307 2.0 HDI Alternator Fit 306 HDI?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
307 2.0 HDI Alternator Fit 306 HDI?
Hi

Anyone know if a 307 2.0 HDI alternator will physically fit a 306 HDI? CL15 150A type. Mine is dying (13.7V at idle, whining and battery light on goes off if revved). 307 alternators seem plentiful in supply used.. I know the 307 type has a 2 pin plug to contend with and it has a clutch pulley (looks same diameter?).

Thanks in advance
Thanks given by:
Same engine afaik, not sure about pulley.
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
I've been thinking about this to, though there is no issue with mine. Just wondered if there was much benefit from having an altenator with the clutch pulley on it
Thanks given by:
Cheers - from doing a bit more research it looks like it should work (there was a post on theywhoshallnotbenamed.. - google 307 hdi alternator 306net)

I've bought a used one from eBay so will let you know if it works when I get round to fitting!

Supposedly the clutch pulley will reduce noise from the aux belt setup and extend the life of the belt (less stress on it). Only downside is the clutch pulleys can fail.
Thanks given by:
It will fit done this loads of times,just because that's all I had laying around,the only one that doesn't fit is from a 607 and boxer 2.2hdi
God I know some shit lol
No know benefit am afraid thought
And like he says down side is the unreliable you get from a clutched pulley.
Thanks given by:
Managed to fit one without any issues! Exciter wire/battery light needs wiring to pin 1 on the 2 pin connector on the 307 alternator. I'm sure it runs quieter with the clutched pulley.
Thanks given by:
probably a few more mpg's too.... would be interesting to look at this conversion and see..
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
(24-04-2016, 05:12 PM)Tom85 Wrote: Managed to fit one without any issues! Exciter wire/battery light needs wiring to pin 1 on the 2 pin connector on the 307 alternator. I'm sure it runs quieter with the clutched pulley.

How did you go about sorting the wiring? As the 307 1 has a plug not a stud to put the signal wire on.
Thanks given by:
I've done the same.

I've cut the little ring off and crimped a small spade on but I've been down the breakers today and got a plug off a loom and I'll be soldering the plug to my loom for extra neatness, also so the plug is weather proof.
Thanks given by:
Don't solder car fittings
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
Yes I've heard that soldered cables tend to fracture but I hate ugly crimps and to heat shrink them so moisture doesn't get in is a bit more difficult.
Thanks given by:
You can get heatshrink crimp terminals with (stuff like) hot glue in the h/s section for sealing duties.

I've heard lots about soldered cables in cars suffering from vibration stress fractures, but the home made soldered loom in my '72 series 3 land rover is still working fine 10 years on... Maybe real leaded solder is the secret.

Edit: All of the 'lots' I've heard has never been first hand experience, always more like "Dave down the pub said" - I'm not denying it happens (and I've seen it first hand in aviation situations) but I don't believe it's as big a problem as is made out in automotive use.
Thanks given by:
I grabbed a 2 pin plug from a scrappy and crimped the single wire onto it (cutting off the original connector). I used heat shrink over the crimp (non insulated type)

The 2 pin plugs are used a lot on the HDI for various sensors so easy to source!
Thanks given by:
Come to think of it I think the same connector is used on the vac valves on the solenoids for the EGR and doser. The early HDI's have the plug for the doser spare to.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
Ok cheers ill have a look later to see if i can find a plug. Which wire does it need to go onto on the plug though?
Thanks given by:
Why not disassemble the new plug and wire it in directly?
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Yeah I thought about about this afternoon as I might have to do that on the '6 lambda connector.
Thanks given by:
Bottom pin on the alternator (pin 1 on the plug I think) for battery light/exciter.
Thanks given by:
Got a 307 alternator fitted on mine now. What i did when i fitted mine was pop the back off the alternator off the 307 and and pop the back bit off the 306 1 onto it so then you can just use the signal wire for the 306 rather than pissing about with the plug on the 307 1. Was dead easy to do.

The first cover was 1 screw and 2 nuts, then there's 3 screws on the next bit. Thats the bit that you have to swap over.

[Image: DF71A23B-9016-4827-A4F2-F44446FB85F1_zpsfxqodcio.jpg]

[Image: 952ED4EA-ED17-4009-A723-3C9FE99BA43F_zpsjrm4wrja.jpg]

All back together and no one would know its been apart.

[Image: A9D7852D-B53C-4465-858B-F5DE7F8C2C54_zpsvcuycjde.jpg]
Thanks given by:
useful you can do that, though thats the part that controls 5ge voltage coming out, so a bit pointless the o.p doing that.

he could of course just replace that part on his if the bearings are good
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
Good tip swapping the regulator - unfortunately mine was duff on the one I replaced and the alternator was whining too. Supposedly refurbished and I spent £75 on it in 2014! I think the refurbishment must have considered of spraying it with some silver paint! Ah well my 307 one was £17.50 instead :-)
Thanks given by: