left front hand corner where the oil comes up.

Pre combustion chambers looked a bit cracked, but weren't protruding, had a look at a spare head and they were cracked too. Common?

Changed the turbo for another k14 as it was whistling (looked like a slightly bent fin on the impeller, had no play in the shaft, guess something had gone through at some point or ran without a filter) and fitted an mbc while it was all off.

I'm almost convinced it'd be easier to pull the engine and do it on the floor and drop the engine back in, my arms are too long and hands too big.

Noticed its got a D8A block too.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cambelt changed 25k, 11 years ago - does it need changing? heyitsroth 7 1,810 08-05-2017, 12:44 AM
Last Post: heyitsroth
  MLS headgasket enquiries. 205dtub 14 3,915 18-02-2015, 11:56 PM
Last Post: vinny
  Headgasket failure? AdamInNi 3 1,300 31-08-2014, 10:16 PM
Last Post: AdamInNi