Coolant radiator refilling procedure

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coolant radiator refilling procedure
Rainbow 
I'm just wanting to know the best way to do the coolant radiator refilling procedure on the 306 hdi.

Also all the bleeding points and best places to take pipes of as well.

I want to see if I can fix the temp and fans problems so worth a try.

Thanks
Thanks given by:
There's a plastic plug you can unscrew at bottom of radiator. I did my timing belt and water pump last weekend but just filled up after and was fine. Didn't didn't need bleeding.
Thanks given by:
(20-03-2016, 08:26 PM)jjwilde69 Wrote: There's a plastic plug you can unscrew at bottom of radiator. I did my timing belt and water pump last weekend but just filled up after and was fine. Didn't didn't need bleeding.

I've had a look on my radiator new one it doesn't have the plastic plug at the bottom it's a blank.
Thanks given by:
Oh right. You'll probably have to loosen the pipe and pull it off. I just left the cap off when I refilled it till the water started circulating and put heater on hot
Thanks given by:
You were lucky to get away without bleeding it tbh, they don't self bleed easily with the header tank being lower than the matrix pipes.

Bleed points are on the heater matrix pipes and on the thermostat. Without a drain point you'll have to remove the bottom hose...it'll probably be impossible without causing damage to either the hose or radiator on a phase 3 these days! I would just top it up and bleed it first, rather than trying to drain it.
Thanks given by:
Yeah I never drained the radiator so maybe that helped. I just let it flood out when i knocked off the water pump lol
Thanks given by:
Something like this .....

There's a drain plug on the bottom left of the rad (battery side). Just loosen it.
There is a bleed screw on the bulk head (battery side), and also on the thermostat housing. Both blue I think.
When filling I use a litre plastic bottle with the bottom cut off. Wrap tape around the bottle nozzle and jam it in the header tank, so it is a good fit and don't leak. Fill up the engine with water, and leave the bottle almost filled (to give you some head!), so the water level is above the bleed points. Close the bleeders when fluid emerges. Run the engine until the coolant is warm. Bleed again. Remove bottle and put header tank cap back on.
Shove a hose pipe on anywhere you can and flush the rad and engine as best you can.

Steve
Thanks given by:
I seen the bleed one on the heater matrix I didn't know there was on the thermostat.

So empty radiator then flush out with hose pipe. 

Then run engine with heaters on full power hot and refill coolant but with both bleed open once both starting coming out the system clear of air?

How many liters water then antifreeze needed for both?

Thanks
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  change radiator to none hdi radiator Leemus 2 1,480 23-02-2017, 08:47 PM
Last Post: bashbarnard
  coolant refilling procedure rd070707 20 3,348 25-01-2014, 01:59 AM
Last Post: Tom