306 not going into 5th gear?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
306 not going into 5th gear?
Hi guys! Smile

Last night I went out for a drive with my mum and we went on the a27,

I went to change into 5th gear and it wouldn't go in.

I tried about 5/6 times but it just made a whirring sound like screeching (not high pitched though - the noise it makes when you need to change up a gear) but it wasn't in 3rd, then there was a burning smell so I went back into 4th until I got off the 27.

I have no idea why it was doing it.

but a couple of weeks ago the car was making this loud vibrating humming sound/feeling - like when you drive on the white line on side of the road. but I was doing 30/40mph.

its just weird and probably nothing, but wanted to find out if anyone knew what it was/had similar exp with it.

Taa Smile love Charley Heart Blush
[Image: 2hq9i7o.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Is this a little 1.6 or 1.4? If so gearbox gone. Really common
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by: Pipsqueakaboo
Does it go into gear if you say change from 4th to neutral, clutch up, then clutch down and attempt to change to 5th?
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
(23-03-2016, 12:38 PM)bashbarnard Wrote: Is this a little 1.6 or 1.4? If so gearbox gone. Really common

Hi, yes its a 1.4L 1999 Meridian x

(23-03-2016, 12:46 PM)Midnightclub Wrote: Does it go into gear if you say change from 4th to neutral, clutch up, then clutch down and attempt to change to 5th?

I haven't tried that,

I did take it out of 4th then was really trying to put it into 5th but it wouldn't do it, and I know it wasn't in 3rd as the car didn't jolt forward and go slower than it was.

It was like it was in 5th but not, at the same time if you see what I mean lol x Blush
Thanks given by:
new gear box time i reckon. Luckily they should be cheap. its the labour fitting it where the cost will be.
(23-03-2016, 01:08 PM)Eeyore Wrote: new gear box time i reckon. Luckily they should be cheap. its the labour fitting it where the cost will be.

Noooooo Sad

just about to move into my first flat so now way would I be able to afford it for the first few months Sad

will it be okay to use around town for the time being?
Thanks given by:
5th gear nut probably come off, or just a shot synchro, lack of oil, etc, impossible to say without taking the end cover off at least.

doesnt always mean new box time.
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
(23-03-2016, 01:19 PM)Pipsqueakaboo Wrote:
(23-03-2016, 01:08 PM)Eeyore Wrote: new gear box time i reckon. Luckily they should be cheap. its the labour fitting it where the cost will be.

Noooooo Sad

just about to move into my first flat so now way would I be able to afford it for the first few months Sad

will it be okay to use around town for the time being?

No idea. If its broken its broken so I guess using all the working gears is okay until it properly breaks and you're stranded...

Does it still vibrate horribly? Best to get it looked at really if so.
Does it go into fifith if your just sat in the car with the engine off?
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
(23-03-2016, 04:53 PM)Matt-Rallye Wrote: Does it go into fifith if your just sat in the car with the engine off?

hey I haven't tried, my dad told me last night to try it, but was in bed so weren't going out to the car lol x
Thanks given by:
(23-03-2016, 04:57 PM)Pipsqueakaboo Wrote:
(23-03-2016, 04:53 PM)Matt-Rallye Wrote: Does it go into fifith if your just sat in the car with the engine off?

hey I haven't tried, my dad told me last night to try it, but was in bed so weren't going out to the car lol x

Don't be so lazy and go try your gearbox Tongue

If it doesn't go into 5th when your sat still then it could be a linkage problem which doesn't mean a new gearbox.

If it goes into gear but seems stiff or notchy (basically if it doesnt feel right) then there is most likely a problem internally with the gearbox. luckily with yours being a 1.4 its a nice easy god to change and if you find a friendly mechanic im sure they wouldn't overcharge Smile
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
(23-03-2016, 04:59 PM)Matt-Rallye Wrote:
(23-03-2016, 04:57 PM)Pipsqueakaboo Wrote:

Don't be so lazy and go try your gearbox Tongue

If it doesn't go into 5th when your sat still then it could be a linkage problem which doesn't mean a  new gearbox.

If it goes into gear but seems stiff or notchy (basically if it doesnt feel right) then there is most likely a problem internally with the gearbox. luckily with yours being a 1.4 its a nice easy god to change and if you find a friendly mechanic im sure they wouldn't overcharge Smile

Ha-ha I'm not lazy lol, was just warm and comfy and it was cold outside, ill try it today when I get back from work Tongue

okay ill take note of what you said and ill check both these. x
Thanks given by:
Dead easy as said to check 5th out on these, all of 5 minutes to get the cover off, parts not the cheapest but a used one isn;t easy to find as most don;t split box's, also most used ones will be in the same state,
Overall Road Going Production Class Winner at BARC Gurston Down Speed Hillclimb 2012, 2013 & 2014 With a class record along the way (For a while), Taking 2nd place will be Ian Redding's 306 GTi
2016 Castle Combe GT championship class winner
Thanks given by:
Hey!

my boyf got it in 5th gear twice while driving, so either I'm a flange who cant put it in gear or it was dodgy that night.

He said it might need a bit of oil on the gears as it might have been catching x
Thanks given by:
get a new boyfriend, a proper one would have fixed it :p
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Sure you're pushing the clutch all the way in? Wink
(24-03-2016, 09:04 AM)welshpug Wrote: get a new boyfriend, a proper one would have fixed it :p

Oi cheek lol, were in the process of moving house this weekend so kinda not high on the priorty list lol.

and its like just across town so I wont need to go into 5th :Tongue

(24-03-2016, 09:34 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Sure you're pushing the clutch all the way in? Wink

haha I am Wink otherwise I wouldn't have been able to take it up to 4th gear Tongue x
Thanks given by:
Try changing the oil, if not its new sycro or change of box haha
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!